• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] In-game explanations for the revision

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
2e to 3e

A little off topic, but we had fun with converting from 2e to 3e in my friend's planescape campaign. The Harmonium went around the planes and beat 3e into everyone.

"NO! Thac0 bad! BAB!"

"No more Save vs Spell!"

We ran into a lot of confused people after that.

I tried to convince him to run an adventure where some people had escaped the Harmonium and still played by 2e's rules, but the campaign ended before it could happen.

Would have been fun (or, at least confused the rest of the party, which is fun too).

clark411

First Post
@Tiberius

Hehe.. Personally i thought it'd be a blue ribbon of energy coursing across the planet that would switch us to 3.5.. kinda like how a yellow one wiped out Common. =)

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
For spider queen, I think it will just happen, no explanation. Of course, we're playing a funky hybrid like now, so it won't be much of a change.

For my FR campaign, I'll actually explain it. I'll be converting Stardock for the first 3.5 game. That should explain it nicely (I';d go into more detail, but my players read these threads).

I know that, if my 2e campaign had survived to the conversion to 3e (it was a post Ragnarok campaign, but Ragnarok hadn't gone off as planned), I was going to explain the change over as the ressurection of the old Goddess of Magic (by the bad guys, of course). This was just her way of messing everyone else up.

Grundle

First Post
I can see it now, the gnomish Rogue/Illusionist wakes to realize that his entire life he'd been struggling with Illusion wizardy when what he really wanted to do was be a Bard.

"But father, I don't WANT to be an illusionist. What I really want to do is SING..."

He is so befuddled and confused at this epifany that he takes a tremendous XP penalty on the spot and looses several levels!

:(

Paladin

Explorer
[FR] Blame it on Archwizards!

In the Realms, the new way things work could easily be blamed on the Shadovar and Shar herself. In the Return of the Archwizards trilogy there's definitely enough evidence that the Shadow Weave interacting with the Weave can have unexpected, even disastrous, consequences. Speaking of that...

****Some Spoilers for Return of the Archwizards****

Spoiler space....

Perhaps when Shar got back the Karsestone from Malik, something she did with it caused the Shadow Weave to grow in power and Mystra had to change the Weave slightly to compensate. Now some magicks have changed power levels or schools of magic, some no longer work, some others work better, some don't last as long - some last longer, bringing back the dead is much harder (more expensive), etc.

Other Gods decided to change things to help with the new magic structure, releasing secrets and different training techniques to their followers:

Paladins received the ability to smite more foes and the ability to summon their mounts;
Rangers learned new ways to fight the growing threat of evil released by the Shadovar;
Sorcerers learned how to "unlearn" their older, weaker spells and replace them with more useful ones;
Bards learned the same trick from the sorcerers and became more well rounded, and learned some new spells;
Fighters developed even more fighting techniques;
Monks developed better, more versatile, training programs;
Wizards didn't really develop any new techniques - they're figuring out all the changes to the Weave - it could take a while;
Clerics have realized greater healing potential (mass cure spells) and know they'll have a harder time bringing back the dead - along with figuring out the other changes to their prayers;
Druids saw changes in their spells and were granted the ability to summon their nature friends spontaneously;
Barbarians trained harder, developing their abilities earlier;
Rogues learned new, better, ways to pick the pockets of all these others while they were learning all of this new stuff. ;)
Psions and Psychic Warriors are apparenly slow studies and will have to wait until April to notice anything happened. ;)

Also, the Dwarven Gods realized that their people didn't know how to use weapons named after them correctly and were too slow in armor, so they helped them out by speeding up their stumpy legs, and teaching them to use waraxes and urgroshes properly! :p

Anyway - that's how I'm handling it. :D

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Wizardru's Savage Sword of Meepo

We Meepites are all goping epic at the time the new books are coming out. I figure Wizardru has this worked into our "Going Epic" storylines.

I plan on taking the destructive route and using "When the sky falls" by Malhavoc press. The changes to spells will be wrought out through some sacrifices by the deities. Changes to feats I'm still working on, but I have about 3 weeks before I have to have that figured out. How are the rest of you all tackling that issue?

Hecabus

First Post
Switch over

As I said when I first heard about the changes to magic and other things, I was going to pin the changes on my players. I am going to run a modified Dungeon adventure. In the adventure, the players are trying to help a cleric find four key items each from a god, that when added together create an item that severly weakens a alienistic outsider that could challenge a god. I am getting rid of the cleric, changing the four gods to fit into my campaign and the end monster will be a cthulu beast.

The last set of characters in the campaign failed miserably and allowed a former player to open a beacon to the outer planes that has summoned the beastie. They know they have 3 to 60 days to find a lost city and stop the summoning/arrival. Once they put all the items together, the power of those four gods will be diminished, which will weaken all of the magic in the world....hence the new books. I am going to keep the players in the dark about when we switch over so it will be a surprised. We should switch at the end of the month.

Destil

Explorer
What are you talking about? 3E rules were the fluke. For three years transmutation magic spiked, and suddenly you could cast two spells per round with haste.

Spike's over now, though...

thundershot

Adventurer
3.0 to 3.5 is minor compared to what they went through from 2E to 3E. From 2e to 3e one group went through "The Apocalypse Stone" and the other did "Die Vecna Die!".. THe multiverse was forever changed, and the PC's are the only ones who noticed.. and they were reduced to 1st level.

This time, the result of the RttToEE will have Tharizdun freed, and it becomes a War of the Gods. Only 24 Gods will remain, and the universe will be slightly altered (inserting my homebrew cosmology), and raise dead and resurrection spells will no longer work... at least until I figure out a really hard way of doing it...

Chris

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads