D&D 5E 2020 Release Speculation Thread

Mercurius

Legend
Rather than guess the next year, I'll cop-out and guess through 2022, so the next two and a half years.

So we've had Wildemount and will have Theros in a few months. The next ten books, in some order, will be:

• Story Arc 1 (Underdark/aberrations/illithid/drow)
  • Story Arc 2 (possibly Dalelands/Myth Drannor-themed)
  • Story Arc 3 (tied to Planes and/or epic level)
  • Adventure compilation (Tales 2 - possibly Dalelands-themed)
  • Manual of the Planes/Planescape
  • Another Magic setting book (Zendikar or Dominaria would be my guess, but possibly Kaladesh, Innistrad, Ixalan, etc)
  • Xanathar 2 (so to speak, possibly with psionics and/or epic)
  • Dark Sun (But not a straight up setting, more of an "adventures in the Tyr Region")
  • Monster book (next in Volo's/Mordenkainen's line)
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

Last edited:

Yesterday I saw a possible "teaser" about spiders. I guess we could see a story arc about the spider queen, Lolth, and the drows.

Maybe a "Xanxost's guide of the planes". I would like the return of the mechanatrixes, a planetouched race from Mechanus (Fiend Folio 3rd).

We will see a Fiend Folio, but it will be more a compilation of monsters published in other books.

DS will be published after the psionic powers, and the metaplot will be frozen until to produce some media title, maybe a movie, a cartoon or a serie in Netflix.

Maybe in 2021 we will see a Heroes of Horror and a compilation of modules about the grand conjuction in Ravenloft.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Story Arc 1 (Underdark/aberrations/illithid/drow)
I'm not expecting an Underdark themed adventure. We already have Out of the Abyss. I do want another, but I do not think we'll get another for a long time.
Story Arc 2 (possibly Dalelands/Myth Drannor-themed)
I also don't see a Dalelands or Myth Drannor book coming out anytime soon. I really do think the next book will be a Neverwinter adventure, possibly aberration themed.
Story Arc 3 (tied to Planes and/or epic level)
I don't think it'll be a story arc connected to the planes, but I could see an adventure compilation with planescape adventures.
Adventure compilation (Tales 2 - possibly Dalelands-themed)
Again, I don't think we're getting a dalelands book anytime soon, but an adventure compilation seems possible for the first release of 2021. My guess would be either desert themed adventures or horror adventures. I'd love an Underdark themed adventure compilation, but I don't think it's likely.
Manual of the Planes/Planescape
Xanathar 2 (so to speak, possibly with psionics and/or epic)
So, I think these two books are likely to be one and the same. I don't think that psionics will be included in this book, I believe it'll be reserved for the Dark Sun book, but I do agree that a Xanathar's 2.0 and a Planescape manual are coming out soon.
Dark Sun (But not a straight up setting, more of an "adventures in the Tyr Region")
I also disagree with this. I think if there's a Dark Sun book coming out it'll be a full setting book akin to Eberron: Rising from the Last War and will include psionic options and hopefully a psionic class. It'll also include Mul, Thri-Kreen, and possibly goliaths.
Monster book (next in Volo's/Mordenkainen's line)
This book will probably come out in the next couple years. It'll probably contain more races/subraces, as Volo's and Mordenkainen's did, but probably not many. I have no idea what the theme of the book would be, but I'd love more Archfey and Archfiends.
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
I don't know if/when this would come out, but I want it to come out sometime.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, I think these two books are likely to be one and the same. I don't think that psionics will be included in this book, I believe it'll be reserved for the Dark Sun book, but I do agree that a Xanathar's 2.0 and a Planescape manual are coming out soon.

I think you are right they would be one and the same. Keep in mind, in regards to Psionics, that the Gith are one of the main Planescape Race options traditionally. Reprinting the Gith Race rules, with some Psionic Feats and Subclasses...just makes sense.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think you are right they would be one and the same. Keep in mind, in regards to Psionics, that the Gith are one of the main Planescape Race options traditionally. Reprinting the Gith Race rules, with some Psionic Feats and Subclasses...just makes sense.
I agree that Gith seem like they'd be likely to be printed with psionic options, but I think it's a lot more likely for Psionic options to be printed in a Dark Sun book. Also, I think Dark Sun is the most likely of the older campaign settings to be reprinted.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree that Gith seem like they'd be likely to be printed with psionic options, but I think it's a lot more likely for Psionic options to be printed in a Dark Sun book. Also, I think Dark Sun is the most likely of the older campaign settings to be reprinted.

It doesn't have to be one or the other: the two most recent books share reprints with each other (Orc & Goblinoid PC rules).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It doesn't have to be one or the other: the two most recent books share reprints with each other (Orc & Goblinoid PC rules).
Normally the reprints are just races, but I could see it happening if there is no psionic class coming out. If they're planning on making a psionic class, then they could feasibly reprint 3-4 subclasses in the Dark Sun book.

Dark Sun is a very very long way off. Before they even start to plan a Dark Sun setting book the need to sort out the psionics issue, and given that the current UA is unlikely to make the required 70% approval rate, that's not happening any time soon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Dark Sun is a very very long way off. Before they even start to plan a Dark Sun setting book the need to sort out the psionics issue, and given that the current UA is unlikely to make the required 70% approval rate, that's not happening any time soon.

I wouldn't bet either against or for the recent material: it could go either way. Doubt that it is currently being considered for an upcoming Dark Sun book, but would fit other products that they might be cooking up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases