4 Reasons Black People Don't Play Tabletop RPGs

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
In the early seasons of The Walking Dead this seemed to be the case. In one episode, I laughed out loud in one season where they introduce a new black character only to have The Governor kill a black character introduced a few episodes earlier by the end of the episode. It was like they reached their quota of black characters or something.
That was one of three or four (I can't recall now; it's been several years since I watched that season) new characters who were introduced when the cast cleared out that old prison. None of them lasted very long.

EDIT: Five characters, as it turns out: Axel (Caucasian), Tomas (Hispanic), Oscar (African-American), Andrew (African-American), and Big Tiny (African-American). All were introduced, and killed off, in season three.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
'Forbidden' is a extreme interpretation (although there were regions that took that line).

But as a lifelong Catholic, I haven't seen any pushback against the hobby on religious grounds.

I think the 'weirdness' of the hobby was what caused the main issues in the 80s; given the actual cults that were popping up around then (remember the Moonies? Jim Jones?) and the difficulty in exactly explaining the hobby to other people.

Now video games and movies have mainstreamed a lot of the concepts.
I did, in the mid 80's - but Rev. Friar Kent Burtner, OP, put them in their place. (My dad was the Cathedral Deacon, and Friar Kent was the Cathedral pastor and a cult-deprogrammer...) Friar Kent never joined us in play, but sometimes would come and listen... His line to the sisters of St Paul was, "8 kids playing games which generate stories on a friday night, no drugs, no booze, and no sex? That's a triple win, sisters."

And I'm aware that some of the families of color were still strongly holding to the pre V-II prohibition on outside affiliations, at least in Anchorage, into the mid 1980's. One young lady, a few years younger than I, was being encouraged by her mother to see if I was interested. Her mother was dead scared J would marry outside the faith. I don't know if she did or not; I'd switched parishes.

Remove ads