• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Only Smackdown

Jeremy

Explorer
The reason they were traditionally 16th level is because that was the level Ayla was when she was submitted as a smackdown. The reason they stayed that way is because the amount of items you could purchase and thusly the amount of things you could do with 700,000+ gp when the money starts really climbing exponentionally decreased the challenge.

But being that 3.5 is basically Core only right now it's probably pretty challenging by itself. But the "assume 20th level casters can cast whatever on you" makes the point moot.

Also 16th level smacks are interesting because you can aim towards them from level 1, generally do most of the important parts by level 12, and play with the full fun for 4 levels. 20th level smacks are generally so dependant on their 9th level spells and huge amounts of GP that they are really just intelligent builds and not really creative smacks of any sort.

But I'll definately keep watching this thread to see if there is anything that should be in the archive. :) Have fun!

Antoine

First Post
Kodam said:
AC: 10 + 8 armor (Braciers of Armor) + 12 dex (18 + 5 by levels + 5 by manual + 6 by gloves = 34) + 5 Deflection (Ring of Prot.) +5 natural armor (Amulett) +6 wis (class; 16 + 5 by tome + 2 by incandescent blue ioun stone = 23) + 5 class (4 by level +1 by monk's belt) +1 insight (dusty rose ioun stone) +1 size (race) +8 dodge (+1 Dodge feat+ 5 Combat Expertise +2 fighting defensely)

A Tome of clear thought +5 is also needed to rise the Int to 13 for Combat Expertise.

I get AC 61 for this monk. When using the Mobility feat this rises to AC 65. :cool:

Humble contribution :
With 5 ranks in tumble, wouldn't the little master get +3 dodge from fighting defensively ?
AC 62 !

Antoine

Diirk

First Post
Druid "Walking Bomb" Smackdown

Fire seeds abuse.

16th level druid

Equipment:
110,000 for manual of wisdom +4
36,000 for periapt of wisdom +6
30,000 for orange ioun stone
36,000 for pearl of power (6th)
25,800 for strand of prayer beads (standard)
= 238,000 gp

Stats:
18 starting wisdom, +4 level increase, +4 manual, +6 periapt = 32 total

Feats:
Spell Focus: Conjuration
Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration
Heighten Spell

Spells:
2nd Resist Energy
6th 6x Fire Seeds
7th 5x Heightened Fire Seeds
8th 3x Heightened Fire Seeds

Now for the preparation!

Use the karma bead for +4 caster level and the ioun stone for a further +1 caster level, and cast fire seeds and generate 8 holly berry bombs. Just dump them in a cloth bag for now, and repeat with all available casts of fire seeds, putting all bombs in the bag. This gives a total of (6 + 5 + 3) x 8 = 112 berry bombs in the bag so far. Note that this can all be done out of combat, 3 hours and 30 minutes before the encounter.

Now for the combat ! Make sure you're buffed with Resist Energy to give yourself 30 resistance to fire. This is important. Now take out your bag, run at the BBEG and speak the command word to detonate ALL of the berries. Each berry does 1d8 + 1/level damage... we had the karma bead and ioun stone in use at the time we cast it, so we were at 21 effective caster level for 1d8+21 damage on each berry. The max damage is 29 on each berry and because the damage is from seperate sources, resist energy protects us from all of them ! 112 berries results in 112d8+2352 damage = 2856 damage (assuming average rolls), reflex dc 29 save for half (roll 48 times each), 30 for half (on another 40) and 31 for half (on the last 24).

(If some DMs don't allow the resist energy applying to each seperately bit, you'll have to run past the BBEG, incurring an AoO, drop the bag next to him as a free action, then speak the command word when more than 5 feet away. Unless you don't mind dying.)

The Souljourner

First Post
Let me just state again... you're not restricted to 16 levels in this thread. Tradition is folly, in my mind, unless backed up by solid reasoning. if you're going for "the most" then let's go for it, not "the most... kinda".

That being said, that's a way cool smack, Diirk.

-The Souljourner

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Saeviomagy said:
What, the core that contains still spell metamagic rods and rhino hide armour?

Or are you talking about some core in which these aren't present?

Rods
Metamagic, Enlarge, lesser
Metamagic, Extend, lesser
Metamagic, Silent, lesser
Immovable
Metamagic, Empower, lesser
Metal and mineral detection
Cancellation
Metamagic, Enlarge
Metamagic, Extend
Metamagic, Silent
Wonder
Python
Metamagic, Maximize, lesser
Flame extinguishing
Viper
Enemy detection
Metamagic, Enlarge, greater
Metamagic, Extend, greater
Metamagic, Silent, greater
Splendor
Withering
Metamagic, Empower
Thunder and lightning
Metamagic, Quicken, lesser
Negation
Absorption
Flailing
Metamagic, Maximize
Rulership
Security
Lordly might
Metamagic, Empower, greater
Metamagic, Quicken
Alertness
Metamagic, Maximize, greater
Metamagic, Quicken, greater

-Hyp.

Diirk

First Post
Druid "Walking Bomb" Smackdown

The Souljourner said:
Let me just state again... you're not restricted to 16 levels in this thread. Tradition is folly, in my mind, unless backed up by solid reasoning. if you're going for "the most" then let's go for it, not "the most... kinda".

Well I thought 20th level was kinda overkill, but it would be +4 on each berry (meaning you'd have to drop the bag and run before activating, resist energy wouldn't stop you taking damage anymore), a +5 tome instead of +4, +1 wis from stat increase giving 34 wis, so +1 DC.... we'd have 7/6/6/5 for 6th+ spells too, so 10 extra casts ...

means like 24 x 8 = 192 berries for 192d8 + 4800 = 5664 average... dc30 (x56), 31(x48), 32(x48) and 33(x40) reflex saves.

Yup, overkill.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
It's not a damage smack but...

Clr 16
Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration
Orange Ioun Stone, Strand of Prayer Beads (normal); Good domain.

Preparation: Activate strand of prayer beads
Rd 1: Cast Holy Word. Since your caster level for the [Good] spell will be 22, all evil creatures within 40 feet will be:
<=12 HD: Killed.
<=17 HD: Paralyzed, blinded, and deafened
<=21 HD: Blinded and Deafened
<=22 HD: Deafened

Paralyzing, Blinding, and Deafening creatures with more HD than you have levels--no save (and SR only applies if >=SR 27 since your effective caster level and greater spell penetration give you a SR roll of +26).

FrankTrollman

First Post
It's not a damage smack but...

Clr 16
Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration
Orange Ioun Stone, Strand of Prayer Beads (normal); Good domain.

Preparation: Activate strand of prayer beads
Rd 1: Cast Holy Word. Since your caster level for the [Good] spell will be 22, all evil creatures within 40 feet will be:
<=12 HD: Killed.
<=17 HD: Paralyzed, blinded, and deafened
<=21 HD: Blinded and Deafened
<=22 HD: Deafened

Paralyzing, Blinding, and Deafening creatures with more HD than you have levels--no save (and SR only applies if >=SR 27 since your effective caster level and greater spell penetration give you a SR roll of +26).

Funny you should mention that...

but Death Knell, the Evil Domain, the Orange Ioun Stone, Spell Power, and Karma Bead strands all provide unnamed bonuses to Caster Level. That means that not only do they all stack, but there's no reason to believe that they don't stack with other similar effects.

So while you can walk in with 5 extra caster levels from Spell Power - you can also walk in with as many bonuses from Death Knell as you have 2nd level spell slots.

So this is sort of an unlimited loop. Do infinite loops count? I mean if you have something which can kill any enemy with no chance of failure, does that count as a smackdown, or simply as a hole in the rules?

I mean, I can still make infinite Shadow Armies, which then do infinite Strength Damage. And I can Awaken myself dozens of times and then power-attack for hundreds. What, if anything, does that count for?

-Frank

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads