• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

24: Season 6 (2007) Day 6 (*12):4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I don't think the majority of the public would leap to "The VP did it!" Sure there would be people who see a conspiracy in everything who would, but honestly, if the current president in the real world were assasinated under similar circumstances, would you assume that it was the VP? I know I wouldn't. My first assumption would be that someone in the Secret Service was in on it since they are the ones responsible for making sure nobody could get close enough with a gun or bomb to do it.

And as for the secret service "check" they did in the episode; it was pretty poor. I don't know what the chemicals were supposed to be that mixed to create the bomb, but I doubt, if they are that potent when mixed, they wouldn't show up if they did a scan for explosives like they occasionally do at the airport, and I suspect do a little more often when it comes to the POTUS. If it really were that easy in real life, somebody would have probably done it, so I chalk it up to "It's television."

Thornir Alekeg said:
And as for the secret service "check" they did in the episode; it was pretty poor. I don't know what the chemicals were supposed to be that mixed to create the bomb, but I doubt, if they are that potent when mixed, they wouldn't show up if they did a scan for explosives like they occasionally do at the airport, and I suspect do a little more often when it comes to the POTUS. If it really were that easy in real life, somebody would have probably done it, so I chalk it up to "It's television."
I don't know if it is that easy in real life, but who would try it? The bomb-bearer needed very specific circumstances to be able to enter the building at all - essentially a whole group of conspirators with the resources to get him into it. You won't find many conspiracies of this magnitude in the real world, especially not ones that also want to kill the President. THAT part was television.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I don't know if it is that easy in real life, but who would try it? The bomb-bearer needed very specific circumstances to be able to enter the building at all - essentially a whole group of conspirators with the resources to get him into it. You won't find many conspiracies of this magnitude in the real world, especially not ones that also want to kill the President. THAT part was television.

Unfortunately, there are conspiracies like that in existance in the Middle East and in Africa BUT as far as I know they only have managed to take out high ranking government officials and not the leaders of their respected countries. But then again, no one expects the countries where those assassinations have occured to be as secure as most "western" nations.

Relique du Madde said:
Unfortunately, there are conspiracies like that in existance in the Middle East and in Africa BUT as far as I know they only have managed to take out high ranking government officials and not the leaders of their respected countries. But then again, no one expects the countries where those assassinations have occured to be as secure as most "western" nations.
I actually didn't consider non-US presidents in my words, as non-US presidents probably would lack the type of security bunk the US president has. :)

So far it appears to be easier if it's not a big conspiracy but a single individual that gets it into his head to kill a president or other political leader. See Israel, see USA, and probably more...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads