D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Voss said:
I agree. This was one of the few changes they were supposedly making to appease the audience that didn't like the focus on high level characters. While they did say they weren't going to drop Drizzt, putting one of the posterboys of the very problem they said they were going to address on the cover of the book sends a fairly poor message.
Drizzt is a (IIRC) 17th-level multiclassed ranger, who is mostly active only in the North, with some occasional forays down the Sword Coast.

He is, actually, an example of a high-level NPC who isn't setting-disruptive, nor can really be used as such.

mara

First Post
Zaukrie said:
I KNEW this thread would come when I saw the cover, and yet I'm still amazed that anyone here is unhappy or surprised.

As someone else said, there are more Drizzt fans than roleplayers in the world. Why would WotC not try to take advantage of that? They'd be fools not to.

And, for anyone that already plays, what difference does the cover make, really? It is the contents that matter, not the book cover (again, as someone pointed out earlier).

I just don't understand why it bothers anyone that Drizzt is popular. I've NEVER met someone IRL that wanted to play a drow wielding two swords (anectdotal), and I wonder how many of you really have. Also, if people want to do that, isn't that what the game is about, having fun?

One of my friends had such a character, though I don't think he used two swords. Might have, can't recall. The character had multiple personalities as a result of some magical tinkering (a good and a bad side), and who was in charge at any given moment was indicated by different voices. He was an extremely entertaining character.

Nebulous

Legend
Dragonhelm said:
I like it. It makes sense to put Drizzt on the cover. Hell, if I was WotC and if I was to put out a 4e Dragonlance book, I'd put the Heroes of the Lance on the cover.

Yeah, if they had the heroes of Icewind Dale on there i'd be pretty happy! But just one drow -- i just think of how much cooler it could have been.

Like this from Streams of Silver: Why can't they just do something like this again????

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Ty said:
Maybe my statement wasn't high class humor no, but it is a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that WotC did at least bring some common sense to the artwork for mass audiences no matter who they decided to toss on the cover. At least I didn't post a pic of Baltron's Beacon, 1st Edition DMG, etc. ;)

I'm a 4th Edition pessimist typically but at least they're not falling into the tripe of WoW and video games in their appeals to mass youngish teenage male audiences with scantily clad women.

ROTF. Considering WOW has a massively larger female audience than D&D, I'm not sure what your point is. WOW players are almost half female and generally in their twenties to early thirties. In other words, the demographic that D&D would LOVE to get a piece of and never, ever has.

HeinorNY

First Post
Hussar said:
ROTF. Considering WOW has a massively larger female audience than D&D, I'm not sure what your point is. WOW players are almost half female and generally in their twenties to early thirties. In other words, the demographic that D&D would LOVE to get a piece of and never, ever has.
Good point, I'm glad someone finally made it.
Biased or false opinions sometimes cloud numbers and facts and create absurd truths that keep being repeated by ppl that have few or no knowledge about the issue, and it hurts my eyes.

Dragonhlem said:
I like it. It makes sense to put Drizzt on the cover. Hell, if I was WotC and if I was to put out a 4e Dragonlance book, I'd put the Heroes of the Lance on the cover.
QFT.
Unfortunately, such obvious, simple and correct point can't make a "good" discussion, but it's nice to see it's still there, somewhere.

HeinorNY

First Post
And it's not only the Nth time he is on a FR book cover, but that's the second time Drizzt appears on the FRCS cover, so no big deal here, though maybe back in the 2E "the hat for dritz new sum limit!"

I'd rather the new cover BTW.
22575392e.jpg

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
Art Swap, Please?

Irda Ranger said:
QFT.

I like the MM cover, and the DMG cover is decent, but right now my plan is to print the artwork used on the CRS on tacky paper and re-cover the PHB with this artwork.

Ditto - I wonder if it's too late to beg WotC to swap the cover art for the PHB and PCRS. The Player's Handbook, Core Book I for Dungeons and Dragons, should use the art that (1) has the four archetypes (if not roles) represented in action, and (2) has a frickin' DRAGON in (3) a frickin' DUNGEON.

Remove ads