3PP Release (3rd Party Book Release) Paranormal Power: A Psionics Option for 5e and A5e, written by Steampunkette!

I just bought the pdf and looking it over, I like what I'm seeing, but I just have a very minor quibble; the book claims it's for 5e and A5e, but I see it uses A5e terminology and I'm not 100% sure what an "expertise die" is (I mean, I can guess, but I'm not 100% sure what value it should have, I'm assuming it's related to proficiency bonus, so I'm thinking 2 = d4, 3 = d6, 4 = d8?).

Is there a primer somewhere to help someone convert A5e to 5e?
IIRC, there's also a section in the A5E Adventurer's Guide as well as on the A5E.Tools site and/or the LevelUp site that explains how to convert between o5e (reg 5th ed) & a5e (LevelUp) to make it easy. That being said, as Steampunkette posted above, it's relatively easy to adjust any a5e-specific terminology to o5e in pretty much any a5e/a5e-compatible product. if there's any questions you got a whole forum of people here to help out & there's a couple of discords available for anything a5e-related, just ask!

renbot

Adventurer
A5e is 5e compatible... by and large. And so is the Esper. To easily convert, use the following steps:

1) Expertise is a +2 bonus
2) Exertion is 2xProficiency modifier Exertion Points to spend between short rests.
3) Rattled: Changed to 'Cannot take reactions"
4) Psionic Heritage Traits are Feats
5) Nedraz Heritage + 1 culture = D&D Race/Species. Basically like the Winged/Feral Tiefling choice.

The rest of the book is basically Fluff and Monsters. And the monsters are 5e compatible, just ignore the "Bloodied" note on their HP.
While these conversions are accurate, you might also want to keep in mind that A5E's has a higher base power level than 5E. An Esper in a party with standard 5E classes seems like it could be a bit overpowered since it is balanced against other A5E class options. So Esper "expertise" and exertion might need to be retooled.

Edit: a good example is the Awakened Mind Combat Tradition. Combat traditions in A5E seem designed to bridge the "martial-caster power gap" and almost certainly do. However, there isn't a CT equivalent in 5E so allowing it for one martial-ish class or subclass might create a different kind of "power gap."

Last edited:

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
While these conversions are accurate, you might also want to keep in mind that A5E's has a higher base power level than 5E. An Esper in a party with standard 5E classes seems like it could be a bit overpowered since it is balanced against other A5E class options. So Esper "expertise" and exertion might need to be retooled.

Edit: a good example is the Awakened Mind Combat Tradition. Combat traditions in A5E seem designed to bridge the "martial-caster power gap" and almost certainly do. However, there isn't a CT equivalent in 5E so allowing it for one martial-ish class or subclass might create a different kind of "power gap."
I don't actually agree with the premise of this statement.

A5E characters are usually significantly more versatile than O5E ones, but their raw numeric power output tends to be lower. They only get a net +2 ability score increase instead of +3-+6 in O5E, features like Divine Smite are capped at lower damage levels, etc.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter

So... let's do a comparison!

Easiest comparison for the Esper to a standard 5e class is the Warlock. I did use Invocations as a guidepost after all, and aimed at maxing out their powers at around the same overall level of damage dealing capabilities.

So right out the gate let's build the Esper to use TK and have a Mind Strike while the Warlock uses Eldritch Blast and Hex.

Eldritch Blast is 1d10, hex for another 1d6, average damage is 9.
TK is 1d8+1 and Mind Strike is 1d6+3 assuming int is a 16. Average damage is 12.

WHOA! A third more damage? Yup. And unlike Hex it doesn't require a 1st level spell slot or other resource expenditure... but.

It does require two attack rolls. Or an attack and a saving throw. And your action and bonus action every round to maintain it. If you don't spend your bonus action on Mind Strike your damage drops down to 5.5. If you don't use TK it's 6.5. So the -actual- DPR is going to favor the Warlock. Especially since the Warlock could choose to dual-wield and have a decent chance of landing two hits for 1d4+1d6 each, +1 or +2 for the main hand by dual-wielding daggers. Though they could use a mace and dagger for 2d6 and 1d4+1d6, if they don't want to finesse it.

So the warlock gets a little edge on DPR for the hour of Hex (Barring concentration breaking) while the Esper can do more reliably consistent DPS since if they miss once they can try again. However they can keep 'dual wielding' their powers after Hex's duration ends. Though at level 1, you're probably going to get 1-2 encounters, maybe 3, before the short rest. And the Warlock can just bounce the hex 'til then.

The Esper can also do their augment to increase a couple of TKs per day to 2d8, but still has that miss chance. And the Warlock also has a second Cantrip which they can use for various situations, and a second spell known they can use if Hex is a bad call for a situation.

The Warlock also has a d8 to the Esper's d6. Not a -huge- difference at level one... but one which grows quickly.

By level 5, the Warlock's got 3 invocations and the Esper has 2 noetics... but noetics are also less powerful by comparison. Some of them are pretty similar, like Psionic Stride basically letting Espers jump well to a similar degree as Otherworldly Leap. But others are way more limited, like Excise Influence which only works on Possessed creatures. And none of the noetics increase your damage.

The Warlock's probably going to be adding Cha to their Eldritch Blasts at this point, as well. Hex can last 8 hours and be cast just before a short rest... So 2d10+2d6+5. Compared to 1d8+5 and 1d6+5. Average of 21 versus average of 18. Things are really breaking more into the Warlock's favor. Especially with spell variety. The Warlock will know 6 spells of their choosing and another 6 from their Patron's spell list. The Esper will have 3 powers. 4 if they choose an archetype that grants an extra power known. (3 do, 2 don't)

Now -if- they go with the Psychic Warrior archetype, they'll also know combat maneuvers! But none of their maneuvers can be used in conjunction with their powers. So they're trading their 1d8+5 TK for what is probably around 1d8 weapon damage (Though they get Int to attack) to do some cool stuff a limited number of times per short rest. So it's a tradeoff. The best they could reasonably do is 2d6 from a greatsword plus strength... but then they're a d6 character with a two-handed weapon in melee relying on the extra 5hp granted from their archetype... And they only get one weapon attack.

Pact of the Blade Warlock, though, gets 2 at level 5 with another invocation. The Esper has to wait 'til 6 to get two attacks. Theoretically the Warlock could get 4d6+2d6+10 by going melee at this point on a target afflicted by hex while swinging a Greatsword pact blade with the same sort of hit points as the Psychic Warrior, on average.

So... y'know. The Esper does some neat stuff. It's engaging and it does a comparatively high -consistent- DPR. But it doesn't excel at DPR. And it has some fun toys on the side, but it's not going to be as flexible as your Warlock. But it might get more "Spells" per day by rolling well on augments... those spells won't be as strong though and have more limited targeting.

Narrow focus, flexible powers, consistent ability. Those were the goals of the Esper. But not to the point of aiming for OP.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Pssssssst.... >.>

image.png

Nedraz Art.

renbot

Adventurer
I don't actually agree with the premise of this statement.

A5E characters are usually significantly more versatile than O5E ones, but their raw numeric power output tends to be lower. They only get a net +2 ability score increase instead of +3-+6 in O5E, features like Divine Smite are capped at lower damage levels, etc.

Fair enough. I've never actually played A5E, only read the books. I saw that PCs got more "stuff" and assumed they were more powerful. Happy to hear the "stuff" is intended to make them more flexible instead.

Note to self: only comment on games you have actually played!

Remove ads