D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

To everyone that DM, do you impose some sort of penalty to casting area spells in melee range or do you assume perfect accuracy? for example, targeting a fireball just behind an opponent next to you so the enemy is in the blast and not the spellcaster? It's just a question I have because the bastion tried to cast a 30 ft cube next to him, that require... confidence. Not that his player lacks any confidence....
With maps & minis, sure, both players and monsters. With ToTM, I usually rule that you can hit X bad guys without hitting your allies (2-4, depending on area), but hit more than that, and you'll catch your allies, too.

It is very clear. He knows he will be defeated and starts to cheating.

Honestly? With another player in the setup proposed by the fearsome pirate, I'd have proposed a temporary alliance against Yeenoghu. Two level 20 casters, mounted, with simulacrum at full effect against a "mere" CR 24 creature would have been fun. And thematic.

Hohige

Explorer
Honestly? With another player in the setup proposed by the fearsome pirate, I'd have proposed a temporary alliance against Yeenoghu. Two level 20 casters, mounted, with simulacrum at full effect against a "mere" CR 24 creature would have been fun. And thematic.
Nice.
We can bind it (y)

Yeenoghu can't fly, It isnt a challenge.

Tiamat is a better challenge.

To everyone that DM, do you impose some sort of penalty to casting area spells in melee range or do you assume perfect accuracy? for example, targeting a fireball just behind an opponent next to you so the enemy is in the blast and not the spellcaster? It's just a question I have because the bastion tried to cast a 30 ft cube next to him, that require... confidence. Not that his player lacks any confidence....

Unless there is some sort of obscurement or other factor making it difficult to place I would generally just let them drop things accurately. It's magic.

Thank you fearsomepirate for your patience. The imminent demise of the sorcerer, lacking 8th and 9th spell slots and in close range of the two wizards with their full complement of high level slots, was countered only the Yeenoghu's will to consign both players to the service of Iuz.

I am not sure we'll find other volunteers to DM this after it is demonstrated that, beside lenient ruling in his favour with regard to backpedaling, the referee is... less than respected in his rulings.

Hohige

Explorer
Thank you fearsomepirate for your patience. The imminent demise of the sorcerer, lacking 8th and 9th spell slots and in close range of the two wizards with their full complement of high level slots, was countered only the Yeenoghu's will to consign both players to the service of Iuz.

I am not sure we'll find other volunteers to DM this after it is demonstrated that, beside lenient ruling in his favour with regard to backpedaling, the referee is... less than respected in his rulings.
Not if if you elected, you still I still have level 8th spell slot (My Simulacrum casted Horrid Wilding, not the Bastion), you were on my turn, you already had Empowered Horrid Wilding on your stomach, with your ridiculous 100 HP.

Your Yuant-ti Sorcerer died.

But, his death would not have happened. Our DM even forgot my actions.

@fearsomepirate I applaud your patience. It's more than I would have had.

@Galandris too. You said the build was unoptimized, and even though you took an approach that was ... less direct than I would have, you demonstrated that the OP is clueless, and pathetic, and not really worth anyone's time or energy.

Thanks. I could have been... more direct. But my goal was to dominate the bastion (without having explicitely dominate on the list) in order to force him to Wish to permanently become a stone chicken. This precluded direct action.

On that note, this is me checking out. It's clear the OP has no real interest in the endeavor, because of the chance that he might lose, and he's simply not worth my attention.

Though, it's hysterical that he tried to cast a spell that explicitly doesn't harm constructs, on a construct.

Yes. That made my day... Good night all.

Remove ads