• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2e Psionics vs. 3e Psionics?

Aaron L

Hero
Hell, I had a 2E psionicist in a Dark Sun game that could use a psychometabloic power in conjunction with a psychoportive power that would give him 10 attacks a round. That was broken, let me tell you.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Eryx said:
2nd Ed psionics worked if you were playing a Dark Sun campaign, as everything (from the guy in the street, to the monsters, to the random cactus in the desert) had psionics.

I've not yet had a chance to try out 3rd ed psionics yet, as no one wants to play one and I've yet to introduce a psionic monster.

I've not read too deeply into 3rd ed psionics but they seem a little more balanced than the old system.

Actually, they worked pretty badly in Dark Sun too. It is just that in Dark Sun everyone played with the same broken rules on the theory that if it is broken for everyone then it is fair.

Tzarevitch

Tzarevitch

First Post
I allowed psionics in my 2e Planescape game years ago. Man was THAT a mistake. I spend more time house ruling psionics to keep it in line than I spend doing anything else.

For broken powers try 2e Kinetic Control and ANY of the HIgh Sciences.

Tzarevitch

Eryx

First Post
Actually, they worked pretty badly in Dark Sun too. It is just that in Dark Sun everyone played with the same broken rules on the theory that if it is broken for everyone then it is fair.

Not so sure I agree there, as I played DS for many years and never found it as bad as say having psionics in a FR game.

The most broken aspect of 2nd ed psionics was the fact that next to no powers ever game saves, it was all based on the psionicist passing a roll that was easy to pass.

Spatula

Explorer
Eryx said:
Not so sure I agree there, as I played DS for many years and never found it as bad as say having psionics in a FR game.

Even in Dark Sun, there was no defense against psionic powers. Power use was still undetectable and unstoppable, and powers still rarely allowed a saving throw. Furthermore, because ability scores were higher across the board (20 max for a human, 20-22 for a non-human), DS psionicists had more PSPs and had an easier time of manifesting powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads