4e D&D GSL Live

Brown Jenkin

First Post
JimLotFP said:
Funny since the GSL wouldn't allow stat blocks anyway, right?
That was my thinking. They can put in 2x Level 1 Kobolds or 3x Level 4 Orc and let people figure out for themselves to look it up in the 4e MM. As far as I know 4E is not trademarked in any way and most people buying it will also know the DCC line is for D&D so they will be able to put that together as well.

JimLotFP

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
That was my thinking. They can put in 2x Level 1 Kobolds or 3x Level 4 Orc and let people figure out for themselves to look it up in the 4e MM. As far as I know 4E is not trademarked in any way and most people buying it will also know the DCC line is for D&D so they will be able to put that together as well.

Yeah, this GSL thing might just really bite WotC in the butt.

I mean... people can't redefine 4e terms or give statblocks in their publications under the GSL anyway...

What prevents a company from using the OGL (to give access to the basic D&D terms), presenting just plain monsters with no statblocks, and slapping "4e" on the cover? What practical difference will it have on the product itself, beyond not getting the D&D/GSL logo on the back?

Yair

Community Supporter
jmucchiello said:
What is there to figure out? There are only 3 possibilities and one of them isn't worth speculating about:

1) Special license with Wizards
2) No D&D logo, just the wild and wooly world of copyright law
3) Insanity

#3 can't really be discussed meaningfully or respectfully so it's only here for completeness sake. Both the remaining options make one thing clear - GG is not using the GSL.
The thing is that I, for one, would be extremely surprised at both #1 and #2, so this is a rather interesting turn of events and I'm left to wonder which one of them is it.

Brown Jenkin said:
I think that's going too far. Many monsters in adventures are unique and/or original, and the GSL certainly allows to put in their stats. Adventures would be poorer without such stats, sticking to just the MM entries. So I'm thinking that, whatever option they chose, they will put in some original stats in addition to picking up the MM references.

Yair said:
The thing is that I, for one, would be extremely surprised at both #1 and #2, so this is a rather interesting turn of events and I'm left to wonder which one of them is it.
My guess is he is using a special license with WotC. Such a license agreement might contain gag language and so Joe G can't state publicly "I have a special deal." If he didn't have a special deal, I see no reason why he would be cagey about saying "We're not using the GSL or any other special agreement."

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Or they've figured out that they don't need the GSL (or any license) to make adventures.

Alternatively, they may be able to use the OGL to access names in the SRD, or they can simply use monsters that are from real-world mythology - no license required.

CapnZapp

Legend
Ydars said:
This is assuming that anyone actually signs the GSL and produces anything for 4E; so far it does not seem likely that much is going to come out.
You mean one week after the GSL becoming available and people can even start making plans...?

Wicht

Hero
jmucchiello said:
If he didn't have a special deal, I see no reason why he would be cagey about saying "We're not using the GSL or any other special agreement."

Perhaps because by not saying anything he more or less insures that everyone will be talking about his product.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases