D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Stunning Fist vs. Stunning Attack

Xeoble

First Post
I was perusing the PHB and DMG last night and i came across a discrepancy.

PHB: 1st level monk gets a bonus feat. With that they can take "Stunning Fist". "Stunning Fist" DC is 10+CharLvl+WisMod.

DMG: Refers to epic monk's "Stunning Attack" DC = 10+MnkLvl+WisMod

DMG: Monk's Belt refers to "Stunning Attack"

But monks no longer have "Stunning Attack", they now have a feat, "Stunning Fist"

Any ideas?

The Souljourner

First Post
You would think, after all this time, they'd finally manage to get the usage of Character Level versus Class Level correct.

Obviously those are both supposed to be the same thing and both should use the monk's *Class* level, not character level.

Sheesh.

-The Souljourner

drnuncheon

Explorer
The Souljourner said:
You would think, after all this time, they'd finally manage to get the usage of Character Level versus Class Level correct.

Obviously those are both supposed to be the same thing and both should use the monk's *Class* level, not character level.

Nope.

They changed Stunning Fist in 3.5 now, since monks get the feat rather than their own special version of it. The save DC for anyone with the feat is 10 + 1/2 character level + Wis mod. Normally peopel get 1 stunning attack per 4 levels, but monks are listed as a special case in the feat - their monk levels give 1 each, not 1/4.

In 3.0, the monk's stunning attack was only boosted by his class level. The DMG epic section is pretty obviously a cut & paste error - they took the section directly from the ELH (although they did remember to remove the bit about the speed of small monks.) You'll notice that it still says that the monk's unarmed damage doesn't increase after 16th level, as well - even though it does in 3.5.

As for the Monk's Belt, I'm looking at it and I don't see the confusion. "If donned by a character with the Stunning Fist feat, the belt lets her make one additional stunning attack per day." If you look at the description for Stunning Fist in the PHB, it repeatedly refers to the use of the feat as "making a stunning attack".

J

Remove ads