4e Skill Challenge playtest

LostSoul

Adventurer
Storminator said:
I'm cool with the shapechanger challenge.

Now I need RP hooks heh? Alright.

Erias is a zealot. While well meaning and a do-gooder, he drove his fellow townies and the "high priest" (it was a small village, the high priest isn't very high) crazy with his aggressive sermonizing. He converted the mayor's son to Amaunator (from Bahamut), and his priestly leaders decided it was a good time for Erias to take an extended vacation.

So he was sent on a noble quest to convert people in 5 towns to Amaunator within one year's time. Come on heathens! Time to get right with God!

PS

Sounds cool!

I wasn't going to ask for RP hooks, but I'm not going to turn them down! I like the tension between the two PCs: He's a zealot in the service of Amaunator. She's a troubled servant of the dark gods. Together, they fight crime! ;)

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
RP hooks for Skamos:

I am drawing largely from the quote on top of the pre-gen character sheet ("This isn't as easy as it looks. I wouldn't expect you to understand.").

Skamos has always been bright, outpacing his peers at any academic pursuit. His ease of learning combined with his burgeoning arcane talents have convinced him that he is simply working on a higher level than the normal people surrounding him. It is not a conceit, it is an acceptance of what he has seen throughout his life - the hypothosis has never been disproven.

Unfortunately, his lust for knowledge and the bitterness of those without his skills made staying where he was untenable. He travels the world, seeking lost and forbidden knowledge. After all, if anyone is able to understand it it must be him, right?

[Meta: driven by a desire for lost knowledge. He is not conceited (he is not Gregory House), he simply operates with a larger set of givens for a problem than others, and hates explaining what he feels is "obvious". He enjoys having allies and will be loyal to them, but so far he has yet to make a lasting connection with another person.]

LostSoul

Adventurer
Saishu_Heiki said:
If you are still looking for players, I would love to get into this.

FYI: I would like to play Skamos.

Come on in!

Saishu_Heiki said:
RP hooks for Skamos:

Sounds cool!

Now that I have three players, I'm going to start customizing the backstory for these PCs. The goal is still going to be something like "Corner the bad guy before he kills the town Elder".

More later.

jelmore

First Post
Got room for one more?

If so, I'll take Kathra the fighter (so we have each role covered).

I'll work on RP hooks this afternoon if I get the time.

Graf

Explorer
LostSoul said:
Sounds cool!

I wasn't going to ask for RP hooks, but I'm not going to turn them down! I like the tension between the two PCs: He's a zealot in the service of Amaunator. She's a troubled servant of the dark gods. Together, they fight crime! ;)
Hehe. This gonna be crazy.
It makes the most sense to say that we were probably traveling together because nobody else wants to be around us?

Looking forward to seeing what everybody else brings to the table!

jelmore

First Post
Kathra was groomed from an early age as a shieldmaiden, a hereditary (and valued) calling in her family.

When she picks up her shield and the warhammer her father's sister (another shieldmaiden) gave her on the day she swore the oaths of fealty, she is all business. She takes her duty as a shieldmaiden seriously, and throws herself eagerly into battle -- almost to the point of recklessness.

Although she has earned the honor and respect of the male dwarves she has fought alongside, she finds that many non-dwarves hold little esteem for the dwarf shieldmaiden; the last human who scoffed at the idea of "dwarves who hide behind their women" ended up with a broken nose and some bruised ribs before Kathra's companions could pull her off of him. When she is among other dwarves, or traveling with companions who hold the "proper respect" for her calling, she relaxes, and has been known to crack a joke or two.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Alright, recruitment is closed.

Our party of adventurers is:
  • Storminator, playing Erias;
  • Graf, playing Tira;
  • Saishu_Heiki, playing Skamos;
  • jelmore, playing Kathra.

I am thinking about this for the (player-known!) backstory:

Your party was two larger when you set out to the Lost Tomb of Mardokh: in the Tomb's final chamber, your stout companions Riardon and Corring were struck down when you were betrayed by the foul "skin dancer" Shalmanisar. "He" fled with a relic from the Tomb, and for the past week you've been chasing him across the wildlands.

You have arrived at the small walled village of Belturin, tired but hopeful that you have finally caught up to your quarry.

OOC: I think I'll use this colour for OOC DM speak.

Now, I'm going to suggest that the goal of the skill challenge is "Corner Shalmanisar and stab him in the face." We can negotiate that intent, but the final approval rests in my hands.

Remove ads