4E Class Survivor - Round 14 (We now have the final 5)

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Barbarian

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Rogue

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 46 27.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 28 16.5%

• Poll closed .

lotuseater

Explorer
just like in real survivor, the best classes were voted off a long time ago, because everyone knew that they would be too powerful to let stick around. of course the bard, with his high charisma, was picked out early, lest his pretty words corrupt all the voters. now we are left with the boring dregs. watching the last five rounds is going to be like watching transformers 2:

the lowest common denominator!

Nai_Calus

First Post
just like in real survivor, the best classes were voted off a long time ago, because everyone knew that they would be too powerful to let stick around. of course the bard, with his high charisma, was picked out early, lest his pretty words corrupt all the voters. now we are left with the boring dregs. watching the last five rounds is going to be like watching transformers 2:

the lowest common denominator!

This. We're down to toast soaked in milk. The classes I'd actually want to keep are long gone, and I'm just voting out of habit, and because I don't want the dullest class in existance to win.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This. We're down to toast soaked in milk. The classes I'd actually want to keep are long gone, and I'm just voting out of habit, and because I don't want the dullest class in existance to win.
Toast might not be the most flavorful breakfast in the world, but it will always be one of the most popular. Yes, It is bland, and it is boring, and it is everywhere...but that is precisely why it is awesome. Toast is familiar; people know what they are getting and what it will taste like, every time.

While everyone would agree that, say, a Denver omellette has more flavor than toast, it will never be as popular as toast. Some people don't like eggs, some people don't have time to stand over a skillet or wait at the diner, some people can't have that much cholestrol, some people are allergic, or lactose intolerant, some people only eat Kosher meals, some people are vegan, etc, etc. And you can't eat a Denver omelette every single morning without wrecking your health, no matter how active you are.

The more ingredients a recipe contains, the fewer customers it will appeal to. The more moving parts a machine has, the more often it will break down. More lines of code = more bugs to fix, etc.

But good old reliable toast is uncomplicated, inexpensive, quiet. Load your favorite bread, push a button, and by the time you've poured yourself a cup of coffee, click! you have a hot, portable snack that will tide you over until lunch.

Pass the jam.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Im going to detail Why I think the classes have been voted of in the order that they fell. I came to this late but reading some of the threads would answer interesting questions[sblock] like which leader has the best mechanics?
Do other people find the generic basline cleric as boring as I do?
Does the Barbarian play well? It seems to be hurt by the proffesion v. culture issues
Is the wizard the best mechanical controller or just a stronger archtype. [/sblock]

Code:
Round   Victim     Archtype     Mechanics     Flavor as Presented   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bad: 
  1     Artificer    Poor        (Moderate?)     Poor    
  2     Warlord     Moderate      Poor           Poor
  3     Shaman      Moderate     (Moderate?)    Poor 
  4     Bard        Moderate      Moderate     (Poor?)
  5     Cleric       Good         Moderate      Poor 
  6     Warlock     Moderate      Poor          Good 

The Good: 
  14    Barbarian    Good         Moderate      (Moderate?)  
  15    Wizard       Good        (Moderate?)     Moderate 
  16    Sorcerer    (Good?)        Good          Poor 
  17    Rogue        Good         (Good?)        Good 
  18    Fighter      Good          Good         (Good?)

The question marks are where I think the class is borderline, or there is disagreement on answer.

Archtype: is the class well represented in literature and movies?
Mechanics - nuff said.
Flavor - do the mechanics and flavor presented inspire the imagination and/or allow flexibility to create the character you want to play?

thanks to Lud fore formatting & list of the fallen.

Last edited:

Marshall

First Post
Sorcerer. They are the arcane answer to the ranger--they tend to promote a point and shoot playstyle, their flavor is hella dull, and their mechanics (except for chaos sorcs, who are admittedly pretty fun and flavorful) are boring. Like someone said above, its like if someone traded half of the warlock's flavour in exchange for a significant power boost, and I despise classes that justify their existence purely via obscene damage numbers.

On the contrary, Sorcerers take all the Warlocks flavor, add more AND are mechanically viable.

The Rogue on the other hand takes all the built in flavor of the name and sinks it into a vat of uselessness.

renau1g

First Post

Well, just because a class you don't like isn't around doesn't make it toast soaked in milk. You don't like them, fine you had your vote, on the other hand many people here didn't like the other classes and voted them off. Maybe they found the artificier or warden to be like toast soaked in milk.

If the fighter doesn't interest you, cool don't play one, play a paladin, or a swordmage, or warden, or whatever, but don't tell other people that the class sucks because you don't enjoy it.

P.S. I voted for sorcerer because I love barbarians and knew that sorcerers were the next likely to go.

If the fighter doesn't interest you, cool don't play one, play a paladin, or a swordmage, or warden, or whatever, but don't tell other people that the class sucks because you don't enjoy it.
Why not?

Kind of seems the whole point of a forum is to express an opinion and there has been a fair degree of levity and deliberate hyperbole and parochialism with this 4E class survivor series to boot. Just disagree with him is all you have to do. :)

And to add: if the fighter is honestly though of as the best class in 4E, then I think I'll just have to choke on my toast dipped in vanilla-flavoured milk too. ;)

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I bet if this survey were done in reverse (everyone voted on which class was the best, until only the Absolute Worst was left standing), the fighter would also win. That's the power of toast!

Dice4Hire

First Post
*sits in corner muttering about combat challenges and goddamn human black holes*

Well, if the DM plays tothe fighter's power, then, yes,they are impressive. But they only getone immeidate interrupt per turn, not for each monster's turn. So the first monster shifts, and might get stopped, but after that every other adjacent monster can shift and then move away. Yes, it is good for the party, as the monsters lose attacks, but it helps negate the fighter's "black hole" ability.

If you ahve a DM who lets the fighter play his game, he is totally awesome, but if hte monsters are willing to take a hit or lose an attack now and then, things are much harder for the party to do their thing.

Remove ads