• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Class Survivor - Round 1

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Artificer

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Avenger

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Fighter

• Invoker

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Ranger

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Rogue

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Shaman

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Sorcerer

• Swordmage

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Warden

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Warlord

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Wizard

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Poll closed .

Blizzardb

First Post
There's your problem right there. See also: warlock, warlord, invoker, swordmage.

I meant "new" in terms of 4E. Artificer was present in 3E Eberron and, although I am a dedicated Eberron fan, I didn't like the old artificer. The new take on it is much better and has some cool and unique mechanics that make him a very interesting leader. On the other hand, I loved the old 3E warlock which is one of the reasons to vote the new one off - in my view he just doesn't feel as unique as a warlock should be.

FireLance

Legend
I meant "new" in terms of 4E. Artificer was present in 3E Eberron and, although I am a dedicated Eberron fan, I didn't like the old artificer. The new take on it is much better and has some cool and unique mechanics that make him a very interesting leader. On the other hand, I loved the old 3E warlock which is one of the reasons to vote the new one off - in my view he just doesn't feel as unique as a warlock should be.
The current results seem to indicate some anti-"new" bias, though. The top six classes to be voted off are relatively "new" to the game: the warlord, invoker and swordmage were introduced in 4e, and the artificer, shaman and warlock were not among the Core Eleven classes in the 3e PH.

The next two most voted classes are the paladin and the wizard, arguably the two "Core Eleven" classes that were most changed by the transition to 4e: the paladin because it is no longer required to be Lawful Good, and the wizard because it is no longer as flexible as it used to be.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I'm voting off the Warden, though it looks like I'll be voting against it for awhile. I just don't understand the concept.

I will be a sad panda if the Warlord, my favorite class, is eliminated in the first round.

Insight

Adventurer
I voted off Artificer because I don't do Eberron and I don't want it in my game. For the record, the first race I'll be voting off is the Warforged.

Wik

First Post
I'm actually amazed at the Shaman Hate. I've found it to be one of the most enjoyable classes I've seen in 4e - I'm having a ball with my shaman. the tactical options are pretty broad, and for a leader, I get to do a surprising amount of Damage/controlling. At times, I can function as a controller (though our druid is obviously much better... I find I'm a good secondary controller, much like our sorcerer). And I can dish out a fair amount of damage, too.

Not to mention that the flavour of the class is pretty open. About my only complaint of the class is the fact that your implement has to be "totem", which sort of bugs me.

gribble

Explorer
I am surprised how many people voted off the Artificer and Shaman - two of my favorite new classes.

I like the Artificer (unlike a lot of other people it seems). I voted Shaman for a couple of reasons:
  1. The class just smacks of powersource/rolename. As in "here's a slot that isn't filled, what can we put in it".
  2. Conceptually, I find it very uninteresting. I would have much preferred something like the Thaneborn Barbarian as the primal leader (assuming we needed one - see first point).
  3. Mechanically, it's a poor leader. I've played in a group with one for about half a dozen or so sessions now, and the number of times I've found myself thinking "I wish we had a warlord/bard/artificer - or even a cleric - right now"...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads