D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

pwhimp

Explorer
1) "You shape an illusory duplicate of one beast or Humanoid that is within range for the entire Casting Time of the spell. The duplicate is a creature, partially real and formed from ice or snow, and it can take Actions and otherwise be affected as a normal creature. It appears to be the same as the original, but it has half the creature's hit point maximum and is formed without any Equipment. Otherwise, the Illusion uses all the Statistics of the creature it duplicates."

Simulacrum is a construct that has your statistic. It doesn't have any goal or personalities.

Their personalities and goals

2) When you turn a Simulacrum into a True Polymorph.
"If the spell becomes permanent, you no longer control the creature. It might remain friendly to you, depending on how you have treated it."

The Wizard no longer control them.
I think you're misunderstanding. The simulacrum casts dream on the true polymorphed wizard.

I also realized that dispelling true polymorph isn't necessary. The beholders can just bite you until you drop the form. Save those valuable spell slots.

If you can glyph of warding a dream on yourself then you don't even need the simulacrum.

Hohige

Explorer
I think you're misunderstanding. The simulacrum casts dream on the true polymorphed wizard.

I also realized that dispelling true polymorph isn't necessary. The beholders can just bite you until you drop the form. Save those valuable spell slots.

If you can glyph of warding a dream on yourself then you don't even need the simulacrum.
The Simulacrum doesn't control the Wizard
Well, The Beholder defeats the Simulacrum.
The Wizard is a Beholder.

pwhimp

Explorer
The Simulacrum doesn't control the Wizard
Well, The Beholder defeats the Simulacrum.
Why? True polymorph doesn't change the mind, just the body. The true polymorphed wizard wouldn't kill their simulacrum and the new beholders share the original's personality and goals

ccooke

Adventurer
So, let's see... 57 hit points?

And we're allowed to know roughly where he is, but not exactly because he's a "master of disguise", right?

Sleep.

Sleep will always target the creature with the lowest number of HP in its area first. All the minions have at least 60-odd, so as long as you pick an area within 20' of the sorcerer, they're getting targeted first.

Sleep will put to sleep 5d8 hp worth of creatures and has no save. It's all or nothing, so unless you meet or exceed their current total, nothing happens.
If you cast it at higher levels, you get an extra 2d8 worth of HP per slot, though.

If you cast Sleep at 9th level, that's 21d8. Running the numbers... 21d8 has a 99.990% chance of rolling 57 or higher. Even an 8th level slot has a 99.8% chance of working.

(We've seen that the magic jar trick doesn't work, so he's still an Aasimar and not immune to magical sleep. Obviously you cast it when Mind Blank is not active, as has been discussed. I am entirely happy to provide a silly and contrived method for how a character can get within range to cast this spell, anyway)

I honestly think that sleep is the most humane thing to do to this poor character. Don't even do anything afterwards - just make the poor thing sleep on a surface for a little bit. Maybe provide a blanket?

I'm sure in the morning, everything will look much better. If someone hasn't used the opportunity to cast meteor swarm, anyway.

Hohige

Explorer
Why? True polymorph doesn't change the mind, just the body. The true polymorphed wizard wouldn't kill their simulacrum and the new beholders share the original's personality and goals
No. Just alignment and personality.
Without memory and knowledge. Well the Simulacrum is dead and the Wizard is a Beholder

Creature into Creature. If you turn a creature into another kind of creature, the new form can be any kind you choose whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s (or its level, if the target doesn’t have a challenge rating). The target’s game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the new form. It retains its alignment and personality.

FireLance

Legend
Ok, let's recap.

The sorcerer has 60 galvan magen, reducing his hit points by 180.

The sorcerer remains in his original body because magic jar doesn't work that way.

The sorcerer does not have a simulacrum of a drow matron mother because that would be outside the scope the character's abilities.

The Diviner wizard has discovered his identity with a good Intelligence (Investigation) check and has been harassing the sorcerer every night with dream.

The sorcerer has finally had enough! On a day after he makes his saving throw against the dream and has recovered all his spell slots, sorcery points and hit points, he emerges from his lair and starts randomly destroying stuff because he doesn't know who the wizard is. Now the wizard can engage him directly.

The wizard has used a wish to cast find greater steed, giving him a pegasus. They fly to the sorcerer and when they get close, the wizard uses his 9th level slot to cast invulnerability, which is shared with the pegasus. The pegasus has a fly speed of 90 feet and easily outpaces any of the sorcerer's minions, keeping a distance of about 120 feet from the sorcerer's group at all times. This puts the wizard out of range from anything but the celestial spirits' ranged attacks and the sorcerer and the simulacrum's spells which deal no damage because of invulnerability.

The wizard then proceeds to unload his daily complement of attack spells. Every galvan magen killed is a galvan magen the sorcerer can't get back because he has no more hit points left. If the sorcerer and his minions aren't all dead by then, the wizard flies off, keeping one 5th-level spell slot for dream, and repeats this the next day.

Last edited:

Of course. I hope you too will be able to defeat HUN-HAT! I have all confidence.

Meanwhile, here is my course of action for the situation mentionned above.

Everything occurs like in the Alfred post up until the moment he casts Scrying. The locator appear, being seen as a glowing luminous ball by creatures that can see invisibility. Knowing somehow it's a threat, HUN-HAT engages his usual behaviour in that case: he asks the drow matron mother to cast her unique and non renewable Summon Retriever and order her to run toward Alfred. The HUN-HAT takes not of the bearing and starts destroying everything on his path, seemingly ready to do that for the next few months.

Alfred then had a pause, while facing his mirror revealing the surrounding of the HUN-HAT. He knew the girl. Her once-fierce look had subsided, replaced by a demeanor of subserviance, but he recognized her fine black skin and her silky white hair. It was Eilirilia... she hadn't changed over the past 40 years... Then, Alfred wept. He had thought the avatar of Ilmater knocking on his door was a prank. But no. It was not. Ilmater really spoke to him, not because he wanted the HUN-HAT dead, that's of little consequence. He wanted to see how his selfishness in his love affair led Eilirilia to a life of unhappiness. The god of compassion had wanted to give him a last chance to correct his course of action and make things right. Alfred sighed and decided to free Eilirilia from the sociopathic destroyer (since he wept for two round and swore for one, HUN-HAT was at this time destroying an anthill 160 feet from his original position.

"Simulacrum, I order you to kill this guy. I want him dead. I must learn what he did to Eilirilia but he must pay so I'll go the easy way of asking his corpse. Use every means available. Walk the Path of Extreme Prejudice".

During round 5 to 10, the Simulacrum goes to the basement and make a careful path among it chanting words of power that were triggers for empowering glyphs of warding woven into the pattern of the carpet, for situations of emergency, hence the nickname his master has devised. Rarely did he allow the use of it, but today was a special day, and he seemed moved by what he saw in the mirror. Once buffed by the glyphs, who had been created over the past years (prep time), he was the subject of Greater Invisibility, See Invisibility, Far Step, Fly, Mind Blank, Intellect Fortress, Protection from Energy, Haste, True Seeing and Protection from Cameras (the latter being a really obscure scroll Alfred had copied from a tome in Candlekeep, never really understanding its use but as a Wizard is always prepared, it was integrated into the spell glyph pattern). He was ready to perform its task an signalled his presence to Alfred, whose eyes were still locked on the mirror, with grief and pain on his face.

Alfred cast Demiplane, opening the rift between worlds and reaching for his extraplanar laboratory, a supernatural extension of his cottage's closet where his treasures were stored. Both Alfred and the simulacrum entered, while Alfred gave the last orders that would seal the HUN-HAT's fate. "You can go now", did he say, opening a Gate to the material plane again, on the precise location above the HUN-HAT groups. Then Simulacrum crossed the Gate as a move action, finding himself floating above the group. The Simulacrum's mission was to kill HUN-HAT but avoid harming Eilirilia. He wouldn't disappoint his master. He would neutralize the HUN-HAT, who was clearly distinguished from his Simulacrum by the fact that the Scrying Locator was hovering over him, a telling glowing ball of light. Forcecage does not require concentration and Alfred's simulacrum made the bet the sorceror had less capacity to planeshift or teleport than he could withstand uses of Convergent Future to make him miss his saving throws, still expanding the spell slot. As a bonus action, he far stepped 60 feet up. In effect, at most he would have to spend a single use of it, since only Demiplace could qualify as a way to exit the cage.

It was obvious the Eilirilia was a Simulacrum herself, given that she adopted the same behaviour of attacking Alfred's Simulacrum as the HUN-HAT's simulacrum. With a flying speed of 30 ft, even Extended Finger of Death or Power words wouldn't reach the Simulacrum this round. Plus, the Simulacrum can't see invisibility unless he spends some time casting it. It will be a problem the next round. The fake Eilirilia was lacking any meaningful way to see invisible creatures and could only levitate upward clumsily she wouldn't be a threat to reach an invisible attacker able to take a move action and an additional Dash action of 60 ft, plus a far step of 60 feet, and still cast a spell. Carefully staying outside of counterspelling or extended dispell magic range (240 ft, this one is nasty), plus move, at the end of his turn, Alfred's Simulacrum decides to lob a fireball at the group, hurting magens and severely injuring the Simulacrum as he had just cast See Invisibility, before finishing them off on the latter rounds (spending 3rd and 4th level slots). At some point, Eilirelia would be floating slowly, lone survivor of the split group and since the goal wasn't to hurt her, Alfred's simulacrum would use his superior manoeuverability to fly around her and Feeblemind HUN-HAT (expanding his lone 8th level spell and possibly a second convergent future to ensure success). It could harm his move speed, but speed was only useful to split the group and at this point it was no longer needed (in the extraordinary event of a successful INT save) and potentially a third to ensure the failure of the counterspelling. With a CHA and INT of 1 for the next 30 days, he won't be a threat while Alfred's simulacrum kills him with cantrip through the bar of the forcecage.

"Satisfying..." said Alfred again poring over his silvery mirror... "This might not exactly be what Ilmater wanted as outcome but hey..." It is a slow death (though unexplicably, the HUN-HAT died very quickly... how could he have so few hit points? He shoudln't have made a Simulacrum of Eilirilia without her consent. Her body, her choice.

He'd have to recreate a Simulacrum anew to replace his tired butler, but that would be a task for tomorrow. Right now, it is time to make some herbal tea: Binky will arrive soon for tea and biscuits and he might be interested to learn about the strange events of the day.

HUN-HAT has been killed by Alfred, dying of cantrip, without him bothering to leave the comfort of his own home.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
Ok, let's recap.

The sorcerer has 60 galvan magen, reducing his hit points by 180.

The soecerer remains in his original body because magic jar doesn't work that way.

The sorcerer does not have a simulacrum of a drow matron mother because that would be outside the scope the character's abilities.

The Diviner wizard has discovered his identity with a good Intelligence (Investigation) check and has been harassing the sorcerer every night with dream.

The sorcerer has finally had enough! On a day after he makes his saving throw against the dream and has recovered all his spell slots, sorcery points and hit points, he emerges from his lair and starts randomly destroying stuff because he doesn't know who the wizard is. Now the wizard can engage him directly.

The wizard has used a wish to cast find greater steed, giving him a pegasus. They fly to the sorcerer and when they get close, the wizard uses his 9th level slot to cast invulnerability, which is shared with the pegasus. The pegasus has a fly speed of 90 feet and easily outpaces any of the sorcerer's minions, keeping a distance of about 120 feet from the sorcerer's group at all times. This puts the wizard out of range from anything but the celestial spirits' ranged attacks and the sorcerer and the simulacrum's spells which deal no damage because of invulnerability.

The wizard then proceeds to unload his daily complement of attack spells. Every galvan magen killed is a galvan magen the sorcerer can't get back because he has no more hit points left. If the sorcerer and his minions aren't all dead by then, the wizard flies off, keeping one 5th-level spell slot for dream, and repeats this the next day.
Nice. I like It. Complete your build. Feats, race, prepared spells.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Build it first. You just spent a 9th slot on this dead one. Celestial doesn't know who the Sorcerer is.
Sure he does! The sorcerer has been dispelled, so it's easy to pick him out. Wizard summons, say "kill that one," and it's done.
The Sorcerer attacks at 660ft. It's out Celestial Range.
Well, no, we're at 120'. I mean you quoted where all this happened and asked how I'd get tgrpugh your 26 hitpoints, remember? I messed up and went with the 56 from Aid, so, yeah, could have used a 9th level magic missle. I firget, do ypu know Shield? Ah, probably best to stick with the irnoy. Or... use Horrid Wilting. Man, what a service! Your Sorcerer just rehabilitated Hirrid Wilting!
My celestials kill him quickly.
Well, not really. They're uncommanded since your dearh, so they dodge and use they're move to avoid danger.
Now, the Wizard is dead.
Oh, who killed him?
His damage cannot defeat the Sorcerer's HP with Warding Bond.
Dude, ypu got dispelled -- you don't have any of that! Again, you've already quoted this part and asked what happens next, so ot's a little late to be reneging on this. Maybe, if I might be so bold, you should read things more carefully?
We deal 260 instant damage to 660ft damage. Well, the Wizard died.
Which we? The Sorcerer died, so the Celestials are off the hook. You've got to be more specific, man.
I wished Celestial. Next turn. Sorcerer alpha strike. The Wizard is dead.
You wished... with what spell slot?!

Remove ads