• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4.0 D&D: Not too far away? Thoughts and opinions

What do you think about 4.0 D&D?

• Those money hungry goons already have their 4.0 marketing strategies worked out.

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • 4.0? Gee, I can't wait!

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • 4.0? That's what they want you to think.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 4.0 won't be around for years. Get a grip.

Votes: 76 55.5%
  • I really don't care. 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, I just use what works.

Votes: 27 19.7%

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
Based on reading the information on this site, one could conclude that 4th Edition D&D is not too far away. AD&D came around only 4 years after D&D came out (or 7 years, depending on your own view). Of course, you could ignore this information altogether, since it was a long time ago. Either way, I'm just curious about people's opinions.

For the record, if it even matters, I'm completely neutral on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

LGodamus

First Post
Broke man = unhappy man ............

I couldnt buy a 4th edition if there was one...I am having to beg 3.5 for my upcoming birthday

ph34r

First Post
I was fine with 3rd Edition. And now 3.5 Edition looks like it just made it better. If they switched to a new system soon, I wouldn't play it, for awhile atleast.

paulewaug

I went with using what works, (Best for me and my group ;) that is)

When 4.0 comes out and I can't afford it then I won't buy it.
If it totally rocks and I have to have it I'll scrape up the money for it- But this is no different than any other game system. I am always checking out different game systems looking or the fun factor between hours of good mindless gaming fun and somehting that is "realistic" yet not overly complicated.

So really if 4.0 is a majordeparture from the D&D system I will treat it just like a different game system, That just happens to call itself Dungeons and Dragons.

I am only buying 3.5 because personally I happen to in favor of the majority of what is going to be in the newer books (so far as I know at this point, I could be horribly disappointed, but so far I am liking it.)

"Back in the day" we used to play a hybrid of 1ed and 2ed and it was great fun. I do Mostly prefer 3.0 and I Think I will prefer 3.5 to that.

I will only buy 4.o if I think it is an improvement, not just because it seems to be the supposed stage in the evolution of D&D.

I don't think Anybody should waste their money on a system they don't like.

I have seen way too many people playing 40k or Warhammer Fantasy Battles and just mocking the system the entire time,
I have never understood that- if you don't like it don't play it.

I don't doubt there are still people playing 1e or 2e, hey if that is their preference than cool. Personally I prefer 3.o and my group likes to play it, that is the only reason we play it.
Yours too I hope for whatever system you use.

I do hope that it doesn't come out too soon though, as personally I think this could be bad for "the market"

GW has/had a habit of putting out a new game and then dropping support for it after 6 months to a year; the players started to get a bit jadded, for good reason IMO.

It may have better if they had just wated and done a full on 4.0 instead. I wouldn't be shocked if it was @4years when it comes
out. However I will decide based on the game and how I feel about it.
I wasn't too sure about 3.o before it came out, and I have been mostly happy with it. I have a few problems with some of the rules, but for me 3.5 is 'fixing that'.
Play what you like, pay for what you like.

It just too bad games don't come with a Money Back Guarantee!!

Jhamin

First Post
As I understand it both 4th and 5 Edition D&D are in advanced playtesting and will be released simultaniously exactly 15 shopping days before Christmas 2004. Everyone who has ever paid electronically for anything will automaticlaly be charged for both and WOTC thugs will roam door to door burning copies of older, incompatable products.

6th edition, which will be sold in randomly packaged envelopes of 10 pages will be avalible one year after that. Collect them all!

Chris Coulter

First Post
LGodamus said:
Broke man = unhappy man ............

I couldnt buy a 4th edition if there was one...I am having to beg 3.5 for my upcoming birthday

Dude, by the time 4th comes out you'll be rolling down the road in a limo drinking champagne out of some fashion model's shoe.

You can quote me on that son.

A'koss

Explorer
I think before we see a 4th edition, WotC will almost certainly test the waters for potential rule changes in other products. 3e borrowed a lot from games that came before it - Player's Option, Alternity, etc. which also helped to bridge the changes between editions.

Do I think we'll see another edition soon? 2006 is my guess, 2007 at the latest.

A'koss.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads