D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Knockdown and Imp. Trip Benefits

iwatt

First Post
From the sword and Fist 3.0 FAQ:

Does the fighter with the Knockdown feat get a free
attack from Improved Trip against a creature that he
trips due to a knockdown?
No.

Which to me implies that Knockdown, although using the trip mechanic, is not a trip. But it requires Imp. Trip as a pre-requisite :(

My question basically is:

Does a Creature with the Knockdown Feat gain the +4 benefit from Imp. Trip to Knockdoen checks?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Is Knockdown in 3.5e? If it's only from S&F, then the answer is: "403 Version Error! Incompatible Feat."

-- N

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
iwatt said:
Does a Creature with the Knockdown Feat gain the +4 benefit from Imp. Trip to Knockdoen checks?
I would say yes, if you use the Knockdown feat in 3.5 you should give Imporved Trip's "+4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent" when using it.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nifft said:
Is Knockdown in 3.5e? If it's only from S&F, then the answer is: "403 Version Error! Incompatible Feat."

-- N

Then you use a bad browser. Nothing loses its validity only because of the revision, unless a new version from the feat is printed. (Expect a new version of Knockdown in Complete Warrior).

As for the question: Knockdown grants you a trip attack. Improved trip gives you +4 to trips. So you get the +4 (the FAQ only disallows the free attack, since that wouldn't make sense, anyway).

Rozman

First Post
It falls under the broad heading of "WotC isn't going to touch it with a 10-foot pole, so make up your own ruling."

Splatbooks will not be updated/erratad/anything for 3.5

AFAIK, they will be re-publishing, err, publishing entirely unrelated books dealing with each class that are not in any way updated versions of the current splatbooks.

If they were updated versions of the splatbooks, some might accuse them of grubbing for money by publishing a new half-finished ruleset.

But I bought the durned Revision, so I guess I really don't have that much room to complain.

I think the Fighter book is coming out in December.

Darklone

Guys, nope. Improved Trip gives a +4 to the opposed trip check. Knockdown gives a Fort save against a damage dependant save IIRC. So no +4 bonus to Knockdown.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Rozman said:
I think the Fighter book is coming out in December.

The way they describe it, Complete Warrior is about all classes (not just fighter and monk, or the full BAB classes) and their place in combat. And AFAIK only 25% of the contents are "recycled" from former books and Dragon etc.

I haven't heard anything about other books (Complete Caster, Complete Skill-User...)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Isn't Unearthed Arcana basically a Complete Caster book? Well, maybe half only...

It's about rules variants, AFAIK. It doesn't tell you how to make a better caster, but to make a different caster.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Darklone said:
Guys, nope. Improved Trip gives a +4 to the opposed trip check. Knockdown gives a Fort save against a damage dependant save IIRC. So no +4 bonus to Knockdown.
Improved Trip gives a "+4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent".

Knockdown gives you a trip attack as a free action when you deal 10 or more points of damage to an opponent in melee.

I think you may be thinking about this feat.
AWESOME BLOW [GENERAL, FIGHTER]
Prerequisites: Str 25, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, size Large or larger.
Benefit: As a standard action, the creature may choose to subtract 4 from its melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If the creature hits a corporeal opponent smaller than itself with an awesome blow, its opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the attacking creature’s choice and fall prone. The attacking creature can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to the attacking creature than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Last edited:

Remove ads