• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Archers nerfed! Meleers/Spellcasters rejoice!

Mike Sullivan

First Post
You can still have a bow +1 of Elemental Stuff, and then GMW your arrows to bypass the DR x/magic, as well as to get the hit/damage bonuses, and to stack the elemental damage from the bow with the enhancement bonuses from the arrows.

I also don't think it'd badly hurt the game to allow an arrow property like, "recoverable," where the arrow never breaks. You couldn't let it apply to an arrow of slaying or what-not, of course.

Synicism

First Post
Actually, what I would like to see are bow enchantments that impart special qualities (like magic, adamantine, and so on) on missiles that it launches.

Kai Lord

Hero
Olgar Shiverstone said:
[3.5] Archers nerfed! Meleers/Spellcasters rejoice!
WHAT? Manyshot will be removed from the game!?!? What? No? Archers will still knock meleers and spellcasters on their asses? Cool. :cool:

Kai Lord

Hero
Caliban said:
In my opinion, this gives an edge to Arcane Archers. They can pay for a heavily magic'd bow and get their arrows magic for free.
And how is this any different than what Arcane Archers do under the current rules?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
+5 flameing burst ghost touch holy bow with +1 spell storing keen distance disruption arrows of wounding R0xx0R5!

Ghost Touch does not appear on the Ranged Weapon Special Abilities table... and even if it did, the description does not say that bows impart the quality to their ammunition.

Spell Storing, Keen, Disruption, and Wounding do not appear on the Ranged Weapon Special Abilities table. Disruption only applies to Bludgeoning weapons.

Since an arrow can be used as an improvised melee weapon, you could make a +1 Spell Storing Keen Distance Wounding arrow. It would cost about 50k gp, and you'd get one arrow that would be destroyed the first time you used it.

You want to craft 50 at a time, you're limited to the Ranged Weapon Special Abilities.

-Hyp.

Felon

First Post
Synicism said:
As much as I thought the stacking of bow and arrow enhancement bonuses was incredibly cheesy, I think the new rules will lead to some really, really stupid moments as you have archers carrying around hundreds upon hundreds of arrows of different types so they can actually hurt things.

Cool. I always imagined rangers employing tactics like that anyway.

rounser

First Post
It's stupid to have the fighter wandering around with 10 different magic swords strapped to his person in order to ensure that he can hurt things.
Need is the mother of invention, so time to invent a magical Swiss Pocket Sword...

"Still can't find that darn +1 silver blade. Gah, wish I had longer fingernails to get out this here....+2 keen toothpick?"

Kai Lord

Hero
Felon said:

Cool. I always imagined rangers employing tactics like that anyway.
Totally. Hawkeye from Marvel Comics always had a specific arrow for any given situation, and now we're encouraged to as well. :cool:

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If they sensibly change the Quiver of Ehlonna though, there won't be any "four quiver" silliness. Archers will carry them all in their single magic quiver and automatically get whichever arrow is needed.

'swhat the Golf Bag's all about... ;)

-Hyp.

Remove ads