D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

Stalker0

Legend
Mercenaries are not your friend, not even reliable.
Grab Popcorn and watch the wizard being killed for his fortune.
If you think that a merc who is getting paid more than he could ever dream on, would just turn on a boss that can point at someone and kill them, can alter reality, and can detect his very thoughts, oh and will come back from the dead if you do kill him (clone, which lets be honest the merc will have no understanding of how the wizard does it, just that the wizard is basically unkillable). Do you really believe that?

I could possibly believe the goons would turn if the sorc had gotten the upper hand on the wizard, and had damaged him severly. In that circumstance....maybe (although would the goons really believe the sorc wouldn't just kill them next?). But the wizard + goons are always going to have the upper hand, and there would be absolutely no reason for them to turn on him while the wizard remains powerful.

Movies have created this troupe that mercs are completely fickle and will turn on anyone at the slightest whim. But that is not how it actually works, mercs like to get paid and they like to win....so they will absolutely fight for the guy who has infinite resources and is basically undefeatable..... oh yeah and provides them a protective bubble that makes them completely immune to the enemy's main weapons (globe).

Stalker0

Legend
Ok lets take it down to brass tax. Lets say you have convinced me that minions won't work, and that this sorc is the most dangerous opponent the wizard has ever faced. He is sweating, and will pull out all the stops.

So then the wizard brings the pain.

1) Both the Wizard and the Simulacrum cast Globe of Invul 7th, one 5 ft behind the first.
2) They gate you in to a demiplane, aka no long range and no where to run.

So none of your spells can hurt them, you can't twin dispel (because the first globe will protect the second, so it has to come down first). So you have to cast 2 dispels before you can even do anything to the wizard. (and that's a 25% chance of working).

Meanwhile for those 2 rounds you are trying to bring down his protections, he gets 2 spells a round on you. No maybe you counterspell one (35%-50% ish chance depending on spell level, or maybe you upgrade it to auto counter, costing your very precious high level slots), but the other one is getting through.

That is 4 spells he casts at you, and you now only have a 25% chance of actually being able to now cast a spell that MIGHT actually hit the wizard. And that's before I even choose a sublcass. Give me like an abjurer and now I'm even more likely to crush you, but I don't think that is even necessary at this point.

The sorc is toast.

Hohige

Explorer
Ok lets take it down to brass tax. Lets say you have convinced me that minions won't work, and that this sorc is the most dangerous opponent the wizard has ever faced. He is sweating, and will pull out all the stops.

So then the wizard brings the pain.

1) Both the Wizard and the Simulacrum cast Globe of Invul 7th, one 5 ft behind the first.
2) They gate you in to a demiplane, aka no long range and no where to run.

So none of your spells can hurt them, you can't twin dispel (because the first globe will protect the second, so it has to come down first). So you have to cast 2 dispels before you can even do anything to the wizard. (and that's a 25% chance of working).

Meanwhile for those 2 rounds you are trying to bring down his protections, he gets 2 spells a round on you. No maybe you counterspell one (35%-50% ish chance depending on spell level, or maybe you upgrade it to auto counter, costing your very precious high level slots), but the other one is getting through.

That is 4 spells he casts at you, and you now only have a 25% chance of actually being able to now cast a spell that MIGHT actually hit the wizard. And that's before I even choose a sublcass. Give me like an abjurer and now I'm even more likely to crush you, but I don't think that is even necessary at this point.

The sorc is toast.
Gate requires you know the creature true name and The celestial is attacking you. Breaking your concentration and defeating your simulacrum and you.
Poor Wizard.

Hohige

Explorer
The wizard can just dispel the summon. Legend Lore can get the true name.
Dispel is only 120ft against 600ft flying creature, hitting you. It doesn't work.

Legend Lore
"If the thing you named isn’t of legendary importance, you gain no information. "
"Name or describe a person"
It fails once, It fails twice.
Nothing works. The Wizard was defeated.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
The premise was that you were gated into a demiplane, as per Stalker0's post. Really, though, I think I'm done debating this with you. I plan to post something a bit later on the original topic, but the sorcerer vs wizard thing is going in circles at this point.

Hohige

Explorer
The premise was that you were gated into a demiplane, as per Stalker0's post. Really, though, I think I'm done debating this with you. I plan to post something a bit later on the original topic, but the sorcerer vs wizard thing is going in circles at this point.
No. it just failed. The Sorcerer level 11 defeats the Wizard level 20 in the material plane and the wizard was kicked to his own demiplane. Playing video game there.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Gate requires you know the creature true name and The celestial is attacking you. Breaking your concentration and defeating your simulacrum and you.
Poor Wizard.
Gate doesn't require a "true name", just your actual one. Aka its not like the soul name from the 3.5 truenamer or anything like that, just the name your momma gave you.

Remove ads