• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Wounding blade broken?

Super_Nerd

First Post
My lvl 12 fight bought a +1 adimantine blade of wounding. My group thinks it is broken now I understand it is powerful but I want to know what you guys think and if it is to powerful how could it be modified.

ps. a wounding blade hits for one con dmg every time you Deal dmg with the sword, no saving throw, and its a +2 enchantment

Thanks

Jhyrryl

First Post
On average, two hits from the weapon effectively deals extra damage equal to the target's HD. Against your typical opponent with typical hit points, that'll be 22% of its starting hit points. While that percentage seems big, consider that for a typical 10d8 HD critter with 45 hit points, 22% is 10. A flaming weapon that deals an extra 1d6 fire damage per hit would have done, on average, 7 extra points of damage. But of course, those 10 points can't be resisted or healed with healing magic, and the Con damage is also affecting Fort saves and concentration checks.

Seems balanced to me. Wounding was a weak ability before, now it's a viable option.

Arc

First Post
The only problem I could see is duel-weilding wounding weapons. At higher levels, with Greater TWF, and perhaps the speed enchantment as well (now for the low, low price of +3), it could be a bit dangerous, but otherwise, it seems alright.

Though I can imagine the smacks that will come from this. :D

Or what about an entire party using wounding weapons? *glee*

isoChron

First Post
It's a good chance for dual wielding shortsword user with low str, high dex and weapon finesse to do really much damage in a single round. Say 4 of 6 attacks hit this means 2*HD less in HP in addition to lower Fortitude saves and the damage from the swords blades. So it is 4D6+x+2*HD. (x min. 4)
A fighter with 10 HD and 55 hitpoints loses 34+x HP. That not bad for a fighter with no high strength.

If this wounding shortsword wielder goes for a mage with con 12 or such, the mage would be dead with 12 hits from whatever weapon.

It's not that bad in respect to the 2H-Fighter with greatsword and high STR but for small characters with high DEX this is a "must have". Worried about STR 8 and 1W3-1 Damage ?? Take a rogue with sneak attack or the wounding dagger wielding fighter.

I don't remember if wounding could be used on thrown weapons or shurikens ...

Remember that undead have no constitution score and are immune to wounding.

The more HD the enemy has the better the damage output ... that's something to count on.

BYE

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I think it is too powerful personally. A hasted, single weapon fighter with a wounding weapon will do up to 5 points of Con damage in one round at the highest levels. Dual wielders can really destroy a creatures Con with two wounding weapons.

I recently had the unpleasant experience of fighting a hasted half-fiend duellist wielding a wounding rapier. She hit my cleric for 3 points of Con damage, 26 hit points of lost hit points from the lower Con, and 59 points of regular damage because it was a keen rapier and she critted me twice. It was very, very nasty.

I don't think this was the best possible wounding combination a person could obtain or a DM could make. The new wounding ability is exceedingly powerful considering Haste and increasing iterative attacks. It doesn't scale well. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it worked only once a round, but every hit is nasty beyond recognition, especially considering it is only a +2 modifier.

Mosep

First Post
I think its too good at high levels when the foes got many HD and the players got many attacks. Restoration is a decent counter though.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: re

Celtavian said:
I think it is too powerful personally. A hasted, single weapon fighter with a wounding weapon will do up to 5 points of Con damage in one round at the highest levels. Dual wielders can really destroy a creatures Con with two wounding weapons.

I recently had the unpleasant experience of fighting a hasted half-fiend duellist wielding a wounding rapier. She hit my cleric for 3 points of Con damage, 26 hit points of lost hit points from the lower Con, and 59 points of regular damage because it was a keen rapier and she critted me twice. It was very, very nasty.

Big deal. With a flaming burst weapon, she would have done an extra 3d6+2d10 points instead, which would be an average of 22. If it had been unholy or two energy enchantments, it would have been an extra 6d6, which is about the same.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
By raw damage it is no better than regular energy enhancements until you hit high levels. It is certainly less effective against mooks where you want the instant kill to get the Cleave.

That seems reasonable to me.

The only weird issue with this weapon is it is more efficient against the Big Boss than other opponents. That is not a problem but it could catch a DM off guard.

You are not going to see Wounding much except in level 10+ play. At that point, potions of Lesser Restoration are as much standard equipment as healing potions.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: re

hong said:

Big deal. With a flaming burst weapon, she would have done an extra 3d6+2d10 points instead, which would be an average of 22. If it had been unholy or two energy enchantments, it would have been an extra 6d6, which is about the same.

Of course, energy weapons don't lower your saving throws, making you more susceptible to poisons, spells, death from massive damage, and other nastiness.

J

Remove ads