D&D (2024) 4e design in 5.5e ?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Thanks to everyone who replied!

There's things in 4e that don't sound appealing to me such as several hour long fights at the like,
Not as common as some present it (never seen it at a table myself but I have fewer players
than many and similar things), I think a 3 round fight is pointless instead of exciting. 4e normal
fights I would say are twice that
but monster and ritual design sounds like it's my thing.

Would a 4e monster book be worth getting for 5e? How easy is
I have definitely seen recommendations of stealing elements directly from it Matt Coleville does for 5e

a cool third party book with rituals

Herschel

Adventurer
There's things in 4e that don't sound appealing to me such as several hour long fights at the like, but monster and ritual design sounds like it's my thing.
Fights are/were much more dynamic, though and only took a long time when they were many rounds and people weren't paying attention, just like when spellcasters don't know which spells they're going to cast before their turn in any edition.

vagabundo

Adventurer
There's things in 4e that don't sound appealing to me such as several hour long fights at the like, but monster and ritual design sounds like it's my thing.
That can be an issue, but its been internet inflated. Mostly it boils down to players himming and hawing on their turn. There is a bit to choose from. However its not unlike mid-level 3e. My players are just damn slow at every game. Were playing Trail of Cthulhu right now and they are still sooo slow.

You can have huge intregated exciting center piece battles or you can build quick little minion speedbumps. 4e has an amazingly transparent toolbox. It needed cleaning up by the end and some rough edges shaved off it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Since we are talking 4e design in 5.5e.

The new UA just snuck in healing surges (much more so than just in the current short rest mechanic):

The Autognome PC race (a construct that looks like a gnome) gets this:

If the mending spell is cast on you, you can expend a Hit Die, roll it, and regain a number of hit points equal to the roll plus your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).
I have suggested an overarching healing surge rule where any time someone gains hit points, they may spend HD to enhance it, probably with some limit but more than 1, and no more than half.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Not as common as some present it (never seen it at a table myself but I have fewer players
than many and similar things), I think a 3 round fight is pointless instead of exciting. 4e normal
fights I would say are twice that

I have definitely seen recommendations of stealing elements directly from it Matt Coleville does for 5e

a cool third party book with rituals

I got one ritual published in that book and got $6 for it. My only writing credit ever I'm afraid.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I got one ritual published in that book
How cool, congrats dude.
and got $6 for it. My only writing credit ever I'm afraid.
I would make many of them lower level in that book, but conversely I consider raise the dead
a paragon level ritual too, I am not shy about adjustments like that. One value of rituals and practices are their ability to help flavor and define the game world based on what ones you include.

vagabundo

Adventurer
From what I know of HD from 5e I think Healing surges are more straight forward.

How cool, congrats dude.

I would make many of them lower level in that book, but conversely I consider raise the dead
a paragon level ritual too, I am not shy about adjustments like that. One value of rituals and practices are their ability to help flavor and define the game world based on what ones you include.

Thanks. It was fun writing them I literially wrote and submitted them the day before.

I do think rituals need a lower bar to entry and really need to be incorporated into the exploration phase by DMs. Its easy for the players to gloss over them and focus on a combat, especially in 4e because it can be so much fun.

Hussar

Legend
That can be an issue, but its been internet inflated. Mostly it boils down to players himming and hawing on their turn. There is a bit to choose from. However its not unlike mid-level 3e. My players are just damn slow at every game. Were playing Trail of Cthulhu right now and they are still sooo slow.

You can have huge intregated exciting center piece battles or you can build quick little minion speedbumps. 4e has an amazingly transparent toolbox. It needed cleaning up by the end and some rough edges shaved off it.
To be fair though, latter era 4e got ridiculous for the number of interrupt actions chaining together. It just made the game grind to a crawl. Far too many times of the DM trying to move on to keep pacing up, and some player chiming in with, "Wait, I can do this...." resolve that... try to move on.... "Hey, if I do This, you can do that..." cue five minute debate over the merits of doing this.... decide not to do it... try to move on....

One thing I will absolutely credit 5e for is speeding up both player's turns and the rounds as well.

Remove ads