D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]Worst change (IMHO)

Mercule

Adventurer
I rather liked that option, too.

Of course, I have a DM who thought it was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard, since you can't have half levels at any other point in your career.

Terraism

Explorer
Of course... you could just still use it. :) I'm going to - I liked the option far too much to give it up. And considering I'm a fan of drawn out leveling (one level every few months) it helped define your character right from the get go.

the Jester

Legend
Meh, I never liked it. Apprentice level stuff just doesn't mesh, at all, with the way the entire rest of the game works imho. But, as always, YMMV... and in some cases, it obviously does. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Apprentice level rules were for those who couldn't give up on the idea of starting out as a multiclass option, and which was quickly bred out of us sometime between 2001 and 2003. And hey - that was two pages of new material that they could add to the book! :)

The Souljourner

First Post
If you want to start multiclass, start everyone at 2nd or 3rd level. Simple as that.

And I agree with those who say it was a holdover from 2e.

-The Souljourner

Lord Ravinous

First Post
I think the worst change in 3.5 is the new Weapon Size System, followed closely by halfing Spell Focus feats, and thirdly Wild Shape not granting all Supernatural abilities. Aside from these, the only other thing I can think of is that it takes just as much to specialize in Necromancy as it does in Transmutation, and you cant even take Divination as a prohibited school. But I can learn to live with the last one, but no such luck with the first three.

HeavyG

First Post
The only use I ever got out of the apprentice thingie was that we sometimes require training to multiclass if it involves completely new skill sets (and especially becoming a wizard).

So, if you wanted to play a multiclassed wizard and didn't want to stop the campaign for months or years of training, then you kinda had to use those rules.

I like Souljourner's solution better. :)

Remove ads