D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] New uses for a Monk's hands

Eltor Macnol

First Post
Now (and this is one subtle rule change I think not everyone has noticed), it is clearly stated in the rules that a Monk can attack normally with unarmed attacks even while holding anything in her hands. The relevant quote from the SRD:

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk's attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full.

That's contrary to the 3.0 FAQ entry on the matter, which stated that the monk had to give up her best attack if she was holding anything, even a torch in one hand.

Now, what are your ideas on useful and/or funny uses for those free hands all converted 3.0 monks just remembered they had? Surely holding a torch and saving that Light spell isn't the only one...

Lotus

First Post
A few practical things:

- a defending sai. You don't have to attack with it normally, but it gives you some AC and a nice bonus to disarm attempts.

- a vicious quarterstaff to use only for spring attacks and disarming. Until higher levels, it'll do more damage than your fists (and again, a bonus to disarm attempts). Stay mobile and you can afford the 1d6 damage it does back to you.

- potions, so you don't have to take an action to get them out.

- a crossbow or javelins, ditto.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
- a defending sai. You don't have to attack with it normally, but it gives you some AC and a nice bonus to disarm attempts.

You can't get the bonus from a defending weapon - unless it's changed in 3.5 - without expending an attack. You don't need to actually swing with it, but you must incur TWF penalties if you're holding it in your off hand, and if you're flurrying, one of those attacks must be allocated to the sai.

-Hyp.

Gilrion

First Post
Weapons. Everyone else's weapons. :D
When you disarm someone with your bare hands, you get to keep the weapon (haven't seen anything in 3.5 that changed this yet). Keeping it in your hand is going one step further making sure your enemy doesn't retrieve it.

MarauderX

Explorer
Gilrion said:
Weapons. Everyone else's weapons. :D
When you disarm someone with your bare hands, you get to keep the weapon (haven't seen anything in 3.5 that changed this yet). Keeping it in your hand is going one step further making sure your enemy doesn't retrieve it.

Grappling Block from OA. I can't wait to use it, and will start lowering my AC at the start of a fight just to get a better chance to disarm. Armloads of enemy weapons to beat the attackers senseless.

I like the whole 'hit them with whatever you have' idea, so that a monk can pulverize someone with her legs while she's holding her attacker's flail in her hands.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lethal Weapon IV (assault rifle), Kiss of the Dragon (billiard ball), and Bulletproof Monk (pistol clips) all have examples of a monk-style character kicking an object and using it as a ranged weapon.

I see it as being more a "style" feat than a powerup feat. Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Throw Anything.
Benefit: Once per round, treat one kicked object or weapon as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. Apply 1.5x your Str bonus to damage. [Insert limitation on size] [Insert reminder of base damage for improvised weapons]

I can just picture the monk using his staff to disarm the close opponent, and kicking the weapon before it hits the ground to smack into his ally* fifteen feet away...

Edit - *Uh, the opponent's ally. Not the monk's ally.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Remove ads