• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Only Smackdown

The Souljourner

First Post
I decided to make a 3.5 core only smackdown thread, because I can't keep track of the hundreds of D20 products out there. So here's a challenge for all you smackdowners.

Rules: only official 3.5 (nothing that hasn't specifically been released for 3.5, and only WoTC products. Right now that's the three core rulebooks only). 20th ECL (monster characters from MM are ok). Any amount of magic items from the DMG (no creating your own). You may assume there is a 20th level caster of each class to cast spells on you, but *you* have to be the one doing the damage. You may not assume critical hits unless you have some way to assure them (which I don't think is possible in core 3.5).

Types: Most damage from a single hit or most damage in a single round to a single target. Other types are welcome (best AC, most hitpoints, etc). When dice are rolled, always assume average results.

Here's an old favorite to start it off - the charging paladin.

Type: Most damage from a single hit.

20th Level Half-Orc Paladin

Feats: Power Attack, Spirited Charge (and prereqs)
Magic Items: Major Ring of Spell Storing (with Righteous Might in it), Lance +3 Axiomatic Holy Flaming Shocking Frost, Manual of Gainful Exercise +5, Belt of Giant Strength +6, Rhino Hide Armor.

Spells: Greater Magic Weapon

Being large from Righteous Might makes the lance damage 2d6.

Strength: 20 (base) +5 unnamed (levels) +5 inherent (manual) +8 size (Righteous Might) +6 enhancement (belt) = 44 strength, a +17 bonus to damage. Wielding the lance in two hands makes that +25.

Have Greater Magic Weapon cast on the lance, making it +5.

Use a smite evil attempt, +20 damage.

Use full power attack, +40 damage (due to using the lance two handed).

Abilities on weapon give +7d6.

Rhino hide armor gives +2d6.

Spirited Charge and the lance triple the damage on a charge (except the bonus dice).

So, total damage is:

6d6 +75 (str) +15 (GMW) +60 (Smite) +120 (PA) +9d6

= 15d6 +270

= 322.5 damage on average.

-The Souljourner

Shadeus

First Post
I'll take a stab at this.

Type: Most damage in a single round

20th-level half-orc monk

Feats: Power Attack, weapon focus (quarterstaff)
Magic Items: ring of major spell storing (Righteous Might, Divine Power, Divine Favor), +1 viscious axomatic unholy human-bane quarterstaff of shock and frost, manual of gainful exercise +5

Spells cast: Greater Magic Weapon, Haste

Str: 20 + 5 (levels) + 6 (enhancement) + 5 (inherit) + 8 (size) = Str 44

Attack: +20 (BAB, Divine Power) - 1 (size) + 17 (Str) + 1 (weapon focus) + 5 (enhancement) + 1 (Divine Favor) + 1 (haste) - 20 (power attack) = +24
Attacks per round: +24/+24/+24/+24/+19/+14/+8 (flurry of blows = +2 attacks, plus haste)

Quarterstaff dmg: 1d8 (righteous might) + 11d6 + 5
Power attack: +40 (two-handed)

Total Damage: 1d8 + 11d6 + 40 (power attack) + 17 (Str) + 5 (enhancement) + 1 (divine favor)
Ave. Damage: 105 per attack

Average Full Attack Damage: 735 (assuming 7 hits)

Last edited:

FrankTrollman

First Post
I am of a different school of Smackdowns. Namely, that all the smacking should come from the character. I mean look at you guys! Getting buff spells from friends - it's like your Cleric is doing all the smacking, not you.

Polymorph Abuse.

Type: most damage in single hit.

Character: Human Wizard 20.

Spells used:

Polymorph Any Object
Greater Magic Weapon
Contingency: True Strike
Rage
Improved Invisibility (for the attack bonus)
Greater Heroism
Tenser's Transformation

Feats:
Mounted Combat
Power Attack
Spirited Charge

Here's the fun: You Polymorph Any Object yourself into a Titan, gaining Titan strength. If you want to get technical - you also have the ability to use Gargantuan Weapons without penalty - but we'll assume for sanity's sake that you can only use a Huge Lance (3d6 damage). You give yourself Tenser's Transformation, because anything less would be laughable.

You charge in and stab someone - which automatically activates your Contingent True Sight - so you can jolly well Power Attack for +40 damage.

At this point you have a Strength bonus of +19, which in this case is inflated to 1.5 times size and nets you +28. You've made your Lance +5. And this is before equipment of any sort. You can add in equipment to the tune of +9 worth of magical abilities to your weapon (I humbly suggest Spell Storing filled with a Vampiric Touch; Vicious; Holy; Axiomatic; Flaming; Shock; and Frost - for +19d6 of damage). You can throw on Rhino Armor (with a rod of Still Spell if you really care) for +2 more d6 of damage. And of course, you can get a Tome of Strength +5 - which raises your strength bonus up to +22 - a total bonus of +33 from strength.

So you are looking at {3d6+78}*3 + 19d6 damage. Average damage per hit is 332 damage (before factoring criticals) and we didn't even have to cheat by getting spells from more than one character. And since the attack bonus on this attack is +53 - I think we can be pretty confident that the chance of hitting is probably pretty good.

----

Of course, this pales in comparison to the actual winner:

Wizard 15, Archmage 5:

High Arcana: Spell-like Ability: Major Creation.
High Arcana: Spell Power 4 times.
Skills: 23 ranks in Alchemy
Equipment: Ioun Stone of Spellcaster Level.

As a standard action you can create up 25 cubic feet of Alchemist's Fire anywhere within short range. The only thing keeping you from using this offensively is the prohibitive casting time, which you do not in fact need to expend. So after not spending the material component and instead coughing up zero xp - you now have some one thousand five hundred pounds of alchemist's fire. As per the 3.5 weapon size increase rules - that's 11 size increases over the normal unit weapon of Alchemist's Fire - which is 24d6 of damage, no save, per round. Save DC 37 per additional round to end. That's "only" 94 damage per round - but as it continues indefinately, I think it is the win.

-Frank

Endur

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
Wizard 15, Archmage 5:
you now have some one thousand five hundred pounds of alchemist's fire. As per the 3.5 weapon size increase rules - that's 11 size increases over the normal unit weapon of Alchemist's Fire - which is 24d6 of damage, no save, per round. Save DC 37 per additional round to end. That's "only" 94 damage per round - but as it continues indefinately, I think it is the win.

Where do you get the 24d6 and the Save DC 37 from? The weapon size rules don't apply to alchemist's fire as far as I can tell.

reapersaurus

Explorer
1) Smackdowns here are traditionally at 16th level.
2) Frank, what's True Sight?
And what is the Titan riding to get the 3x bonus?
And there's no Tensor's Transformation anymore (and I don't see how it improves your Smack - perhaps a +6 Belt of Giant Strength would help more ion this particular Smack?)
and I agree about the relying on other character's spells part - it's somewhat cheesy.
3) Shadeus - Monks only gain STR bonus when flurrying, even if they use 2 hands.
There is no "Divine Might" spell to store in the Ring.
Divine Favor would only grant +1, since SpellStoring requires the spell to be cast at the lowest possible caster level, IIRC.

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

I'll try on the highest AC:

Its a 20 lev Halfling Monk:
[I used 26 Point-buy]

AC: 10 + 8 armor (Braciers of Armor) + 12 dex (18 + 5 by levels + 5 by manual + 6 by gloves = 34) + 5 Deflection (Ring of Prot.) +5 natural armor (Amulett) +6 wis (class; 16 + 5 by tome + 2 by incandescent blue ioun stone = 23) + 5 class (4 by level +1 by monk's belt) +1 insight (dusty rose ioun stone) +1 size (race) +8 dodge (+1 Dodge feat+ 5 Combat Expertise +2 fighting defensely)

A Tome of clear thought +5 is also needed to rise the Int to 13 for Combat Expertise.

I get AC 61 for this monk. When using the Mobility feat this rises to AC 65. :cool:

I hope I didn't mess up the math... :rolleyes:

Kodam

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
reapersaurus said:
1) Smackdowns here are traditionally at 16th level.

So? They're also traditionally using a million different sourcebooks. 4 levels makes only a tiny difference.

reapersaurus said:
And there's no Tensor's Transformation anymore

What? What book are you using? 6th level wizard spell, Tenser's Transformation (just called "Transformation" in the SRD).

reapersaurus said:
and I agree about the relying on other character's spells part - it's somewhat cheesy.

You call this cheesy, and yet using 4 arms of Nyr isn't? A 20th level guy is likely to have access to the spells of 20th level members of his party, so it's not like I'm talking about something unlikely to happen in actual adventures here.

-The Souljourner

FrankTrollman

First Post
2) Frank, what's True Sight?
And what is the Titan riding to get the 3x bonus?
And there's no Tensor's Transformation anymore (and I don't see how it improves your Smack - perhaps a +6 Belt of Giant Strength would help more ion this particular Smack?)

True Strike - +20 to hit on one attack - it still exists.

The Titan-Wizard can ride any non-bipedal Gargantuan creature. Perhaps more importantly, the Wizard can simply transform a pebble into a Gargantuan Gold Dragon - so it isn't like this is at all impractical.

Tenser's Transformation is still in the game. It is in this smackdown because it raises BAB to +20, allowing more Power Attacking.

And yes, a +6 belt of Giant's Strength would add 3 more points of damage to this smackdown - but I wanted to limit the amount of equipment used.

-Frank

Shadeus

First Post
Reapersaurus said:
3) Shadeus - Monks only gain STR bonus when flurrying, even if they use 2 hands.
There is no "Divine Might" spell to store in the Ring.
Divine Favor would only grant +1, since SpellStoring requires the spell to be cast at the lowest possible caster level, IIRC.

Yep, that right. My mistake.
Ack! I meant the Divine Favor spell (which I spell out later).
This is right too. It should be the minimum level.

Endur said:
Minor quibble: You only get six attacks, not seven. i.e. no +14 attack.

Actually, it is seven attacks. Divine Power gives you the BAB of a fighter (+20/+15/+10/+5). Flurry of blows gives you 2 extra attacks. Haste gives another.

Last edited:

Remove ads