[4e] Etene - IC Thread

Lineov

First Post
The city streets are lined with shops, ran by beings of all races, selling everything from small arms and armaments to "Dr. Loopy's Miracle Cure" what it's a miracle cure for you can only guess...
The sun begins to set behind the mountain range to the north and as darkness falls across the city the shops all begin to close and a trumpet voluntary is heard from a distance followed by 5 major slams as the various gates to the city are closed.
As you proceed down the street you pass by numerous alleyways which lead to seedier parts of town but even as the street begins to narrow you find yourself at the tavern and inn of which Fireforge recommended to you.

Before you is a stone and mortar building that has clearly seen better days. Loose bricks have been left around the sides and the mortar is in dire need of retouching... minor repairs have been attempted here or there but nothing permanent sticks out in your mind's eye or looks like it has been fixed in quite some time. Next to the rotting wooden door is the only thing that looks like it has had any amount of care given to its upkeep over the years, a painted sign flourished in an outline of roses and in an ornate decorative hand that labels this building as "The Rusty Polyhedral".

Past the creaking wooden door is a lighted tavern with a piano in the corner to your immediate left next to a stage. The middle of the room is home to a furnace which warms the place and lanterns dot the wall in varied assortments. In the far back corner you can barely make out the image of man... or at least you think he's a man... it's hard to tell under all that thick dark black hair. The table in front of him is covered in shot glasses, and he is nursing a bottle of... something...no defining label can be seen on it. Along the left wall is quite a well stocked bar. Behind the bar is a taller man of medium build with features that make him appear elven, but perhaps he is just a half elf. He gives a friendly wave as you enter the establishment and waits for you to seat yourselves somewhere.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Baern crinkles his nose at the table lined with shot glasses. "What kinda dwarf is it that recommends a place what can't even use a proper mug?! Why, those little things couldn't get a runt goblin drunk!"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Cyrus Du'Caine, Half-elven Bard

"Maybe it's one of those places where you bring your own mug," Cyrus offered. "Always be prepared . . . ." The bard looked around the room, checking for competition . . . he didn't want to interfere if someone was already entertaining and working the room.

'Hrm . . . staying away from tall and furry with way too many glasses around him,' Cyrus thought. He entered the room, and moved to the bar, an easy smile on his face as though he had done this hundreds of times before.

"Hello there, good sir," Cyrus offered, "Just dropped into town and was looking for a room, and a spot to eat and drink. Heard this was a good place to go. I'd be willing to work to help pay for it . . . minstrel by trade."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I'm more worried about the assorted amount of small knives and the not so small swords that man carries." The druid comments to the dwarf, narrowing his left eye as he looks at the sitting furry guy. "But again he's just one, and we have Al-Har that is far more scary than a few swords." the man smiles at the hulking Goliath.
Quinn approaches the bar "We could use a drink, in the name of mother Nature, and for we find the source of these evil creatures, and put and end to them" he says placing a hand on Kohero's shoulder

Lineov

First Post
The bartender places out a clean mug for Cyrus and then motions to the others that he came in with, "Will your friends be joining you?" he asks politely placing a few more clean mugs down on the counter, and places out a few menus. "You say you're a minstrel, well sure I suppose the place could do with some livening up. I myself could use a break tonight from trying to crowd please. Been a wandering entertainer myself, before my grandfather left me this place." Regarding the Dwarf's remarks, "Oh never you mind Lazem... he's harmless...most of the time. He's already out drank 5 today, I suppose if you wanted to try to out drink him you're more than welcome to." The half-elf smiles with a mischievous grin. "You know... saying that you've... how did you put it... 'dropped in?'... You wouldn't happen to be portal bounds would you? Sorry for the confusion if you're not, but I've never really seen such a mismatched group of people all come in at the same time together. Name's Pinnak, by the way, Pinnak Labbé."

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Suren' the others were using proper mugs then, he could match 'em all 10 to 1!" Baern shakes his head and steps up to the bar with a nod. "Seein' ye got proper drinkin' gear afterall, I'll be takin' sumptin' to fill it up," he says with a wink towards the druid, "in the name of an ale."

blaizedm

First Post
Noting the relatively laid-back nature of the surroundings, Koehro was taken aback by how well the inhabitants were getting along. It's been awhile since I've seen so many gathered in one place and all of them getting along without a problem, He thought to himself, recalling the fierce tension between the elven and human nations in his homeland. I fear our time here may become quite extended if we wish to rid our home of these pests. So we might as well enjoy it and make the best of times like these! Picking up a mug, he raises it to his new comrades.

renau1g

First Post
COLOR="SeaGreen"] "But again he's just one, and we have Al-Har that is far more scary than a few swords." [/COLOR]the man smiles at the hulking Goliath.

Al-Har smiles at these words, puffing up his formidable chest a bit at the comments, "Yes, you've already earned their respect." the barbarian thought, "Now, to figure out which one of these guys is going to be the captain of this crew."

The bartender places out a clean mug for Cyrus and then motions to the others that he came in with, "Will your friends be joining you?"

"As long as you ain't got fleas in the bed, I'll stay" the goliath replies, hoping the minstrel can play for all their beds, but just in case...

Regarding the Dwarf's remarks, "Oh never you mind Lazem... he's harmless...most of the time. He's already out drank 5 today, I suppose if you wanted to try to out drink him you're more than welcome to." The half-elf smiles with a mischievous grin.

"I'll be glad to challenge anyone who thinks they have can outdrink Al-Har, scourge of the Seven Cities and champion of the Tattered Sails" Al-Har says confidently, not bothering to explain what the Seven Cities are, nor the Tattered Sails.

Lineov

First Post
Pinnak pours drinks for all those interested and at Al-Har's challenge leaps over the bar with a few glasses in his hand and leads Al-Har over to Lazem's table. Snapping his fingers a few times in front of Lazem's face to make sure he's coherent, Lazem blinks awake with a mutter of "Buh.-ooo-z-beh...drunk?" Setting up a row of 10 shot glasses in front of each challenger Pinnak turns and asks Al-Har, "What's your poision?" Lazem puts a hand up and pushes Pinnak back as he pulls the cork from the bottle he's cradling, and begins pouring. The liquid that comes out is a dark dark brown subustance and smells somewhat like hickory. It spills out of the bottle and into the shot glasses messily but despite Lazem's obvious stupor, he never manages to spill a drop. Looking fiercely into Al-Har's eyes Lazem grins and says, "Here.. I'll give you a freebie..." and takes a swig directly from the bottle before handing it to Pinnak and muttering, "keep this safe for me till i'm done..." Muttering under his breath Pinnak replies.. "...if you ever get done..." Lazem then tips back a glass without flinching, stretches and sits up in his chair saying, "Your turn, bub."

OOC: Rules for the challenge
Al-har rolls a straight up d20 adding only his Con mod (Constitution Check) with a starting DC of 12. The DC increases by 1 per shot... (It's strong schtuff). Three failures and you've officially passed out. The party can assist with a Charisma roll DC 15 to try and cheer on Al-Har (nullifying either the first or second fail once each.) by trying to keep him focused, however between the 5 of you you only get 3 chances to do so, so use them wisely.
If that's confusing .... Al har get's 3 fails against an increasing DC but with the parties successful help he get's a total of 5 fails.
In the interest of saving time, Feel free to make as many rolls as you can until your first failure, and let the party back you up.
If you fail don't worry, this is a challenge that sets up future relations as Lazem is somewhat a celebrity, so it can't really be failed just... not passed.

renau1g

First Post
The goliath, Al-Har, sits in the small chair, small to him at least, and grabs the first glass, draining the contents in one large gulp, wiping his face with the back of his hands.

As he gulps the second drink though, the goliath's head begins to swirl, "I've been away from the bottle too long" Al-Har thinks to himself as he shakes it off.

[sblock=OOC]
Con Check (1d20+4=17)
Con Check (1d20+4=11)
[/sblock]

Remove ads