• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e for couples, OMG your GF rolled a char ?!

Phasics

First Post
Unbelievable as it seems my finance saw me reading the new 4e books and got interested enough to roll up a character !!!! And not some boring human fighter, she specifically chose a Dragonborn Warlord without any prompting from me.

not only that I suggested 4d6 drop lowest (no rerolls) since its more fun rolling stats than buying them when you new.

She pulled

So after i picked my jaw off the floor. I get the feeling she's gonna be pulling alot of 20's hehehe. Anyway her char is set.

Now the issue is she's not interested in playing as part of a group. So basically it'll be a solo adventure. Thus needs seem tips as I haven't run adventure for just one before.

Firstly NPC's should I fill out the group with maybe 1-2 so as a warlord she's got some people to boss around (this fits her persona in RL heheh)
If so should I make them full chars or would it be easier to keep track of them as monsters i.e. 1-2 types of attacks, a few key skills and leave the rest to her.
e.g. maybe a Fighter and a Rogue to begin with ? enough to make those warlord powers useful without the risk of either of them overshadowing her.
(perhaps a wizard to hire and join the group for harder encounters)

Or better just to play it as a straight solo character adventure. I mean I dont want her sitting there watchin me play with 3 characters and a dozen monsters

Secondly campagin , is keep on shadowfell ok for a solo ? or a solo with 1-2 light npc's (not full chars) ? Or would I be better looking for a 3e campagin desgined for a solo and just adjust monsters etc for 4e ? Or just cobble together a basic campagin myself.

Thirdly any issues that you know I'll come across

Thanks for the help
Cheers

Cadfan

First Post
My fiance created an elf ranger this afternoon. Two weapon fighting, bastard sword in each hand. It was her call, I didn't suggest it. Amazing damage output, lousy durability. Would be great with a defender partner, and a leader nearby.

The_Pugilist

First Post
Lizard said:
Why is this so weird? Who dates non-gamers?

You know, I've read your posts here and on rpg.net and I don't always agree with you (different user name there), but I like the cut of your jib, sir!

Also, I don't date gamers. Because if I did my gamer wife would be upset and she perpetually has "Combat Advantage" on me...

Digital M@

Explorer
I am glad my wife is a non gamer (but supportive of my gaming), it helps keep me grounded and my nerdom in check. I do admit, sometimes I am jealous, but for me it works.

A big benefit with couples that game is you have a good chunk of the group all tied up in one package. It is like a two for one. As long as they do not bicker, it is all good.

KotS - Not for a light group, it is tough, tactics are huge in this game and healing is essential to survive, it is build into the encounters

weem

First Post
Lizard said:
Why is this so weird? Who dates non-gamers?

Me. My g/f and I have been together 7 years - she doesn't play video games or D&D. However, she is very supportive of me doing them so that's cool ;)

As for the OP, I have run a few different campaigns at different times for 1 person and 2 people and, at least for me, they can be a blast! In fact, some of my best times running games have been for a single person. I think you really get to focus your attention and the story much more when dealing 1 or 2 players and it really adds something to the experience. In fact, my favorite number of players to run games for is 3 (though they tend to be bigger as I can't leave some people out).

Everyone (in real life or in fiction) has their own story - their own life -- really, there shouldn't be a NEED for more people in order to run a great game except for during combat when they could use some backup, and that can be handled a number of ways. That's not to say games with more people aren't fun because they really are - it's just a different kind of fun.

Focus on her goals for the short and long term. Because this will be primarily about her, you will be doing a bit less guiding and a bit more following -- you may need to help her with goals, etc - giver her ideas as to what she may want to accomplish, but if she i a go-getter as it sounds like she is, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Hambot

First Post
My GF is going with Eladrin Rogue in a solo campaign.

Build encounters with 1 opponent of the same or lower level, or 3-4 minions to start with. Go easy at first - there's no backup PC's to help out.

Don't DMPC the party - she doesn't want to watch you play with yourself, come up with a little quest that can only be done by her special character, and her PC alone.

Since she is playing a warlord, after a time give her some level 1 minion soldiers to order around. New monster stats are easy to learn. Make them 1 hit to be bloodied, 1 more hit to kill so they are slightly more durable and she has a chance to look after them and keep them alive.

Try skill challenges with 3 successes before 2 failures - there's only 1 PC so harder to get successes, but you don't want 1 failure to spell doom.

I've been thinking about how I'm going to do this too... If anybody else has suggestions I'd be happy to hear them as well.

Oh and I'm giving her a map of the world so she can point at it and say where she wants to travel to, and which way she will go.

Remove ads