D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Ty

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
That's not funny. It's just sad and embarrassing.

Maybe my statement wasn't high class humor no, but it is a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that WotC did at least bring some common sense to the artwork for mass audiences no matter who they decided to toss on the cover. At least I didn't post a pic of Baltron's Beacon, 1st Edition DMG, etc. ;)

I'm a 4th Edition pessimist typically but at least they're not falling into the tripe of WoW and video games in their appeals to mass youngish teenage male audiences with scantily clad women.

Traycor

Explorer
Mourn said:
Well, once they have the final artwork, getting rid of it would be basically tossing money in the garbage, since they already paid for it.
Happens all the time. Often times when they want a detail changed, they just comission a new artist to whip up a whole new piece of art.

Case in point... another artist painted a very similar cover for Grand History, but they replaced it with Todd Lockwood's version. Most likely they didn't know if Lockwood would be available so they had a cover made, then when Lockwood was able to do it they used his.

Basically the old piece of art was wasted since it was a close match to that final cover. Too close to reuse for anything.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In many ways I consider myself a fan of FR as a setting...except I've no use at all for Drizz't. That character is the worst thing to ever happen to the Ranger class (2-weapon fighting I've always thought of as something high-dex. Thieves should be doing, not clumsy Rangers), and as others have noted there's a scary number of players who for some inexplicable reason want to replicate him as their PC. And for the record, I've had good Drow show up in my games now and then...but not as Rangers. (besides, what does a dark-dwelling Drow know about woodscraft anyway?)

For an FR setting-book cover, I'd prefer to see some nameless-for-now heroes in pitched battle with some high-end enemy...a dragon, maybe, or a beholder...with a suitably iconic scene e.g. Shadowdale village or Waterdeep harbour as the background.

Lanefan

Holy Bovine

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
What *really* bothers me about that cover isn't Drizzt (heck, it even could be Elminster), but the fact that FR doesn't have a) it's own design any more, but only its 4E cover design and b) Where's my FR logo? Seemingly, FR doesn't have its own logo any more.

And this will probably apply to Eberron as well. A bit sad, I liked the different cover designs very much, as you could instantly see to which setting a book belongs and conveyed a bit of the feeling of the setting.

Cheers, LT.

I agree with this. I'm a little surprised that the setting books have the same layouts (cover wise) as the modules and rulebooks. If anything should have a different logo/font it should be the setting books. The art itself is quite good - I liked Drizzt back in the day (around 1995ish) but haven't read much about him since.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Traycor said:
I'm not sure what everyone is freaking out about. This cover is a piece of art that is several years old. Obviously it isn't going to be the new FR cover. That art was used for the Drizzt mini waaay back.

Here, I'm going to post the mini art, the new art, and then I overlayed the two of them. They are obviously the same picture.

Ah! I missed your post earlier. I wonder if this means they are doing a different font/logo for the setting books. It seems silly, to me, not to.

The Little Raven

First Post
Ty said:
I'm a 4th Edition pessimist typically but at least they're not falling into the tripe of WoW and video games in their appeals to mass youngish teenage male audiences with scantily clad women.

This is where I point out the large amount of cheescake fantasy art that existed well before WoW. Plenty of D&D books with T&A squeezed into inpractical chainmail/plate bikinis.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Mourn said:
This is where I point out the large amount of cheescake fantasy art that existed well before WoW. Plenty of D&D books with T&A squeezed into inpractical chainmail/plate bikinis.

QFT, and twice so.

It's nothing new, AT ALL.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Lanefan said:
That character is the worst thing to ever happen to the Ranger class (2-weapon fighting I've always thought of as something high-dex. Thieves should be doing, not clumsy Rangers) ... (besides, what does a dark-dwelling Drow know about woodscraft anyway?)

I think it's pretty much a case of what you get when you try to model a novel character with a game system, especially a game system that at the time was fairly rigid. "Well, the D&D rules don't allow for a PC to do all these things, so what's the best thing we can come up with? He's both quick and tough and he fights up front and is pretty darn stealthy. He's not going to be in a standard four-party situation so he needs to be able to handle lots of stuff alone. The closest thing we got to that is the ranger. Um, with this other stuff, too."

JoeGKushner

First Post
Not what I would've wanted but I can see why they did it. His popularity factor, his recent anniversary, his numerous graphic novel adaptations, etc....

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
Lanefan said:
In many ways I consider myself a fan of FR as a setting...except I've no use at all for Drizz't. That character is the worst thing to ever happen to the Ranger class (2-weapon fighting I've always thought of as something high-dex. Thieves should be doing, not clumsy Rangers), and as others have noted there's a scary number of players who for some inexplicable reason want to replicate him as their PC. And for the record, I've had good Drow show up in my games now and then...but not as Rangers. (besides, what does a dark-dwelling Drow know about woodscraft anyway?)

For an FR setting-book cover, I'd prefer to see some nameless-for-now heroes in pitched battle with some high-end enemy...a dragon, maybe, or a beholder...with a suitably iconic scene e.g. Shadowdale village or Waterdeep harbour as the background.

Lanefan

Why do you consider Ranger's clumsy? Considering the fact that they live in the wild, and hunt for food, I would think that they would be skilled in moving quietly and camoflauge. Both skills are dependant on Dex in 3E, so the Ranger should have a mid- to high Dex score to be successful in using these skills.

As to 'what does a dark-dwelling Drow know about woodscraft anyway?', keep in mind that Drizzt was trained first as a fighter, then as the lead scout for patrols in the Underdark. He completed his training as a Ranger when he reached the surface and encountered and old Ranger named Mooshie.

I'm a fan of the Dark Elf books, but there is one thing that I disliked about Drizzt: His influence on the design of the 3E Ranger. Seriously, why only give the Ranger only two combat options (Archery and Two-Weapon Fighting)? There are older examples of Rangers in fantasy, like Aragorn from LotR. Considering the popularity of the first two movies, and the fact that they were in theaters by the time the Revised Edition was released, I'm surprised that WotC hadn't included a single-weapon style for the Ranger. Hell, Ren O' the Blade from Pools of Radiance was a Ranger, and he used a two-handed sword.

I've got no big problems with the artwork on the books, though I think the DM Screen has the best. :)

Remove ads