D&D 4E 4E OGL threads

Belen

Adventurer
Was it the intent to kill discussion by moving these threads to a place that no one will see them?

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In the same way that we try to kill discussion in wrongly-placed rules threads by moving them into the rules forum?

Nah, that's not fair. I haven't had coffee yet.

But no. There's a specific place for OGL discussion, and one for press releases. That's why they got moved. Morrus left a sticky in the forum to point people the right way.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Belen - I saw you edited the thread title from $E to 4E - interesting typo, unintentional though it was, and I got a chuckle out of in a T$R sort of way. :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Belen said:
Was it the intent to kill discussion by moving these threads to a place that no one will see them?

Yes, Belen. The intent was to kill discussion.

Belen

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
But no. There's a specific place for OGL discussion, and one for press releases. That's why they got moved. Morrus left a sticky in the forum to point people the right way.

I did not see the sticky, mainly because I never look at them, so it took me a while to find the discussion this morning.

In any event, I think the effect of moving it to a sub forum that people rarely use kills discussion whether or not that was the intent.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Since I made the request in Meta... first, I request a sandwich. :)

Second, as I understand it, the primary reason that the OGL and Publisher's forums were created was because General was getting cluttered with so many product announcements and promotions. I remember, not so fondly, seeing many posts that were really attempts at free press and advertising by taking advantage of General. That was also the case in the 4E forum after the announcement. The General forums are not supposed to be used for advertising and hype generation.

That said, the OGL is important, and discussion of it independant of third part support, if possible, has a good deal of merit. Which is why, as I suggested in my thread, one stickied thread in the 4E forum to deal with it. However, there is a forum for it, and that's where it should have gone in the first place. I understand people are excited about the OGL and third-party support, but that doesn't mean board rules shouldn't followed.

Thirdly, and perhaps more importantly, it is not ENW's responsibility to promote or otherwise encourage posting in any forum, but certainly not in regards to publishers (and thus the OGL). If people don't go to those forums, that isn't really the administration's problem. Perhaps the discussion just isn't that interesting to the majority of readers. That's not something they can control.

Finally, I'll point out that ENW posts press releases on the front page - those almost always have links to the Industry forums. ENW has forums set up for the publishers. ENW has provided mass exposure for companies and I dare say that without this site the third-party publishers would be doing significantly worse. I think it's rather callous and more than a bit disingenuous to suggest that ENW is quashing discussion.

Belen said:
I did not see the sticky, mainly because I never look at them, so it took me a while to find the discussion this morning.

In any event, I think the effect of moving it to a sub forum that people rarely use kills discussion whether or not that was the intent.

It's kind of odd to complain about the organization of the board system when you openly admit that you make absolutely no effort to pay attention to announcements about it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think that it doesn't seem to be killing discussion, given that there are new posts in the OGL forum every day so far since it's been moved. What it has done, however, is that it's seemed to kill off some of the cyclic arguments where many people are saying variations of the exact same thing, fueled mainly by emotion having it bobbing up and down in general 4E discussion. There's plenty left to be said on that issue, trust me, especially over the next six months.

Remove ads