D&D 4E 4e house rules based on the rogue preview

Crashy75

First Post
While I liked a lot of what I've seen in the rogue preview, there are a few changes that I will probably make (though I realize context is important so we’ll see).

#1: Trained skills- I'm inclined to allow rogue pc's to just select 6.

#2: Replace any "light blade" requirement to "light melee weapon". I assume larger weapons (such as the axe) will be too over-the-top, but a little more diversity here would be nice.

Any other suggestions or do you think I'm totally off base?

jtrowell

First Post
Those seems like reasonable house rules, but I think it will probably be better to first wait for the game to be released and try it RAW first, before making houserules.

Crashy75

First Post
jtrowell said:
Those seems like reasonable house rules, but I think it will probably be better to first wait for the game to be released and try it RAW first, before making houserules.
Yeah, I agree. I plan on playing at least a few sessions before I change anything. These are the things that just stuck out for me.

The Little Raven

First Post
I agree with your changes, but I also agree with playing the RAW before making it. Personally, I don't see why any one-handed light weapon can't be used to sneak attack somebody, but Wizards might have a very good game design resign for why that's the case (similar to how Blizzard designed certain rogue abilities to only work with daggers).

Belphanior

First Post
Alisair Longreach said:
I will certainly make knowledge skills like Dungeoneering Int-based instead of Wis-based.

Who said Dungeoneering is a knowledge? In fact, with the playtest report that told us that two characters used Dungeoneering checks to make a runaway minecart jump over a chasm, it seems quite clear that it's not a knowledge at all.

But I suppose it's unreasonable to expect that people will refrain from jumping to (obviously erroneous) conclusions about a game that isn't due for another four months - especially in a thead about houserules. :(

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I have been thinking about this.

1. I don't really have any issue with two preselected skills so house rule or not and its all good.

2. I think could do with a change to help differentiate rogues from each other. I would say that any melee weapon is going too far for the sneak att. etc. My house rule in this would be to change their weapon selection. I would not assign specific weapons but state at creation that the rogue can choose one weapon from each category. I think that the categories fall into Crossbows, Slings and Light bladed weapons - So they can select any 3 bladed weapons any 1 sling and any 1 crossbow. This then takes into account futureproofing when they bring out new weapons etc. No specifically named weapons even if currently there is only one weapon in the category.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well the only house-rule so far I am doing is taking rid of most of the restricted weapon proficiencies, but I was planning on doing this even before the Rogue article.

jtrowell said:

I fought the RAW, and the RAW won. ;)

Remove ads