Level Up (A5E) 2nd attempt - where to put spell lists? (Poll)

Where should the spell lists (not the spell details!) go?

• In each class section

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Together in their own section

Votes: 20 41.7%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
i'm for spell lists in class description, but having both is like 5 pages extra so maybe both could be worth doing.

Also, this is another topic but it's directly connected;
In full description part of spells; in PHB they are sorted by alphabet, all levels together.

Could you please sort them by every level separately?

Cantrip section: all cantrips full descriptions by alphabet.

1st level section: all 1st level spells full descriptions by alphabet.

etc...
In the full spell details they are alphabetical. Not divided by level.

Horwath

Legend
In the full spell details they are alphabetical. Not divided by level.
you should divide them by level first.
It's easier when you are making characters or searching for certain level spells, so you do not need to flip 100 pages around. only 10 of them.

it's maybe half a page of extra book space. If that even.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I prefer to have the list with each class description, so that when I'm "studying" a class, I can easily check the spells without having to flip to another part of the book.

Teemu

Hero
you should divide them by level first.
It's easier when you are making characters or searching for certain level spells, so you do not need to flip 100 pages around. only 10 of them.

it's maybe half a page of extra book space. If that even.
You wouldn't need a separate list of all spells by level since they're already listed per class, in ascending order of spell level. Spell details means the full spell description -- you don't want that by spell level because that means you'd have to memorize each spell's level to find its full details.

aco175

Legend
As a DM, I like spells grouped together. Mostly so I can find a spell to use for a item, potion, or scroll. I may want to look at the cleric list and mage list over a few pages to find what I need.

I like the idea for spells grouped by class and level to have a section that my PC can use. I understand that having them all in alphabetical order makes more sense. This is mostly because some spells are on other class lists and may be of varying levels. Giving each class a section would just make more pages of redundancy.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
An Appendix, I like to be able to quickly find my different class descriptions and class abilities without having to wade through 20 extra pages of repetitive spell list.

Horwath

Legend
You wouldn't need a separate list of all spells by level since they're already listed per class, in ascending order of spell level. Spell details means the full spell description -- you don't want that by spell level because that means you'd have to memorize each spell's level to find its full details.
I didn't ask for a spell list by level, only the full description. And yes, I realize that I need to memorize spell level in addition to it's name. And if I forget it by any chance, I can look it up in class description.

Kozos

Explorer
Accelerando(p. 217): Play a jaunty tune that instills swiftness into up to 6 creatures.
Acid Arrow(p. 220): Create a magical arrow that covers a creature or object in acid.
Acid Splash(p. 205): Conjure a localized bubble of acid that splashes over creatures.
Aid(p. 319): Boost the hit points of allies.
Air Wave(p. 213): Cut through the air with a melee weapon to damage a creature within 30 feet.
Alarm(p. 213): Set a magical warning against intrusion.
Altered Strike(p. 213): Briefly transform your weapon or fist into another material and strike with it.
Alter Self(p. 213): Use magic to warp your body.

Either is fine by me. I can truly see merit in both. However what I would suggest is to actually put the page number next to the spell name. What I mean by that? A quick description is nice and dandy but in my wizard spell list I would like to see something like what i have done above.

Remove ads