D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years. This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though. The video below is an 11-hour video, but the...

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

Aldarc

Legend
It doesn't matter what it means in your context. Some of us haven't studied philosophy at all.
That’s fine if you haven’t. I’m not claiming that it should be for people who studied philosophy. I’m not a philosophy major nor am I one of those people who claims to have any authority regard philosophy on the basis of an undergraduate degree. I just think that the philosophical underpinnings of the Factions - their raison d’être - are pretty shallow.

That’s fine if you haven’t. I’m not claiming that it should be for people who studied philosophy. I’m not a philosophy major nor am I one of those people who claims to have any authority regard philosophy on the basis of an undergraduate degree. I just think that the philosophical underpinnings of the Factions - their raison d’être - are pretty shallow.
That would be like me arguing that the cosmological justification for Sigil is pretty shallow. It seems that way to me because I'm trained in cosmology. But even an undergraduate knowledge of philosophy is far more than I have.

The fact the factions aren't depicted as good or evil (merely lawful and chaotic) helps because their can be good harmonium and evil ones, just like their are good cops and bad ones.

That said, I hope we don't shy away from every possible thing that could be seen as remotely controversial. Planescapes is about belief and to see that watered down would return the planes to "place where the high CR monsters live"

I don't like the general trend of demanding fictional worlds be sanitized to work more like how somebody imagines an ideal world ought to work, as though when you imagine things you're morally obligated to imagine better things than exist. Sometimes this goes even as far as demanding the bad guys not be very bad. I think this is boring and tends to turn fiction into an ideological vehicle. A little more Athens vs Sparta, a little less Equestria vs Mordor. I'm not saying a published world needs to be a simulation, I'm just saying it's not wrong for it to take some cues from the real world.

For example, a pet peeve of mine is the very American fantasy of the princess who ditches the palace to go be personally fulfilled somewhere (work for a fashion magazine, smooch some rugged lumberjack, idk). Back when hereditary monarchy was the real seat of power, Mad King Charles II, excessively inbred king of Spain, dying without an heir meant 13 years of war and maybe a million people dead. So Prince Peacock abdicating his throne to go live a fulfilling life as D&D's best class, the bard, is just not as simple as "arranged marriage bad, finding yourself good."

I don't like the general trend of demanding fictional worlds be sanitized to work more like how somebody imagines an ideal world ought to work, as though when you imagine things you're morally obligated to imagine better things than exist. Sometimes this goes even as far as demanding the bad guys not be very bad. I think this is boring and tends to turn fiction into an ideological vehicle. A little more Athens vs Sparta, a little less Equestria vs Mordor. I'm not saying a published world needs to be a simulation, I'm just saying it's not wrong for it to take some cues from the real world.

For example, a pet peeve of mine is the very American fantasy of the princess who ditches the palace to go be personally fulfilled somewhere (work for a fashion magazine, smooch some rugged lumberjack, idk). Back when hereditary monarchy was the real seat of power, Mad King Charles II, excessively inbred king of Spain, dying without an heir meant 13 years of war and maybe a million people dead. So Prince Peacock abdicating his throne to go live a fulfilling life as D&D's best class, the bard, is just not as simple as "arranged marriage bad, finding yourself good."
Conversely, Sweden weathered the abdication of Queen Christina to be personally fulfilled elsewhere just fine....

Also, Carlos II didn't die without an heir, he died with too many potential heirs, with no 100% clear line of succession, two of which would have severely unbalanced the then-current European power structure had they inherited...

The Spanish king Carlos II "el hechizado" (the bewitched) was not mad, but with intact mental capacities. There were very hard years for the Spanish empire, but he did a serious effort trying to be a good king. Lots of horrible things about Spanish History aren't true, by lies, enemy propaganda by rival powers.

Zardnaar

Legend
Conversely, Sweden weathered the abdication of Queen Christina to be personally fulfilled elsewhere just fine....

Also, Carlos II didn't die without an heir, he died with too many potential heirs, with no 100% clear line of succession, two of which would have severely unbalanced the then-current European power structure had they inherited...

One of the English Queens did the grand tour of Italy with her lover leaving her husband in England.

Abdication was very rare though. Wasn't unheard of. One of the Ottoman sultans did it but had groomed his heir and was available to help.

The Spanish king Carlos II "el hechizado" (the bewitched) was not mad, but with intact mental capacities. There were very hard years for the Spanish empire, but he did a serious effort trying to be a good king. Lots of horrible things about Spanish History aren't true, by lies, enemy propaganda by rival powers.

Whether or not he actually suffered any particular mental handicap, he died without producing offspring, and the War of Spanish Succession was a particularly long, hard one. Wars of succession were the most common sorts of wars in Europe for a long time.

Fortunately, she didn't abdicate and jaunt off to Rome without resolving the succession issue. And, of course, the conflicts between Catholics and Lutherans in post-medieval Europe are just as alien to the American mindset as the issues surrounding hereditary monarchy. Why can't we all just get along? Elizabeth, Philip, you two just meet up for coffee and discuss your differences, okay?

Zardnaar

Legend
Whether or not he actually suffered any particular mental handicap, he died without producing offspring, and the War of Spanish Succession was a particularly long, hard one. Wars of succession were the most common sorts of wars in Europe for a long time.

Fortunately, she didn't abdicate without resolving the succession issue. And, of course, the conflicts between Catholics and Lutherans in the 17th century Sweden are just as alien to the American mindset as the issues surrounding hereditary monarchy. Why can't we all just get along?

Because human.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It is shallow, but that's a feature, not a bug. D&D is built on tropes, and the Factions hit the trope version of some philosophical concepts pretty well.

I mean, they COULD have built faction around alignment; Factions as presented are a big step up from that. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads