[4e] covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
For those who want to know, I seem to have developed two ideas. One is a dragonborn melee Cleric/Angelic Avenger/Harbinger of Doom of the Raven Queen, with a big scythe (mechanically a fullblade - sorry for stealing the idea Cabana, but it's just too awesome to have a RQ cleric with a scythe!). At this point he's got a mix of damage, buff, and healing powers. I fully expect to tweak power and possibly feat selection once we have a better idea of what our party looks like, though, and that goes for whatever character I end up playing.

The other is sort of an experiment: a Cha paladin/dark-pact warlock made using the hybrid class rules, with Dark Reckoner PP and Harbinger of Doom ED. Again a servant of the Raven Queen (dark pact just representing another connection to her), though probably without the scythe. Don't have all the blanks filled out on him yet, so I'm not sure how viable that is, and of course Cov could decide he doesn't want hybrids in the game (which is fine with me - I was just curious how it would work). One thing that's great about the hybrid rules, though, is that you can use either class's implement to power both classes' implement powers, so all he would need is a pact blade or holy avenger and he's got all his bases covered. That helps a lot for making him viable.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
I'm currently thinking Cosmic Sorcerer/Angelic Avenger/Demigod.

But pretty much a striker for sure, if we aren't missing anything integral.

CaBaNa

First Post
I've got a lot of options for expended a healing surge for a year and a day rituals... How should I handle these?

And do I need to make a place for my phylactery? Should I protect said phylactery, I'll be doing many different preparations depending on how you want to handle my death... 0 HP or below is automatic dust and 24 hour wait?

EDIT: I like the pallock L.S.

My wizard will likely be focused on controlling everything on the board, all at once, few if any single target powers. Not going to bring much in the way of damage, but should really shine on imposing effects and making them stick.

speaking of which, not that I plan on it, but could I use the PH heroes series powers?

EDIT 2: Does PbP gaming effect immediate interrupts in any significant way?

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
0 HP = dust is how I read it, and appearing next to the phylactery "the next day". It's not clear that that implies 24 hours, necessarily. I'd suggest that it happens at a fixed time of day, such as sunrise or sunset.

You should certainly tell me what your phylactery is, where you keep it, what protections it has, and any preparations you make in the event that you need it. It doesn't matter to me whether you keep it with you or the party, or if you build a safe place for it elsewhere.

Which specific PH heroes series powers do you have in mind?

I don't plan to change the rules for immediate interrupts. They do present some unique challenges for PbP, but with quick posting, I hope we can get by. It would help if you give me an indication of when you're likely to use your interrupt powers, e.g. "use Shield if an attack beats my AC by less than 4" or whatever.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Oy, guys!! You went along without me!! :D Kidding... I'm sorry I disappeared, my internet connection went out and I'm waiting for my provider to fix it... I'm at a friend's place now and I don't have the time to write the 15-20 posts I should. So... wait for me for a couple more days!! (hopefully!)

In the meanwhile, I know what I'm going to play. Duran senior, Alexander's father, a rageblood barbarian and an epic mischievous scoundrel in his extraplanar adventures away from the Shifting Isles. :heh:
Here's a work-in-progress character sheet, I haven't read through this thread yet but if there are team redundancies I'll change it...

[sblock=sheet]Anostos Duran,human Rageblood Barbarian/Adroit Explorer/Eternal defender

Str 26(+2 race,+6 level,+2 feature)
Dex 16(+2 level)
Con 20(+6 level)
Int 10(+2 level)
Wis 14(+2 level)
Cha 12(+2 level)

Languages:
Alignment:
Religion:

Init:
Senses:perception , Insight
Speed:

AC: 37
For:36
Ref:28
Will:28

HP:180
Surge value:45(50 when bloodied)
Surges/day:13

Racial Features:

Class features:

Feats (*bonus):
-Action Surge
-Armor proficiency(Chainmail)
-Armor proficiency(Scale)
-Toughness
-Weapon Focus
-Deadly Rage
-Improved Rageblood vigor
-Weapon Expertise
-Battle Awareness

Basic attack:

Skills (*trained; °armor penalty):
Acrobatics° +
Arcana +
Athletics°* +23
Bluff +
Diplomacy +
Dungeoneering +
Endurance°* +25
Heal +
History +
Insight +
Intimidate +
Nature +
Perception +
Religion +
Stealth° +
Streetwise +
Thievery° +

Basic attack: Greataxe +27 vs AC, 2d12+20

Powers:
-will:
Howling Strike: 2d12+3d6+20 (during charge, move +2 if raging)
Pressing Strike: shift 2 squares and 2d12+20(+1d6 if raging) and push 1
Recuperating Strike: 2d12+2d6+20 and gain 5 temp hp(10 if raging)

-encounter:
S-Swift Charge
2-Tiger's Leap*
7-Curtain of Steel
12-Destined for Greatness*(P)
13-Storm of Blades
13-Storm of Blades(P)
13-Blade Whirlwind(17)

-daily:
6-Combat Surge*
9-Oak Hammer Rage
10-Deny Death*
15-Iron Hammer Rage
16-Spur the Cycle*
19-Winter Phoenix Rage
20-Bloodied Greatness(P)
S-Rage Strike

Equipment-125,000(normal load 520; medium load 1040; maximum load 2600):
lvl 20-Brooch of vitality
lvl 10-Belt of blood (5,000)
lvl 22-Dwarven Nagascale +5 (16 AC,+1 For,+5 Endurance)
lvl 19-Rending Greataxe +4(105,000)
lvl 21-Greataxe +5
lvl 16-Iron armbands of power(45,000)
lvl 15-Carcanet of psychic schism(25,000? (+1 will)
lvl 14-Oceanstrider boots(21,000)
lvl 14-Iron ring of the dwarf lords(21,000)
lvl 8-Gauntlets of the ram(3,400)[/sblock]

Nothing cheesy ( ;) cov), but I think he would do his job.

CaBaNa

First Post
lvl 15 attack spell shunt between worlds from dragon 366 (in my spellbook)
lvl 10 utility spell repelling shield from PH heroes series 1 (in my spellbook)
lvl 10 utility spell feywild spellsurge from dragon 366 (prepared)
lvl 1 at-will spell chilling cloud from PH heroes series 1 (prepared)

these are the spells which access needs be asked. Everything else I have in the way of spells is AP/PHB.

also how do I handle these rituals;

Forbiddance - PHB

Teleport Catcher - Dragon Magazine 366 (do I have access?)

Planar Portal in combination with Create Teleportation Circle - PHB/ Manual of the Planes

Guards and Wards - AP

Depending on how these work, and how long I have had to work them, really changes which ones I'll pick.

The Lich transformation was recent, however my wizard has been preparing for a long time. Would my character meet the year requirement, or will he have to keep expending surges to continue his rituals?

If he has had the ritual going for a year, do I need to spend the costs out of my gold?

So far the rituals have been the most difficult monkey...

covaithe

Explorer
I've got a lot of options for expended a healing surge for a year and a day rituals... How should I handle these?

I missed this. Are you talking about, say, setting up a permanent forbiddance around where you keep your phylactery or something? I'm open to the possibility. What I'm thinking is that you can have done this as part of your backstory, so long as you a) know the ritual, and b) pay the component costs out of your starting wealth. Let me know what you have in mind specifically.

In other news, after some reading I've decided to say no to hybrids for this campaign. It's not like there aren't enough other epic character options to explore, and I think FtF games are a better venue for playtesting than PbP.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Welcome back, Ata :) Renau is on holiday until the 13th, though, so we won't be starting at least until then.

Do you actually have all the things you listed there, or are they ideas? For example, I don't think you have the stats to get heavy blade expertise, and it looks like you've spend too much money on magic items by about 60,000 gp. ;) I'm also wondering about Reckless Attacker - how many fighter powers do you have? Seems like a bit of a gamble, but if there aren't any other feats you'd like then I suppose it can't hurt to have it ;) Oh, and cov is giving us the Expertise bonus for free, so you don't need the feat. Looks like a very solid character though, should be fun.

In other news, after some reading I've decided to say no to hybrids for this campaign. It's not like there aren't enough other epic character options to explore, and I think FtF games are a better venue for playtesting than PbP.
No hybrid it is. I was about to say I wasn't going to go with the paladin-warlock hybrid if Oni and Ata are both playing strikers, because he was ending up more striker than defender. Anyway, I think I'd like to try playing a leader anyways - I've played the other three, but never a leader.

So, with that in mind:
[sblock=Sarenax the Reaper]Sarenax the Reaper
Dragonborn Cleric/Angelic Avenger/Harbinger of Doom 21
[sblock=Core Stats]Alignment: Unaligned
Languages: Common, Draconic
Vision: Normal

Ability Scores:
Str 24 (+17) (base 16, +2 race, +6 level)
Con 13 (+11) (base 11, +2 level)
Dex 16 (+13) (base 14, +2 level)
Int 10 (+10) (base 8, +2 level)
Wis 20 (+15) (base 14, +6 level)
Cha 16 (+13) (base 12, +2 race, +2 level)

Combat:
Init: +13
Pass Percep: 24 Pass Insight: 30

HP: 140
Bloodied: 70
Surge Value: 36
Surges/day: 10

AC 37 (+10 level, +16 +5 nagascale, +1 scale specialization)
Fort 32 (+10 level, +7 Str, +4 cloak, +1 nagascale)
Ref 29 (+10 level, +3 Dex, +4 cloak, +2 feat)
Will 31 (+10 level, +2 class, +5 Wis, +4 cloak)

Conditional Defense modifiers:
+2 AC and Reflex each encounter until hit.
Enemies don’t gain +2 to attack when they have CA on Sarenax

Conditional Attack modifiers:
+1 to attack rolls when bloodied.
+2 melee damage vs. bloodied foes.

Saves:
+2 vs. ongoing damage

Speed 6

Action points: 1
[/sblock][sblock=Attacks and Powers]Basic Attacks:
Melee: +5 jagged fullblade: +27 vs. AC, 2d12+15 damage, 19-20 high crit
Ranged: +3 distance javelin: +24 vs. AC, 2d6+10 damage, 15/30 range

Attack Powers:

Righteous Brand * Divine, Weapon (Cleric At-Will 1)
Standard Action; Melee weapon; Target: One creature
Attack: +27 vs. AC
Hit: 2d12+15 damage, and one ally within 5 squares of Sarenax gains a +7 bonus to melee attack rolls against the target until the end of Sarenax’s next turn.

Priest’s Shield * Divine, Weapon (Cleric At-Will 1)
Hit: 2d12+15 damage, and Sarenax and one adjacent ally gains a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of Sarenax’s next turn.

Strengthen the Faithful * Divine, Healing, Weapon (Cleric Encounter 7)
Hit: 2d12+15 damage, and Sarenax and each ally adjacent to the target can spend a healing surge and regain hit points equal to their surge value + 8.

Astral Wave * Divine, Implement, Radiant (Angelic Avenger Encounter 11)
Standard Action; Close burst 8; Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: +20 vs. Will
Hit: 2d8+8 radiant damage.

Inspiring Strike * Divine, Healing, Weapon (Cleric Encounter 13)
Hit: 2d12+15 damage, and Sarenax or an ally within 5 squares regains 23 hit points.

Blinding Light * Divine, Radiant, Weapon (Cleric Encounter 17)
Attack: +27 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d12+15 radiant damage, and the target is blinded until the end of Sarenax’s next turn.

Divine Power * Divine, Healing, Radiant, Weapon (Cleric Daily 9)
Standard Action; Close burst 2; Target: Each enemy in burst Sarenax can see
Hit: 2d12+15 radiant damage, and Sarenax pushes the target 1 square.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, Sarenax gains regeneration 5, and he and each ally within the burst gain a +2 power bonus to AC.

Holy Spark * Divine, Lightning, Weapon (Cleric Daily 15)
Attack: +27 vs. Will
Hit: 2d12+15 damage, and ongoing 10 lightning damage (save ends). While this power’s ongoing damage is in effect, any ally of the target that starts its turn within 3 squares of the target takes 2d10+8 lightning damage.
Miss: Half damage, and no ongoing damage

Indomitable Spirit * Divine, Healing, Weapon (Cleric Daily 19)
Hit: 3d12+15 damage
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Sarenax and each ally within 5 squares of him regain hit points as if they had each spent a healing surge, plus an additional 5 hit points.

Angel Ascendant * Divine, Weapon (Angelic Avenger Daily 20)
Hit: 5d12+15 damage.
Effect: Sarenax gains a speed of fly 6 (hover) until the end of the encounter.

Class Features and Utility Powers:
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead * Divine, Implement, Radiant (Cleric class feature)
Standard Action; Close burst 2; Target: Each undead creature in burst
Attack: +20 vs. Will
Hit: 5d10+8 radiant damage, and Sarenax pushes the target 6 squares. The target is immobilized until the end of Sarenax’s next turn.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not pushed or immobilized.
Special: A character may only use one Channel Divinity power per encounter, regardless of how many they know.

Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune * Divine (Cleric class feature)
Free Action; Personal
Effect: Sarenax gains a +1 bonus to your next attack roll or saving throw before the end of his next turn.
Special: A character may only use one Channel Divinity power per encounter, regardless of how many they know.

Channel Divinity: Raven Queen’s Blessing * Divine (Feat power)
Free Action; Ranged 10
Trigger: Sarenax’s attack drops an enemy with range to 0 hit points or fewer.
Effect: Sarenax or an ally within 5 squares of the enemy can spend a healing surge.
Special: A character may only use one Channel Divinity power per encounter, regardless of how many they know. A character must take Raven Queen’s Blessing feat to use this power.

Healing Word * Divine, Healing (Cleric class feature)
Special: Sarenax can use this power three times per encounter.
Minor Action; Close burst 15; Target: Sarenax or one ally
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 5d6+5 hit points.

Dragon Breath * Acid (Dragonborn Racial Power)
Minor Action; Close blast 3; Target: All creatures in area
Attack: +23 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d6+1 acid damage.

Bastion of Health * Divine, Healing (Avenger Utility 6)
Minor Action; Ranged 10; Target: Sarenax or one ally
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and heal their surge value +8 hit points.

Bless * Divine (Cleric Utility 2)
Standard Action; Close burst 20; Targets: Sarenax and each ally in burst
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, all targets gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.

Mass Cure Light Wounds * Divine, Healing (Cleric Utility 10)
Standard Action; Close burst 5; Targets: Sarenax and each ally in burst
Effect: The targets regain hit points equal to their surge value + 8 hit points.

Angelic Presence * Divine, Fear (Angelic Avenger Utility 12)
Minor Action; Personal
Effect: Enemies gain a -2 penalty to attack rolls against Sarenax until the end of the encounter or until he is bloodied.

Divine Armor * Divine, Healing (Cleric Utility 16)
Standard Action; Close burst 3; Targets: Sarenax and each ally in burst.
Effect: Sarenax gains a +2 power bonus to AC, and all targets gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of the encounter.

Magic Item Powers:
+5 Impostor’s Nagascale
Power (At-Will * Polymorph): Minor Action. You can transform this armor into a normal-looking set of clothes. While in clothes form, the armor does not provide an armor bonus, but neither does it impose an armor check penalty or speed reduction. You can add this armor’s enhancement bonus to any Bluff check made to attempt to disguise your appearance. You can change this armor back into its true form as a minor action.

+4 Cloak of Displacement
Power (Daily * Teleportation): Immediate Interrupt. Use this power when you would be hit with a melee or ranged attack. The attacker must reroll the attack, using the second result even if it’s lower. If the attack misses you, you can teleport 1 square.

+3 Black Feather of the Raven Queen
Power (Daily * Cold): Free Action. Use this power when you reduce a target to 0 hit points or fewer with an attack using this holy symbol. One creature within 5 squares of the target takes 3 cold damage and is immobilized (save ends).
[/sblock][sblock=Race/Class Features, Feats, Skills]
Racial Features:
Speed: 6
Normal vision
+2 History, +2 Intimidate
Dragonborn Fury: +1 racial bonus to attack rolls when bloodied
Draconic Heritage: surge value = ¼ hp + Con mod
Dragon Breath

Class Features:
Channel Divinity
Healer’s Lore
Healing Word
Holy symbol implement
Angelic Action: When Sarenax spends an action point to take an extra action, he also gains a +4 bonus to attack rolls until the start of his next turn.
Astral Vibrance: When a bloodied enemy is within 5 squares of Sarenax at the start of its turn, it takes 3 radiant damage.
Weapon Training: Sarenax is proficient with the fullblade.
Blood and Radiance: An enemy that bloodies Sarenax with an attack is outlined in holy radiance, granting CA to him and his allies until the end of the enemy’s next turn.
Shield of Ill Fortune: get one reroll on natural 1. When any enemy rolls nat 1 on attack against Sarenax, that enemy is stunned until the end of his next turn, and he can slide the enemy 3 squares as an immediate reaction.

Feats:
Toughness
Ritual Caster
Weapon Focus (heavy blades)
Armor Proficiency (scale)
Skill Training (Stealth)
Raven Queen’s Blessing
Restful Healing
Durable
Uncanny Dodge

Skills: (*=trained)
Acrobatics: +13 (+10 level, +3 Dex)
Arcana: +10 (+10 level, +0 Int)
Athletics: +17 (+10 level, +7 Str)
*Bluff: +18 (+10 level, +3 Cha, +5 trained) (+23 for disguises)
Diplomacy: +13 (+10 level, +3 Cha)
Dungeoneering: +15 (+10 level, +5 Wis)
Endurance: +11 (+10 level, +1 Con)
Heal: +15 (+10 level, +5 Wis)
*History: +17 (+10 level, +0 Int, +2 race, +5 trained)
*Insight: +20 (+10 level, +5 Wis, +5 trained)
Intimidate: +15 (+10 level, +3 Cha, +2 race)
Nature: +15 (+10 level, +5 Wis)
Perception: +15 (+10 level, +5 Wis)
*Religion: +15 (+10 level, +0 Int, +5 trained)
*Stealth: +18 (+10 level, +3 Dex, +5 trained)
Streetwise: +13 (+10 level, +3 Cha)
Thievery: +13 (+10 level, +3 Dex)

Background:
Birth: Cursed. Add Bluff to class skills.
[/sblock][sblock=Equipment]Equipment:
Item Weight Cost (gp)
+5 staggering fullblade (looks like scythe) - (Level 22)
+5 impostor’s nagascale - (Level 21)
+4 cloak of displacement - (Level 20)
+3 black feather of the Raven Queen - 21,000 gp
+3 distance javelin - 9000 gp
Gloves of storing (fullblade & javelin) - 4200 gp

Total Weight: 58 lbs

Money: 94,800 gp
[/sblock][/sblock]
Shocking, I know - not even a hint of avenger in there! :p

Even though most of the blanks are filled in, he's still a work in progress. I'm open to suggestions, and of course making him work better with the rest of the party would be good. And I have to pick rituals ...

CaBaNa

First Post
I was thinking about setting up Guards and Wards, as well as forbiddance, in my Wizards tower.

Leaving my phylactery there.

Setting up a permanent portal with the create portal ritual.

And being able to set up portals where I would likely need travel.

i.e.

I have a permanent tower on one of the planes (haven't decided which is most appropriate yet).

That tower has Guards and Wards placed permanently over it.

Somewhere in the tower is a room or multiple rooms, if my casting goes well, that have Forbiddance permanently cast over it/them.

In that room lay my phylactery. With whatever other small enchanments I can layer over it. Though none so important as the first two.

Elsewhere in the tower (still under guards and wards, if casting goes well) is my permanent teleportation circle, which I use to travel the planes.

When I know I may be facing a challenge that will likely kill me, and I am on another plane or otherwise FAR from my phylactery, I create a teleportation circle for quick travel back to the location. Usually hiding the portal within travel distance of my goal.

I made sure I would have enough healing surges to cast and sustain both Guards and Wards, and Forbiddance. (6 wizard class, 1 con mod, 2 durable feat, 1 item belt of vigor = 10 total = 5 each for Guards and Wards/Forbiddance)

I have enough money to buy Guards and Wards after taking Planar Portal and Forbiddance as my 21st level free rituals.

This helps me to get back to the party quickly, if I happen to die, no matter what plane they happen to be on.

CaBaNa

First Post
Looks great L.S.

Thanks for using my idea, fullblade as scythe is ROCK! I'm happy to see it still working at epic.:D

I'm almost to a point that I can save my dnd4e file and post it along with a pdf for everyone to gander at.

What are the copyright rules on that anyway? I don't want to muck up and accidentally get anyone, me in particular, in trouble.

I'd like the Eladrin ring of passage from P1 king of the trollhaunt warrens. Covaithe, is this item allowed?

Am I considered Fey or Undead?

Last edited:

Remove ads