D&D 4E 4E: The day the game ate the roleplayer?

wolfen

First Post
Not that this thread needs another post, but...I think it might. I have a counterargument to the Seerow quote...

This may have been brought up before, but what's lost in all the hoopla is simple. D&D used to be a New Thing. Hear me out.

These days, the players are more exposed to programming - which is DnD in a nutshell. They've been exposed to dozens of computer games. And they know that different teams/sides/factions what-have-you are designed to be "balanced" against one another. Virtually equal. But that's not the sad part. The sad part of computer gaming is how incredibly transparent this is. They have played through these electronic scenarios over and over and over from every angle and it's always the same set of fairly predictable results. The player is sort of stuck in a mathematical box and can't break out.

The crime is not the "gameyness" of 4e, but it's potential to simply elicit similar experiences to these. The fear is that it simply won't be "different" enough. It won't feel NEW. It will yield predictable "curves" for just enough variables to feel synthetic, for lack of a better word. If the boilerplate for "class" is fixed, or if there are too few boilerplates in general, it will feel stale.

For all the idiocyncracies of 1e and 2e, these qualities gave the player the feeling that it was possible to do something novel. Everything wasn't locked down tight -- and it was loose enough that one could regularly stumble into new territory. This player-experience coincided with the character's experience of an unpredictable world. Player-character parity could be achieved more easily and immersion was easier to obtain as a result.

People don't want just another venue in which they are trapped in a mathematical box. This is part of the draw of splatbooks, after all. Imbalance is something humans are drawn towards like moths to flame. And yes, as Seerow explores, sometimes that flame burns. But the draw is there, nonetheless.

Now, one could certainly argue (successfully as Seerow has) that the idiosyncratic ripples in the fabric of 2e were exactly what broke the game down into a monotonous system of exploits, house rules, "leveraged" imbalances, and so forth. But the other side of the argument is this sense of hopeless, mechanistic systematization that threatens the feelings of exploration and discovery. Yeah, yeah, you've heard this about 3e....but 4e is 'better.' Better meaning smoother? More systematic? I imagine a very smooth, perfectly engineered steel cube....boring.

But maybe it'll be wonderful.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
wolfen said:
Not that this thread needs another post, but...I think it might. I have a counterargument to the Seerow quote...

This may have been brought up before, but what's lost in all the hoopla is simple. D&D used to be a New Thing. Hear me out.

These days, the players are more exposed to programming - which is DnD in a nutshell. They've been exposed to dozens of computer games. And they know that different teams/sides/factions what-have-you are designed to be "balanced" against one another. Virtually equal. But that's not the sad part. The sad part of computer gaming is how incredibly transparent this is. They have played through these electronic scenarios over and over and over from every angle and it's always the same set of fairly predictable results. The player is sort of stuck in a mathematical box and can't break out.

The crime is not the "gameyness" of 4e, but it's potential to simply elicit similar experiences to these. The fear is that it simply won't be "different" enough. It won't feel NEW. It will yield predictable "curves" for just enough variables to feel synthetic, for lack of a better word. If the boilerplate for "class" is fixed, or if there are too few boilerplates in general, it will feel stale.

For all the idiocyncracies of 1e and 2e, these qualities gave the player the feeling that it was possible to do something novel. Everything wasn't locked down tight -- and it was loose enough that one could regularly stumble into new territory. This player-experience coincided with the character's experience of an unpredictable world. Player-character parity could be achieved more easily and immersion was easier to obtain as a result.

I'm trying to make sense of this and it's just. Not. Working.

Lackhand

First Post
wolfen said:

People don't want just another venue in which they are trapped in a mathematical box. This is part of the draw of splatbooks, after all. Imbalance is something humans are drawn towards like moths to flame. And yes, as Seerow explores, sometimes that flame burns. But the draw is there, nonetheless.

Now, one could certainly argue (successfully as Seerow has) that the idiosyncratic ripples in the fabric of 2e were exactly what broke the game down into a monotonous system of exploits, house rules, "leveraged" imbalances, and so forth. But the other side of the argument is this sense of hopeless, mechanistic systematization that threatens the feelings of exploration and discovery. Yeah, yeah, you've heard this about 3e....but 4e is 'better.' Better meaning smoother? More systematic? I imagine a very smooth, perfectly engineered steel cube....boring.

Maybe. But what I hear from this argument -- not all arguments, just this specific one -- is that D&D was more fun when we were young and (more) innocent, and hadn't yet already played it.

Fair cop. Has nothing to do with a new edition though :)

maggot

First Post
hong said:
Holy quoting out of context, Batman!

I fail to see how that was out of context. His point was the you used to need a DM that understood the arcane rules, but during that point took a swipe at having all the needed books like there were lots of them. I think that swipe weakened his overall point.

hong

WotC's bitch
maggot said:
I fail to see how that was out of context. His point was the you used to need a DM that understood the arcane rules, but during that point took a swipe at having all the needed books like there were lots of them. I think that swipe weakened his overall point.

Holy misunderstanding the point, Batman!

VannATLC

First Post
I agree wit WoTC's bitch.

I mean, I can follow and understand what you say Wolfen, it just doesn't seem to be based on anything, though.

I mean, you have a role to play. One which is thematically and mechanically set, in DND 4e. Within that role, you can do whatever they hell you want. If you're complaining about class boxing, which is something that came from PnP in the first place, not the realm of the CRPG, which, after all, grew out of PnP; which has also been present in every single editition of DND.
If you want to escape that, go play Nobilis.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
wolfen said:

This didn´t make any sense, but i will reply to it anyway, because this is the internet.

AD&D was the best fit for a computer game evar, as the Gold Box games and Baldurs Gate show. And i played seven kinds of snot out of them, but now that i´m over 30, i no longer am in the "noooo, Brain Damage" market. You know, were a guy on the internet tells you that your generation has been transformed in their playstyle by computer games / MtG / too much TV / the Internet / giant space monsters and CANNOT think like we could when we were young. Apparently, our minds got insulated against that by reading lots of literature and AD&D.

Sorry, but this is the "playstyle rots through Brain Damage caused by Media i do not approve of" discussion, and it sucks.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
In response to the OP, I would simply say that me and my group have been known to 'roleplay' while playing Risk. Yes, Risk the antique war game. We'd spontaneously assign a 'character' to the colours ("The Blacks are the apache Indians and North America shall be ours!") and ride it all game long. And our game of Clues could be epic...

So I'm not really worried.

Remove ads