D&D 4E 4E requisites

catsclaw227

First Post
Lanefan said:
While I'm in the opposite camp: while computers can be handy when made to do what *I* want (usually by writing my own program), if the game forces me to use one to do what *it* wants (in other words, gives me a program that I can't change to suit my own desires) then I'm not interested. Period.

I agree that I don't want my game to be confined by a software system and set of rules, but the "computerization" of D&D doesn't need to mean that at all.

I would like to see the ability to export standardized stat-blocks, rulesets, and options into XML or an open standard that can allow the multitude of talented RPGer/Programmers make the game more rubust for those that want to use it in different ways. All the great software out there, PCGen, NPC Designer, DM Genie, Dundjinni and CC3, RPGExplorer, Roleplayingmaster, etc.., are immensly helpful to me when I GM, yet very few can exchange data.

Also, simple tasks like copy/paste from PDF into my own documents for player handouts, homebrewing and PbP gaming also constutues the computerization of D&D. There are more and better ways to improve our game with computers.

MadMaxim said:
The only problem I really have with the system is the amount of time required to prepare sessions for high-level parties. It's not that I don't like to prepare for a session. It's even a part of the fun for me, but statting up a 20th-level Wizard can take an entire hour, if you want to get it all right (like I prefer). So, I'd say a general streamlining of the rules, but I still love it as it is.

This is how some computerization can make things easier. Set some parameters, generate your 20th level NPC and then tweak afterwards.

A'Koss said:
I do believe we need to keep the class-based system, but offering more choices of abilities within that class (like many of the Iron Heroes classes do) would be a good way to go. Hit Points - yes, but compress the disparities between the classes as well as high level stat boosts. Races - fine. They are so integral to the game you couldn't just remove them anyway (no matter how much I'd like to see the wee folk - gnomes and halflings stricken as PC races ). Templates are a good idea, even if they sometimes get abused as is typing creatures.

I would like to see skills take a bigger role and better design the feat system ala Iron Heroes. Maybe even offer "Feat Points" like skill points and make each incremental ability less powerful. I want to see a compressing of the HP system. I like the way True20 does hit/damage.

I want to keep templating, move magic closer to the AE way of doing things, or maybe even get rid of the whole Vancian magic thing. (that will never happen). There's got to be a way to reduce the overpowered spell chaining that can occur.

I would like to see the unification of rules. Make Grapple, Turning, Melee all play out the same way, simply with different effects.

Design the RAW to support (at minimum) 2 or 3 modes of play: Low magic, medium magic, high magic.

Just my thoughts....

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Weird as it may sound, I would like 4th ed. to be a bit more like Spycraft 2.0 - keep the breadth of material available to the PCs, but make the generation of NPCs and adventures easier for the DM. While I love spending time with PCGen to create characters it does eat up more time than I find feasible at the moment.

Make the rules for buying off Level Adjustments from Unearthed Arcana core.

Integrate the character retraining rules from PHB II core.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Odd, a 4e thread that does not make me gnash my teeth...

A'koss

Explorer
There's one other thing that Iron Heroes did that WotC might do well to look into and that is the concept of a "Villian Class". A very easy to stat up and run class with few, but good, abilities. They're great for classed monsters and especially for NPC villian spellcasters as you don't need to generate spell lists and such (all their abilities are contained in the class writeup and are generated by CR rather than level). A singular BBEG spellcaster you might want to draw up as a full Wiz/Sor, but all his underlings are ripe for such classes.

arscott

First Post
Elimination of Vancian Casting--Replace w/ spell point system (probably similar to 3e psionics)
Seperation of Wealth/Gear from Character effectiveness
Fewer and more Streamlined prerequisites for feats, PrCs, etc.

Graf

Explorer
In other news “RPG game announces he will only accept new edition of his favorite roleplaying game if game is restructured to perfectly match his own mental image of what game ought to be…”

You’ll be ready for the 4th edition when it comes out, and you’ll buy it.

Most of your changes are either self-evident, simple or contradictory.
(You can’t have rules without a setting in a fantasy game, etc.)

Hussar

Legend
Out of curiousity - Why do we need an OGL? WOTC's production schedule is very fast. Fast enough that it certainly can keep pace with demand. By all accounts, the d20 crowd is a tiny drop in the bucket in the market. Why bother? Most of the big players have gotten out of DnD and have either created their own games or quit entirely.

What incentive does WOTC have to repeat the OGL?

Sammael

Adventurer
Hussar said:
Out of curiousity - Why do we need an OGL? WOTC's production schedule is very fast.
It is? They're now coming out with books that other d20 publishers have published years ago.

Hussar said:
Out of curiousity - Why do we need an OGL?
IMO, some of the best d20/3E products have come from companies publishing under the terms of the OGL and d20 license. Looking over my 3E D&D shelves, the majority of the products I purchased are from companies like Necromancer, Malhavoc, and Green Ronin. Even better, I also see quite a few OGL-derived products that are games unto themselves, to one degree or another: C&C, True20, Arcana Unearthed, Iron Heroes, Mutants & Masterminds, et cetera. I'm grateful to WotC for the OGL, because without it, I wouldn't have those games. For gamers, I think choice is good.

What incentive does WOTC have to repeat the OGL?
Ah, now that's a different question. What's good for gamers is not necessarily the same as what's good for WotC. It wouldn't surprise me if there are those within WotC that look on what has been done with the OGL and see things they didn't anticipate and don't like.

However, because of the OGL, closing up 4E might be a bad move, anyway, since the OGL would work against them, in that case. Monte Cook talked about some of this in one of his journal entries. I think he called it exactly right when he said "...interesting times."

Iron Captain

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
I would like to see a stable, thoroughly playtested psionics system included in the core rules.

No thank you! I absolutely hate Psionics in a fantasy game. They ruin the atmosphere for me. Magic Users who use a magic form of Telekenisis? That's fine but no Psionics.

I would like to see Magic Items becoming rarer and less essential. Perhaps Characters need a Base Defence Bonus as well as the standard BaB such as in Iron Heroes so that they don't need highly powerful magic items to raise their AC.

Remove ads