4E Class Survivor - Round 14 (We now have the final 5)

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Barbarian

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Rogue

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 46 27.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 28 16.5%

• Poll closed .

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sorcerer. They are the arcane answer to the ranger--they tend to promote a point and shoot playstyle, their flavor is hella dull, and their mechanics (except for chaos sorcs, who are admittedly pretty fun and flavorful) are boring.
I quite like Cosmic Sorcerers (from Arcane Power), in terms of flavor and mechanical coolness.

Cheers, -- N

ZzarkLinux

First Post
I am already quite happy at Ranger and Avenger going boot.

I voted Sorcerer.
Again, it was added as a "sacred cow" from 3e.

It should have been an alternate Wizard build.
We don't need bloat-ware, or bloat-classes

Theroc

First Post
I am already quite happy at Ranger and Avenger going boot.

I voted Sorcerer.
Again, it was added as a "sacred cow" from 3e.

It should have been an alternate Wizard build.
We don't need bloat-ware, or bloat-classes

Isn't Wizard, Rogue, Fighter, Ranger, Druid, Paladin, Barbarian and Cleric each a sacred cow as well?

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I was going to vote off the wizard for most clunky mechanics, but it is such a good archtype! the sorcerer I believe is mechanically superior, but it forces you into a specific type of flavor. (BTW - Why does physical strength make you a better spell-slinger? It runs counter to almost all literature and legend. This was a poor design choice.
It only makes sense if the are a warrior/mage like the Swordmage.)

I agree the warlock has far better flavor, but much worse mechanics. Im ok with it dying earlier.

while the wizard is more open to interrupretation. I think This may be a strength of the Fighter and to a lesser extent rouge.

Anyway what was really annoying me about the wizard recently is the Char Builder format that makes it difficult to specify and find which powers you have chosen to memorize that day.

I think that a solution is to make a bare bones CB char, that only had normal spells picked, then follow up with a second version that only has alternate spells. *end tangent*

anyway can someone defend theire reasoning not to vote off the barbarian?
I will vote for it again, but it seems to have a lot of passive backers.

Maybe we should rate each class on a number of catagories:
Archtype
Mechanics
Specific Flavor
citing each class as strong, moderate or weak in each area.

Last edited:

I'm going to vote off the Sorcerer: it steps on Warlock and Wizard schticks and just doesn't seem to have much story beyond "we had them in 3e so here they are."

Otherwise I would have voted off the Wizard, the last representative of a role that WotC is yet to properly define.

At this stage, it looks like the fighter's going to win (I'm still trying to get the faux wizard removed). However, I'll start working on the fighter next because there is no way the least offensive class should win this thing (unfortunately the most interesting classes have already been voted off).

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
the sorcerer I believe is mechanically superior, but it forces you into a specific type of flavor. (BTW - Why does physical strength make you a better spell-slinger?

The <insert attribute here> of a number of the magical and divine archetypes are boosted by their power ... In other words throughout the characters career his magic gets mightier and for some sorcerers.. it supercharges there dexterity... lightning running through your nervous system. It isn't you training to have precision manual coordination that is making your power greater... it is inverted.

This holds true for many Paladins and Sorcerers and some Warlocks. A paladins strength can be directly seen as always divinely charged not something from lifting weights... same with Sorcerers.

One of the forces my Warlock has a bond to actually interweaves with his life force and is why he is "long lived" and why he has high CON.... (this is not necessarily the only visualization... you can also see it as him learning to resist the pain of channelling other worldly forces and the better he resists the more powerful he channels or creating tighter life ties to this world as potions designed especially for him).

We are encouraged to visualize how our characters powers work...

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
At this stage, it looks like the fighter's going to win (I'm still trying to get the faux wizard removed). However, I'll start working on the fighter next because there is no way the least offensive class should win this thing (unfortunately the most interesting classes have already been voted off).

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Fighters inoffensive?

Have you ever tried to DM for a party with a fighter in it?

*sits in corner muttering about combat challenges and goddamn human black holes*

yesnomu

First Post
anyway can someone defend theire reasoning not to vote off the barbarian?
I will vote for it again, but it seems to have a lot of passive backers.
The barb is a powerful striker, with great flavor (channeling various spirits to wreak havoc). It can be either near-martial (you can now go 1-30 without doing a point of elemental damage), or a crazy thundery burning whirlwind of pain, based on the choices you make. It has an elegant AC compensation feature that keeps AC thematically low, but reasonable. It has plenty of variety in the rage mechanic, where each rage can change up the way you fight. It can nova like a mofo.

And it's a crazy 7-foot tall madman, charging around and smacking dudes with a massive weapon. What's not to like?

Remove ads