40 year old man wants to join my game

Nyaricus

First Post
carlbobo said:
Face it guys this young whipper snapper hates us old farts...hmph.
I'm not sure if you're serious or just sarcastic (which is fine if you are being so), but I've already cleared this up in my second post.

RaZZer99

First Post
Fresh out of grad school and having just moved to a big city for the big job, I tried to join a D&D group to make some friends. This group was newly forming and consisted of 3 people in their late 30's and early 40's. They rejected me because of my age :( I was 26 at the time.

Age-ism is stupid. I can only see it apply in kids under 18 gaming with adults scenario because of possible legality issues.

A just shy of 40 gamer with a vote of 'any game is better no game'...

I have previously played in groups of varying compositions, some experiences were good, others were bad. One of the best groups I was ever in consisted of mostly military with a hefty section of the local high school and a couple area colleges represented.. I think the youngest was 14 and the oldest was 30 something. Of course the play-style wildly shifted based on who was present :)

So.. like others, its not weird for the age difference... just the 'weird-out' factor

Thurbane

First Post
I feel like a creepy old man because, at 35, one group I game with are mostly in their early 20s. Gaming with teens? Dunno about them, but it would make ME feel uncortable.

Every group has a different dynamic, of course, so each to their own. I'm involved in 2 groups: one is most early 20s, who I met through my FLGS; the other is full of grizzled 1E veterans that I have known most of my life. Each group has a distinctly different dynamic. For one, I don't drink with the younger group, but with my old buddies we all pound back a few beers. Also, the level of vulgarity and crude jokes is much, MUCH higher with the older group.

...besides, if I game with teens, I won't get all the Yugioh and DBZ references! (Is that still what the kids are into?) :p

Nifft

Penguin Herder
RaZZer99 said:
Fresh out of grad school and having just moved to a big city for the big job, I tried to join a D&D group to make some friends. This group was newly forming and consisted of 3 people in their late 30's and early 40's. They rejected me because of my age
They probably really rejected you because you were smarter than them.

At least, that's what I tell myself at night.

*sniffle*, -- N

Creamsteak

Explorer
At that age I can completely understand not being keen on gaming with someone much older that you don't know. Hell, if they were not my best friends at the time, I would have been a bit off-set to play dnd with a handful of 21-24 year olds back when I was in high school.

That's my perspective on running the game for someone else. I played in many a game run by an old fart at that age and thought nothing odd about that.

Last edited:

Remove ads