• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] The Wolfcrown, Chapter 1

[sblock=ooc]Sorry for my slow reply. Internet has been out for a few days.[/sblock]

Hedge sighs.

"I understand. It couldn't be helped. Anyway, the wizard, Thomas - Cap'n Scultone told me to check up on his past - mentioned that Thomas may was his leading suspect in the King's death."

You realize that Captain Scultone did not really believe Thomas was the killer, but ordered Hedge to investigate under that pretense.

"So I went to his listed address. No one seemed to live there, so I poked about a little bit. He had a big collection of books in weird languages in the like, and a few books on economics and things like that, but I found a sort of hidden drawer in his desk. There was a letter with the crest of Munsu on it. Now, this man being a wizard, I thought he'd tend to be a follower of Ayur, and with Munsu being tied to the Cloak, I thought maybe the letter had some information in it. Anyways, I read it. There was some threatening stuff in there, like

'you'll get arrested for a crime that you have not committed. in the event that the other accused escape, you will accompany them as their companion. upon our signal, you will turn against them and ensure that they die. follow these instructions, and you will be released from our grasp.'

I reported this to the Cap'n immediately, and he said he'd tell you about it. This was around the time he told me that you weren't really the killers, and that you was instead his agents - looking for the real murderer, and he promoted me for my good work. Anyway, here's the letter, sirs."

Hedge offers the letter to Torath or Doren with a smile.

"I do hope ye find the killer. When I was a little boy, my dad was one of Lord Hood's guardians. Twas a shame to kill such a noble king."

[sblock=The letter]
The note is short, and reads thus:

Thomas of Black Lake:

In three months, the King will die. You'll get arrested for a crime that you have not committed. You will be put on trial and held in Castle Hood. In the event that the other accused escape, you will accompany them as their companion, aiding them in whatever way possible, until you hear from us. Upon our signal, which will be delivered via Sending Ritual, you will turn against them and ensure that they die. Follow these instructions, and you will be released from my grasp.

Bright-Eyed Teach,
High Captain of The Cloak
Chief Secret Keeper of The Church of Munsu[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"Interesting," Thorn muses as she reads it over the recipient's shoulder. "For something planned so far in advance, the attack on White Vale seemed awfully...perfunctory. And Teach seemed to have a lot of faith that Thomas, working alone, could kill us...even with the advantage of surprise."

She scowled.

"I can't tell if Teach was wrong, foolish, or just desperate," Thorn confesses. "Or if he was manipulated by Munsu, who even now manipulates us...towards some unknown end. It may be that Munsu never wanted to conquer the Vale, and that the true purpose of the attack was something entirely different. I just don't know."

She shakes her head and looks back at Hedges.

"Is this all?"

Hedge nods.

"Yes ma'am. That's all I've got. If you like, you can go to Thomas' house. It's in the north quarter of town. There's a guard posted in front. You can tell 'im I sent you if you like."

Before you leave, Captain Scultone arrives on the rampart. He smiles at you all, then addresses you candidly.

"Hello, all. I just had a word with one of the bigwigs in Blackmoor's legal department. I told him that you're back in town and ready to be acquitted. With Teach's confession already recorded, we're going to clear your names in the morning! You'll be officially cleared of all wrongdoing. All you have to do is show up. Then, the hunt for the killer can really begin."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Praise The Four!" Torath exclaims to Captain Scultone's news. He retakes the letter after it has been passed around to all the others. "This may be just a small piece of the puzzle uncovered. But at least it may give us a place to start looking."

Rathan

First Post
Doren gave Torath a brash look as exclaimed his joy about the information given by the captain.

"You do remember who or *what* in this case we're dealing with correct? Let us not pre-celebrate in this situation as we are dealing with a god. This is far from over I do believe as my gut tells me so. And let us not forget how man have given their lives for us and this situation and Mansu's little 'ruse'." Doren said plainly as he arrived a bit late after his talk with Teach himself.

Doren himself seemed almost distracted a bit as he mulled over the words Teach had spoken to him and he stayed relatively silent after speaking.

Phaezen

Adventurer
"This on thinks the group should investigate Thomas' dwelling, but it is concerned that other may want to stop it and it's companions from reaching the court tomorrow" Squeal says and then falls silent, looking at the rest of the group.

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Me thinks it'd be best to keep ourselves right here," Baern says. "If we go snoopin' around right now, there's no tellin' what'll happen, and I'm not inclined to be havin' anyone changin' their mind about our acquittal. Let's just hang tight and get that over with, then we can go and take a look at Thomas's house."

[sblock=ooc]So does everyone agree to wait? Please post if you intend to not wait, and I'll update either later today or tomorrow afternoon.[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Torath nods his agreement to wait till after the trial. He turns to Doren and speaks solemly. "Yes I remember who "tested" us. For that is what I believed Munsu's ruse was, a test. The other gods knew of his actions and allowed them. I believe the lives Munsu threw away daunting, but he will pay for that in time. This I believe. This I promise."

[sblock=OOC] That's a vote to wait and a little more of Torath thinking he may be chosen for godhood ;) [/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"I think we should check out Thomas' place," Thorn muses darkly. "After the trial, there'll have been plenty of time for everyone and their Aunt Sue to have gone in and done whatever they want."

Remove ads