• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 or 4th edition?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
barbarianguy said:
To answer your questions, Reynard: We will be 5 people including me, once a week, yes I'm new to RPGs, I'm 13 and the rest are either 13 or 14, yes I have been modeling minis and playing warhammer for a while. Hope that answers all your questions.

If you don't mind PDF files, you can get the pathfinder rules for $10. The new introductory 4e rules boxed set should be out soon too. So I say try both. If money is a problem, see if your local game store hosts events for either or both. Good luck and welcome to the best hobby ever!

Cor_Malek

First Post
I'd suggest taking a look at both, and see which you like better - it should be clear enough, as the gameplay is wastly different, which in turn is why people can't agree on which is "better". As many stated - the most recent version of DnD 3.X family is the Pathfinder RPG by Paizo, a game that swept the ENnies Awards this year (12 golds + some silvers).

4e is much much easier, both to players or DM, but both (or rather all three, counting PFRPG) are really easy to start playing (DnD famously is) anyway.

edit: if you plan to buy the adventures to run - I'd generally advice Pathfinder/3.5, as Paizo is really famous for it's adventures, and WotC a bit less so.

Last edited:

Smoss

First Post
I only play 7th edition. It is better because it is 3 + 4 !!!

Take that lesser editions! :p

In more serious news, both can make serious use of minis like you have done with Warhammer. If you are just starting the new 4E essentials might work for you. Should be easy to set up and run. Not a fan of 4E myself but I know a lot of people that like it. I quite enjoyed 3E in my more youthful days but it feels too slow to me now. That might be fine with your 40k sensibilities - One round of combat in 3e (or 4e for that matter) will feel like it is flying by in comparison.

Now to wait for the edition wars lockdown! D&D 7.75 edition for the win!
-----------------------
Smoss
Doulairen

barbarianguy

First Post
I will probably be going with 4e since I've gotten ahead of myself and made my character last week based on 4e rules, but I'm going to be doing Eberron which i found is for 3.5, so any advice on converting it to 4e? Also could you please share your advice on converting 3.5 races to 4e such as the Feral Gargun which i will be playing?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
There is a 4E version of the eberron campaign setting and 4E Eberron adventure in print as well. I really have no idea what a feral gargun is. Maybe play a shifter?

wedgeski

Adventurer
I will probably be going with 4e since I've gotten ahead of myself and made my character last week based on 4e rules, but I'm going to be doing Eberron which i found is for 3.5, so any advice on converting it to 4e? Also could you please share your advice on converting 3.5 races to 4e such as the Feral Gargun which i will be playing?
Luckily for you, Eberron was released for 4E as well. :)

Good luck in whichever system you choose, and welcome to the game!

Agamon

Adventurer
If you're new to RPGs, I suggest you don't try to do any converting of one edition to another. Some experience in one or the other is a good idea before doing anything like that.

Looking over and/or trying both is a good idea to see what you might prefer. 4e might be easier to grasp for someone new, but it all depends.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads