Level Up (A5E) 2nd attempt - where to put spell lists? (Poll)

Where should the spell lists (not the spell details!) go?

• In each class section

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Together in their own section

Votes: 20 41.7%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My previous question may not have been clear, so I'm trying again! I'm asking where folks would like to see the spell lists in the core rulebook of Level Up.

By "spell list" I mean lists of spells, with a quick description. NOT the full spell details and statblocks. These things:

Accelerando: Play a jaunty tune that instills swiftness into up to 6 creatures.
Acid Arrow: Create a magical arrow that covers a creature or object in acid.
Acid Splash: Conjure a localized bubble of acid that splashes over creatures.
Aid: Boost the hit points of allies.
Air Wave: Cut through the air with a melee weapon to damage a creature within 30 feet.
Alarm: Set a magical warning against intrusion.
Altered Strike: Briefly transform your weapon or fist into another material and strike with it.
Alter Self: Use magic to warp your body.

These would be organized by class and level.

So, the choices are:

1) Put a list of available spells (just the list, not the spell details!) in each class section along with class features and stuff. That way when leveling up you have a list of available spells to choose from right there.

2) Put all the lists for each class together in the spells chapter (or maybe in an appendix).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would put them in a master area, not with class(unless it was in both places). As a DM I don't want to have to look in 3 different areas if I want to make some scrolls, and some classes get spells from other lists and would also have to look in multiple places. Better to have it all in one spot for everyone.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Has any edition of the game had the thumbnails with the classes? Every edition I can think of had the lists/thumbnails at the head of the Spells section (but my memories of pre-1E D&D are sketchy at best, and I never played 4E). The fact the lists/thumbnails have always been with the spells isn't strictly speaking a reason to do it that way, but I think there'll be some people who'll get frustrated if the lists/thumbnails aren't where they're used to finding them.

prabe

Supporter
I mean, this is a different book. :)
Of course it is, and I'm not arguing hard for one way or the other. I think having them with the relevant classes makes some sense, but I think @Maxperson raises a good point about the possibilities of someone getting spells mostly-associated with another class--and while having it in both places actually does seem like a best-of-both-worlds thing, page-count is a thing.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Of course it is, and I'm not arguing hard for one way or the other. I think having them with the relevant classes makes some sense, but I think @Maxperson raises a good point about the possibilities of someone getting spells mostly-associated with another class--and while having it in both places actually does seem like a best-of-both-worlds thing, page-count is a thing.
Page count matters, but it would be just under 1 page per full caster class and less for the half casters. It wouldn't add that much to the number of pages.

prabe

Supporter
Page count matters, but it would be just under 1 page per full caster class and less for the half casters. It wouldn't add that much to the number of pages.
It wouldn't add much, but I dunno enough to know what it does to printing costs to go to larger or more-numerous signatures. Not disagreeing hard--just that I see the other side, here.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
My previous question may not have been clear, so I'm trying again! I'm asking where folks would like to see the spell lists in the core rulebook of Level Up.

By "spell list" I mean lists of spells, with a quick description. NOT the full spell details and statblocks. These things:

Accelerando: Play a jaunty tune that instills swiftness into up to 6 creatures.
Acid Arrow: Create a magical arrow that covers a creature or object in acid.
Acid Splash: Conjure a localized bubble of acid that splashes over creatures.
Aid: Boost the hit points of allies.
Air Wave: Cut through the air with a melee weapon to damage a creature within 30 feet.
Alarm: Set a magical warning against intrusion.
Altered Strike: Briefly transform your weapon or fist into another material and strike with it.
Alter Self: Use magic to warp your body.

These would be organized by class and level.

So, the choices are:

1) Put a list of available spells (just the list, not the spell details!) in each class section along with class features and stuff. That way when leveling up you have a list of available spells to choose from right there.

2) Put all the lists for each class together in the spells chapter (or maybe in an appendix).
That sounds a lot like the spell descriptions in the 3.5 phb (and iirc some earlier editions?)
1614881654509.png

full spell blocks were further in
Listing it in spells chapter makes sense & seems logical but... we've all seen that caster player who generally only discovers new spells for their class when a second player asks them if they have it prepared with a reactoon suggesting they never really look at their spells when leveling up. I think that listing them with classes would encourage players to look over their class spells more often when leveling up. I can remember assiduously reading through those summaries as a kid but in play pretty much never used them over the spell statblock so that probably gives an extra reason for it to go in class lists where it's easier to point J-random newbie at as a skimmable example of what a given class can do without too much page flipping between chapters. I think I'm going to change my vote to with classes if I'm not misinterpreting things.

Faolyn

(she/her)
@tetrasodium, Morrus has said that the spells would also be in a class/level list. Which means that those players would merely have to go to a different page in the book to look at the spell list.

Remove ads