D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Sniff ... Kobold Characters have -2 con now

Baumi

Adventurer
I just took a look at my favorite Race, the Kobolds, and saw that they have now a -2 Con :(

But I wonder why, after all they have 10 Con. I know that they have only a half-hitdie but this shouldn't count for characters because you start out as a class or Humans should also get 1d4 for their first level (commoner)...

Sorry about that rant but I play a Kobold-Illusionist at the time and is quite week even without the -2 con :p

Have FUN!
Graf Flanf

Staffan

Legend
I heard that they removed half-hit dice in 3.5 and instead gave those creatures a Con penalty... so the kobolds have 1d8-1 hp instead of 1d8/2.

And a Con penalty makes more sense, mechanically. If the race is supposed to be so weak and fragile, that shouldn't just go away because they take a character class. A kobold sorcerer should generally have less hp than a human sorcerer.

Technik4

First Post
Speaking of extremes, a kobold with NPC classes is treated as level -3.

So a Kobold War20 is a CR 17 (If it were a human War20 it would be a CR 19). Does this seem off? I mean, the race does have some drawbacks (low str, low con). I guess its kinda like an elf with -4 str and without most of the elvish abilities. But their speed is still 30 (which is pretty big) and they are small. I don't know, anyone else feeling me on this?

Technik

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
In tonight's session, we were clearing out a dungeon that was filled with orcs and goblins. The goblins kept a dozen or so kobolds as kitchen slaves, and we found them huddled in the kitchen trying to avoid the fighting.

After we had killed everything else, the fighter in the party bet the rest of us that he could take a dozen kobolds with his bare hands. The DM let the rest of the party play the role of kobolds....

We creamed him. If you're going to fight kobolds, don't fight kobolds in an area filled with knives, boiling water, or a big pot of stew :D

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
This is an insult! I, as a DM for a predominately kobold party, feel as if WOTC is brazenly insulting the large fanbase that kobolds have.
Oh, well, there's always house-rules.

Demiurge out.

Spatula

Explorer
And it was kind of silly that elves were the only creatures in existance with a Con penalty. Giving the weaker races Con penalties instead of fractional HD is a bit more consistant. Still, it makes kobolds even more worthless...

Feaelin

First Post
Or a more interesting and challenging play. A kobold that excels in a non-kobold world would have to rely on his wits, rather than his brawn. I tend to see them as rogues more than warriors, or rare one would be a sorcerer. As a rogue, their size combined with the 30' speed would be a great combination. Let's not neglect the +3 AC from: +1 from dex (they have +2 to dex), +1 natural armor, and +1 because of size. You make a kobold rogue, and he's going to be very hard to hit (I assume you put your best score in dex). He's not going to be able to take a huge amount of damage if he _is_ hit, but the smart rogue would focus on avoiding damage all-to-gether (dodge, tumble, etc.)

As for what he can deal out...the -4 str really hurts him there, /but/ he can compensate for that by being where it will hurt the enemy the most. You add his higher dex to the +4 hide due to size, and the last thing many a "big person" will see is a small shadowy shape stabbing them in the eye. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Baumi said:
I just took a look at my favorite Race, the Kobolds, and saw that they have now a -2 Con :(

But I wonder why, after all they have 10 Con.

That's because they don't give them all 10's any more. For example, the Kobold Warrior had the base stats Str 13 Dex11 Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

I think 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 is the NPC array (or call it "loser array").

Destil

Explorer
Staffan said:
I heard that they removed half-hit dice in 3.5 and instead gave those creatures a Con penalty... so the kobolds have 1d8-1 hp instead of 1d8/2.
BEST change yet! Fractional hit die had NO place in 3E. It was beyond absurd that of every monster race only elves had a con penelity.

Remove ads