40 year old man wants to join my game

Thurbane

First Post
BlackMoria said:
I'm 52 and have been playing since 1974. Most of my original players have seen gone onto life in general and don't play anymore and for the last 25 years, I have been playing with groups in which I was the oldest person.

Significantly older now. As in the players are young enough to be my kids. The age gap between myself and the youngest person is 37 years.

Age isn't a issue at all and never came up in any of the my groups (and I been in many over the years); except for a parent of one of the players in one group who had concerns about her son playing a game with a guy three times his age. Once she met me, things were fine.

Odd that age is an issue with you. Having played with hundreds of people, never once has any player mentioned anything about age or how old I was.

I suspect it is because of love for the game. Age doesn't matter nor should it, IMO.

About the weirdo thing - define weirdo. Because I'm a weirdo in my town because I am the old grumpy guy that plays games (not just D&D) with kids and that makes me a weirdo amoung my peer group. I'm the weirdo because I jump out of perfectly good aircraft as a hobby. I am seen by the neighours practicing swordmanship (fencing / kendo) in my backyard on pleasant summer days. I make swords and knives (took a course in blade making which I still occasionally do when I can access the equipment).

By the standards and activities of my age group in my community, that makes me a weirdo with a capital W and in spades. :D
You sir are my new hero! I hope to be you in 17 years! :D

The Ubbergeek said:
At which age we have to drop videogames/anime/rpg/etc? kind of make me sad...
They'll pry my d20 from my cold, dead hand! Unless I can get the lich template, of course...

Last edited:

Ulrick

First Post
I'm 28, been gaming since I was 10. I've gamed with many age groups over the years. I run a game once a week. And have been doing so since I've started playing D&D.

I've found that age doesn't matter if the person throws tantrums, pouts, exploits the rules and is disrespectful to everybody else, he or she is still a bad gamer. Even people who's lives are totally consumed by the hobby tend to be bad gamers because they don't have outside influences. Age doesn't matter.

I've met 40 year olds like this, even older. And I've gamed people in their teens like this.

On the opposite end I've gamed with many splended players over the years ranging from 10 years old to 75 or so.

Recently, an 18 year old gamer said to me, "You're old."

And I said, "I'm not old, I'm experienced!" :D

Remove ads