2d10 as Replacement for d20?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I touched on that point, but you STILL benefit more in the middle of the curve, and I don't agree that the middle of the curve is 'low pressure situations'. In 4e its the vast bulk of ALL situations. I believe this is true with most modern RPGs, which generally aim for a fairly high success rate in the 50-80% range.

5e BA keeps attack rolls pretty close to the middle, and closer to needing, say, a natural 8 than an 11. If you do find yourself needing a 19 to hit, you need to find another approach, not another bonus...

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Question for you math geniuses. What is the probability of rolling doubles on 3d6? And what is the probability of rolling doubles within a specific set? (i.e. double 6s, double 5s or 6s, etc)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Question for you math geniuses. What is the probability of rolling doubles on 3d6? And what is the probability of rolling doubles within a specific set? (i.e. double 6s, double 5s or 6s, etc)
Top of my head, assuming doubles is any 2 of the 3 match, and a triple is also a double, it’s 96 out of 216, or 4/9 (44.4%). Doubles of a certain number is 16 out of 216, or 2/27.

The way to calculate it is actually pretty easy. The chance of rolling a given number on a d6 is obviously 1 in 6 (yeah, duh, I know). So, if you already rolled the first die and got a number (any number, doesn't matter), the chance of the second die coming up the same number is 1 in 6. The chance of the 3rd die coming up the same number is also 1 in 6. So you have 2 chances in 6 of the first number coming up on one or both of the next 2 dice, less the one in 6 of that being a triple. You ALSO have a 1 in 6 chance of BOTH of those 2 dice coming up with the same number, so your chances are now 3 in 6, if you don't need to discount triples. If triples don't count, then you have to remove that probability, which is 1/6 x 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/216. I didn't add this up, but the 96/216 that [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] quotes is probably right.

pemerton

Legend
Here's [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION]'s maths:

Die A rolls something.

For dice B and C to both roll something different (hence no doubles) is 5/6 * 5/6 = 25/36. Hence the chance of a double with A (or a triple) is 11/36.

Suppose that die B is different from A (that is a 5/6 chance). Then the chance that C is the same as B is 1/6. 5/6 * 1/6 = 5/36 chance of doubles that are different from A.

The total chance of doubles (which includes a triple) is 16/36, or 96/216, or 4/9.

The chance of doubles on a particular number is one sixth of that, or 16/216, or 2/27.

Remove ads