3PP Release (3rd Party Book Release) Paranormal Power: A Psionics Option for 5e and A5e, written by Steampunkette!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Now I feel really old/grognard: 1984 is the year my daughter was born!
I always say 1984 was the best year. Great year for hard rock music (Scorpions Love at First Sting, Van Halen 1984, Metallica Ride the Lightning, Ratt Out of the Cellar, Twisted Sister, etc). Great year for movies (Terminator, Gremlins, Neverending story, Last Starfighter, Buckaroo Bonzai, Dune, Conan the Destroyer, Ghostbusters, Nausicaä of the Valley, etc).

And a great year for RPGs. D&D was still at the top from a customer standpoint (all the books and adventures and minis were easily accessible, the cartoon was still going, etc.).

GuyBoy

Hero
I always say 1984 was the best year. Great year for hard rock music (Scorpions Love at First Sting, Van Halen 1984, Metallica Ride the Lightning, Ratt Out of the Cellar, Twisted Sister, etc). Great year for movies (Terminator, Gremlins, Neverending story, Last Starfighter, Buckaroo Bonzai, Dune, Conan the Destroyer, Ghostbusters, Nausicaä of the Valley, etc).

And a great year for RPGs. D&D was still at the top from a customer standpoint (all the books and adventures and minis were easily accessible, the cartoon was still going, etc.).
I’m with you on 1984 being great for movies (and daughters in my case), but music?
No, 1979 had Blondie, Stiff Little Fingers, The Clash, Ramones, Jam, X Ray Specs and many more. Impossible to match!

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
God Of War Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

I know you're not doing it for the greed, but I'm totally rooting for you to get way more than expected.
I mean...

Kickstarter takes about 5% and then Stripe (payment processor) gets another 5%. Subtract shipping for books off of that, plus commissioned art off of the 90% left. Josh Gentry did the art direction for 35%. And what's left is what I earn.

Currently at $2,307 that's $23.07 for Kickstarter and Stripe, 24 books to ship out at between $5 and $12 a book (Let's call it 5) for $120, puts Josh's cut at $757.37, and me at $1435.

With 33,000 words in the book, that's about $0.04/word. 1 cent less per word than I get from the Gate Pass Gazette.

I'd -love- to see my profit margin more than double so I can earn $0.10-0.12 per word and I'd consider it an unmitigated success.

If I can manage $0.20 per word... I'll be flatly stunned and amazed.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I mean...

Kickstarter takes about 5% and then Stripe (payment processor) gets another 5%. Subtract shipping for books off of that, plus commissioned art off of the 90% left. Josh Gentry did the art direction for 35%. And what's left is what I earn.

Currently at $2,307 that's $23.07 for Kickstarter and Stripe, 24 books to ship out at between $5 and $12 a book (Let's call it 5) for $120, puts Josh's cut at $757.37, and me at $1435.

With 33,000 words in the book, that's about $0.04/word. 1 cent less per word than I get from the Gate Pass Gazette.

I'd -love- to see my profit margin more than double so I can earn $0.10-0.12 per word and I'd consider it an unmitigated success.

If I can manage $0.20 per word... I'll be flatly stunned and amazed.
Hi @Steampunkette I did a quick spreadsheet. I'm happy to share it with you if you like, please let me know if you want me to share here or I can DM you

Depending on your assumptions, you may not be making quite that per word based on current backing level

It's unclear to me in the KS description who will pay for the printing? All I'm clear on is that backers will pay for shipping

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Hi @Steampunkette I did a quick spreadsheet. I'm happy to share it with you if you like, please let me know if you want me to share here or I can DM you

Depending on your assumptions, you may not be making quite that per word based on current backing level

It's unclear to me in the KS description who will pay for the printing? All I'm clear on is that backers will pay for shipping
Ack! You're right. I didn't include printing, which is $10.35/book. So even less per word! Though the shipping is variable based on location in the world, ranging from $5 (US) to closer to $20 (Australia). I'm only charging $5-6 for shipping, and paying the rest out of the proceeds.

Feel free to put it here?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Ack! You're right. I didn't include printing, which is $10.35/book. So even less per word! Though the shipping is variable based on location in the world, ranging from $5 (US) to closer to $20 (Australia). I'm only charging $5-6 for shipping, and paying the rest out of the proceeds.

Cool will do in a bit - I actually jotted it down in another spreadsheet I am working on, so will transport it to a fresh sheet I can share.

Also I'm in a Zine Month (ZiMo) discord and someone just posted this. It's a bit late for you, but still good stuff to consider for anyone doing a small scale crowdfund. And I think their next post is about what to consider AFTER the dust settles...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

Sheet

You can make a copy to your own google account and then fiddle with it to your heart's content. I just used the current value of the KS and qty of books.

Also, your kickstarter says: "Physical copies are hardcover with full color interiors, but there is a shipping cost." I took that to mean that ME as a backer pays the shipping cost. I think you should pass those costs on to the backers, personally. The way supply chains are going postage rates are bonkers. A book to New Zealand or Brazil or South Africa could be more than the cost of the book (US$50)

For example, South Africa package for a 2lb package is $34.45

Remove ads