• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4 Reasons Black People Don't Play Tabletop RPGs

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Most of the people were kind and well intentioned, but I just think they were reacting to an exaggerated sense of danger around the game, and there was also something in the air in the culture at the time where maybe a lot of fears lurking in the back of peoples minds were being expressed in this fear of satanic cults.
This is tangential, but for those interested in learning more about the moral panic (Satanic and otherwise) surrounding D&D and other tabletop role-playing games, I recommend Joseph Laycock's book on the subject. It's a truly insightful examination of exactly what caused that particular bout of mass hysteria, and what the people who abetted it were thinking.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That might be it. Inclusion of black characters into a the crew of main characters in a mainstream series wasn't really a thing until I think the 80s. And even then the character's blackness would barely be shown. Media for different groups were heavily separated by race well into the 90s. But the 90s graduated to including "black characters who danced, listen to black music, and played sports". Major discussion about real inclusion wasn't into recent times.

Even now there are few African, Black American, Caribbean, and Afrolatino elements in most RPGs. And now due to racial sensitivity issues in RPGs, I don't know were it will go. But I think video games are far ahead of TTRPGs on this one.
For the longest time, ethnic minorities were routinely (but not exclusively) cast in “redshirt” roles in visual media. As the joke goes, they were only there to show the dangerousness of the situation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I predicted #1-4 and expected a 5th (The RPG design community makes little attempt to put Black elements in their games). He is right more or less.

While it is true, the presentation leads me to think he'd feel that is minor compared to the other points, and/or would likely self-correct (eventually) if the other points were not present.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
For the longest time, ethnic minorities were routinely (but not exclusively) cast in “redshirt” roles in visual media. As the joke goes, they were only there to show the dangerousness of the situation.

Or to show that the main character was cool from having a ethnic minority close friend or to allow the use of minority elements likemusic or clothing on the majority main character or if you go way back were just comic relief.

While it is true, the presentation leads me to think he'd feel that is minor compared to the other points, and/or would likely self-correct (eventually) if the other points were not present.

IT iss possible he thinks it is minor. For example, anime and martial arts movies are big in the American and Caribbean black communities but neither featured many black elements.

However the first thing I would research in a "Why don't Xs do Y activity" is to see in X elements are in Y activity or marketing.

MGibster

Legend
Even now there are few African, Black American, Caribbean, and Afrolatino elements in most RPGs. And now due to racial sensitivity issues in RPGs, I don't know were it will go. But I think video games are far ahead of TTRPGs on this one.
This is a complaint I hear about color blind casting in shows like Bridgerton. As one black critic put it, "They may have black characters but it's still not our story." (I think it was a Youtuber and I can't remember her name.) While I do have some worries that companies might reach a point where they outright avoid diversity for fear of being accused of appropriation, racism, or something else negative, I can't help but notice that there is no shortage of such games being published via Kickstarter or other avenues. So it might be a needless worry on my part.
Oh, boy. In the early seasons of The Walking Dead this seemed to be the case. In one episode, I laughed out loud in one season where they introduce a new black character only to have The Governor kill a black character introduced a few episodes earlier by the end of the episode. It was like they reached their quota of black characters or something. There was also the painfully underdeveloped character T-Dog. After his death, we hear about all the great things he did but the trouble was none of those scenes appeared on screen. I don't think most of the audience had any affection for the character because we had no reason to care about him.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sure, but then... you'd miss pretty much everything he said.
It would correlate with his first 2 reasons (lack of knowledge and lack of interest).

How would black people get knowledge and interest in TTRPGs in the industry made little attempts to market to them nor put themselves in causual contact to garner interest and knowledge like other media did?

For example Modern Black religion is heavily focused on fighting the "enemy" and enduring attacks. One could have easily spun that into an RPG and marketed that to black temples and churches. A game where you slay outsider demons, protect the community, and form brotherhoods and fellowships? That coulda been sold.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This is a complaint I hear about color blind casting in shows like Bridgerton. As one black critic put it, "They may have black characters but it's still not our story." (I think it was a Youtuber and I can't remember her name.) While I do have some worries that companies might reach a point where they outright avoid diversity for fear of being accused of appropriation, racism, or something else negative, I can't help but notice that there is no shortage of such games being published via Kickstarter or other avenues. So it might be a needless worry on my part.

It's more that major media productions or afraid of new ideas. Bridgerton is a racial and ethnic minorities cast in a racial and ethnic majority period drama. Though I don't think companies will aviod diversity.They willjust wait for someone to prove it isn't risky to explore other cultures.

They will likely follow Disney's lead. TTRPGs typically have more traditionalists to contend with that Movies, TV, and VG don't have to deal with.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would correlate with his first 2 reasons (lack of knowledge and lack of interest).

How would black people get knowledge and interest in TTRPGs in the industry made little attempts to market to them nor put themselves in causual contact to garner interest and knowledge like other media did?

For example Modern Black religion is heavily focused on fighting the "enemy" and enduring attacks. One could have easily spun that into an RPG and marketed that to black temples and churches. A game where you slay outsider demons, protect the community, and form brotherhoods and fellowships? That coulda been sold.
Possibly, but I don’t know if the market is quite ready for that. We’re still barely moving the needle in supporting minority-centric/created comic books and genre fiction. 🤷

MGibster

Legend

I remember Star Frontiers was heavily advertised in comic books back in the early 80s but I was always confused about what kind of game it was. I was six when the game came out, still a few years away from playing AD&D, and thought Star Frontiers might have been an Atari game or something. Anyway, like many things I got into in my youth, role playing games was a hobby I started because I was introduced to it by people I knew. I don't think I would have ever gotten into role playing games had I not been introduced to them by friends. The truth is, I rarely saw advertisements for games outside of industry related publications like Dragon, my friendly local gaming store, or the occasional comic book.

I'd be very curious to learn how many people jumped in RPGs cold or where introduced to them by someone who was already playing. I know in employment, there's a concern that if you rely on personal networks for candidates you demographics may skew to particular a particular demographic. And socially I imagine it's the same way. If most gamers are introduced to gaming by people they know, well, if you're black that gives you fewer opportunities to be introduced.

Remove ads