• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 3 Years Later: D&D's total Domination on Amazon (and Earth in General)

Sacrosanct

Legend
I still think Paizo would make a ton of money by converting their older APs over to 5e. They don't have to switch to 5e entirely, but they're leaving money on the table by not making it easy to run their older stuff on the most popular system - and perhaps new stuff should be published in both 5e and Pathfinder formats. (I know Morrus, for one, vehemently disagrees :) )

But flooding the market is never a good plan. They should do 1 a year IMHO.

I think it would be very difficult for them to do, because they'd have to follow the 5e SRD (unless they sold them solely on the DMs guild, which I don't see that ever happening). So I imagine there would be A LOT of rework needed in those APs to make them compliant with the SRD. Of course, a ton of rework would be needed anyway just to convert from what is basically 3e to 5e. Probably just isn't worth it to them.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think it would be very difficult for them to do, because they'd have to follow the 5e SRD (unless they sold them solely on the DMs guild, which I don't see that ever happening). So I imagine there would be A LOT of rework needed in those APs to make them compliant with the SRD. Of course, a ton of rework would be needed anyway just to convert from what is basically 3e to 5e. Probably just isn't worth it to them.

Adventures in Middle Earth seems to have made out like a bandit though...

Sacrosanct

Legend
Adventures in Middle Earth seems to have made out like a bandit though...

Having played AiME but not TOR, I can say they did a lot of work for AiME. The books are gorgeous (which I suspect Paizo would have the same), and they have the benefit of being in Middle Earth---the most popular fantasy setting of all time. Also, as an aside, AiME is my go to system when I want to play low magic D&D. I don't even use the setting, but allow the classes in my generic low magic 5e setting. I don't think TOR had close the number of gamers playing their system that Paizo has with Pathfinder, so I think their reward vs. effort was very much worth it. I.e., they could sell a lot more books by using 5e. I'm not sold that's the case for Pathfinder. Pathfinder has its fans because they like that system. How many would move over to 5e? That haven't already? That haven't already converted the APs into 5e? For example, I've already converted all of my favorite AD&D modules to 5e, so I have no desire to repurchase them even if WotC released 5e conversions for them all.

Arilyn

Hero
I dunno seems like low-hanging fruit and it introduces new people to Paizo's products? Currently there's no reason for all the new 5e players to even think of Paizo.

From what I understand Paizo got their user base from WotC. What evidence is there that their user base is expanding?

That's great - I was just suggesting it as a likely way for them to make a ton of easy cash (and potentially introduce people to Paizo) but, wow, looks like I keep touching the third rail of RPGs. I'll stop bringing it up as it obviously upsets people :)

Disclosure: I know little about Paizo, but I do own the combat pad (which I like) and have a mild interest in running Rise of the Runelords in 5e. Shoot me now! ;)

Wasn't meaning to sound touchy, but people keep saying Paizo is doing all these things wrong, but they are very successful, so huh?

Your point about low hanging fruit makes sense on the surface, but Paizo would need to assign staff to converting, and I don't think that makes sense for them, as then those staff members are not working on Pathfinder projects. After all, a lot of players are converting on their own, anyway!

As far as introducing new players to PF, they have an excellent beginner box, and are a huge presence at Gen Con. I am not trying to toot Paizo's horn over other systems. My favourite F20 game is 13th Age. I enjoy playing both PF, and 5e. I just feel that Paizo is an extremely well run company that is not suffering unduly over the success of 5e. Slashing their production schedule will not be a wise move, if it is unnecessary.

I have run PF arcs for 5e and 13th Age. Nobody has shot me yet! Sharing is the norm for this hobby. Pelgrane and Chaosium work well together, even though they are both publishing Cthulhu games. Also, Atlas and Arc Dream are part of this club as well. Fierce competition between rpg companies is a myth. Fans, on the other hand...

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
As far as introducing new players to PF, they have an excellent beginner box, and are a huge presence at Gen Con. I am not trying to toot Paizo's horn over other systems. My favourite F20 game is 13th Age. I enjoy playing both PF, and 5e. I just feel that Paizo is an extremely well run company that is not suffering unduly over the success of 5e. Slashing their production schedule will not be a wise move, if it is unnecessary.

I just picked up the 13th Age CRB to see what it's all about. I've no interest in doing the same with Paizo's core books as it looks a bit overwhelming and I'm happy with 5e!

I'm interested to see how it all plays out - great that WotC, Paizo and seemingly FFG are firing on all cylinders - truly a golden age of TTRPGs!

Arilyn

Hero
I just picked up the 13th Age CRB to see what it's all about. I've no interest in doing the same with Paizo's core books as it looks a bit overwhelming and I'm happy with 5e!

I'm interested to see how it all plays out - great that WotC, Paizo and seemingly FFG are firing on all cylinders - truly a golden age of TTRPGs!

It is. Lots of doom and gloom about the greying of the hobby, but I'm seeing lots of young people entering the hobby.Kickstarter has been a boon, and Gen Con is getting bigger every year. Robin D. Laws and Ken Hite have said that while manning the Pelgrane booth they used to be able to leave their post to poke around. Not anymore! They are kept hopping the whole time. Also, more and more families are role playing together. That was unheard of back in the day. And there is a huge selection of really cool, exciting rpgs being published and surviving. So yes, I agree, it is a golden age for role playing games.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think Wotc has done well with social media and streaming as well, and D&D is now much more accessible and public. Look at The Nerdist doing their CelebriD&D shows. They just released one today as a matter of fact with John Bradley (Samwell from GoT).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think Wotc has done well with social media and streaming as well, and D&D is now much more accessible and public. Look at The Nerdist doing their CelebriD&D shows. They just released one today as a matter of fact with John Bradley (Samwell from GoT).

Yeah the cross-exposure it's getting is incredible. Everyone's coming out of the woodwork to proclaim their love :)

BoldItalic

First Post
If it's of any interest, Amazon.co.uk classifies the PHB under Books/Reference/Hobbies & Games and also under Books/Sports, Hobbies & Games/Hobbies & Games

In Books/Reference/Hobbies & Games
No.1 'Best Seller', No.1 'Most Wished For', No.1 'Most Gifted'

In Books/Reference
No.11 'Best Seller', No.9 'Most Wished For', No.43 'Most Gifted'

In Books/Sports, Hobbies & Games/Hobbies & Games
No.3 'Best Seller', No.6 'Most Wished For', No.20 'Most Gifted'

In Books/Sports, Hobbies & Games
No.9 'Best Seller', No.9 'Most Wished For', No.42 'Most Gifted'

The PHB has never been in the top 100 of 'All Books'.

Xanathar's Guide To Everything

In Books/Sports, Hobbies & Games/Hobbies & Games
No.29 'Best Seller', No.4 'Most Wished For', No.2 'Hot New Releases'

In Books/Sports, Hobbies & Games
No.77 'Best Seller', No.6 'Most Wished For', No.6 'Hot New Releases'

In all books
No.89 'Most Wished For', No.42 'Hot New Releases'

DaveDash

Explorer

Absolutely, Twitch/YouTube and a bit of a revival of geek culture is really helping the D&D brand get out there at the moment. Some of these channels are getting millions of views.

None of this would be possible though without a more streamlined set of rules, that's more theatrics friendly (like 5e).

Remove ads