[4e][Paragon] Kombat Kraziness (closed)

Victim

First Post
You killed it - but not by much.

The combat advantage from spiritual weapon is nice, but without it, your flanking partners probably would have stuck around.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Can I pop in here to ask a couple questions?

How would you all say 4e is working for play by post? Are combats simpler or more complicated to resolve? Do they take more time or less time? Are you having any problems with play by posting 4e?

I ask because I havn't experienced it myself yet. It seems to me like it would be rediculously faster at high levels (where it bogged down the most in 3e), but somewhat slower at lower levels (with more rounds, and therefore more actions per player, meaning more time waiting for people to queue up actions).

Thanks in advance.

Victim

First Post
I haven't really done much 3.x pbp (mostly play MnM here), so I can't offer much in the way of comparison.

However, a standard combat for 13th level (encounter level = party level) took about a month to resolve. It wasn't the fastest posting rate I've seen, but we were still moving things along pretty quickly IMO.

Problems... I think the biggest problem is that teamwork is significantly more important in 4e during combat, as opposed to setting up buffs. So coordination is a problem - working out even something simple in combat could easily double the time between posts.

Keeping track of everything can be tough - I just forgot to use the AP on now deceased Stormrage Shambler, I think I forgot its damage bonus when bloodied too. In tabletop, it's easy to forget things in the moment. On the other hand, in this game, my concentration is often off simply because I came up with all everything months ago. Not really an edition specific problem though.

Interrupts and other out of turn actions are tough to handle. I think that the PCs have missed a few good opportunities to use some of their powers (like Shield) because it's rather clumsy to respond like that. It'd take like 2 seconds to handle face to face. Late 3.5 had its immediate actions too though.

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
Can't say about low levels as I haven't any experience of 4e PbP for those, but I think things are moving along nicely. I get my turn a couple of times a week, usually with some hard choices to make. So, about the same with regard to PbP, with of course the normal differences between 3e and 4e.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
There are a lot more choices, playing at level 13 seems like playing a mid-level caster, you have a fair number of choices for your actions, and there is not always a best power to use. I would second the increased value of team work, a lot of the powers work better in combination with other players.

With all the in combat healing that parties can use, you can be pushed to the edge of defeat and swing back to win the fight, which is usually very exciting.

speaking of teamwork, this round I can heal Narbel 13+surge, and redirect the spirit weapon.
I can't hit the dragon with it (need 15+? roll) but it would give CA. Or we could focus fire on another plant.

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
I haven't noticed a big difference in terns of play speed between the two. It's still a matter of how often players are able to post. I usually find that games bog down in the non-combat sections of the game, as people (myself included :eek:) choose not to add to the narrative, and it just sort of stagnates. IN combat, it's still one set of actions per character.

Immediate actions can be a bit of a pain, but I try to take it on myself as a player to give the DM an idea of what's coming, like when we finally get to focus our efforts on the dragon I'll comment that I'll use Combined Fire when an ally hits the dragon.

The DM's job is a bit different in 4E, but in a lot of ways I think it's easier. There are fewer things to keep track of with the monster stat blocks, and their actions are a bit more easily determined.

Remove ads