• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Videogame

Derren

Hero
I don't think that that sort of control would fit with a NWN style game. Selecting the direction with the mouse would probably be better, but I also don't think that this will be implemented.

The closest thing to a 4E computer game we will get for a long time will probably be the next NWN2 Expansion which uses 4E lore but 3E rules.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
While it doesn't use the d20 system I believe, it will be interesting to see what the system is like in Dragon's Age. They appear from what I have seen is emphasizing using the pause tactics again and with full parties again. Also more cinematic combat, there appears to be for instance finishing moves.

Perhaps, actually that could work for it, you pause designate the target, activate the power, then select within range where the target is to pushed, then unpause.

Hussar

Legend
I doubt it would actually take that long. After all, Baldur's Gate 2 incorporated a number of 3eism's into their ruleset.

I haven't heard anything in a while, but, how is DDO doing?

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Penny Arcade said it best - as usual:

20080128.jpg

Derren

Hero
I doubt it would actually take that long. After all, Baldur's Gate 2 incorporated a number of 3eism's into their ruleset.

Yet it was still a 2E game.
The first real, mass market, 3E game was Neverwinter Nights 2 years after the edition was released. And computer games only got more compley in the last 6 years, not to mention that the Neverwinter Night branch became much more prominent which also means that the expectations are higher.

Using the NWN2 Engine for a 4E game looks impossible as in this engine its not possible to have feats to interact with powers (e.g. Warlocks Elrdricht Blast can't benefit from archery feats) and that is a big part of 4E. Also the customers kinda expect a new engine for a new edition.

Also Obsidian currently doesn't look like to have enough free resources to tackle such a big project. Maybe after Storm of Zehir shipped they can start with early development, although I don't think a expansion team has enough resources to pull that off.
So 3 years looks like a good estimate to me, maybe even longer.

Does someone know how a 4E PC game would interact with the GSL? After all at will contain a majority of the rules.

Yet it was still a 2E game.
The first real, mass market, 3E game was Neverwinter Nights 2 years after the edition was released. And computer games only got more compley in the last 6 years, not to mention that the Neverwinter Night branch became much more prominent which also means that the expectations are higher.
Wasn't Neverwinter Nights 1 also a real mass market game?

Using the NWN2 Engine for a 4E game looks impossible as in this engine its not possible to have feats to interact with powers (e.g. Warlocks Elrdricht Blast can't benefit from archery feats) and that is a big part of 4E. Also the customers kinda expect a new engine for a new edition.
Well, somehow they managed to make the Metamagic Feats work, after all.

Also Obsidian currently doesn't look like to have enough free resources to tackle such a big project. Maybe after Storm of Zehir shipped they can start with early development, although I don't think a expansion team has enough resources to pull that off.
So 3 years looks like a good estimate to me, maybe even longer.
I think I was corrected at some point, originally thinking EA has the rights to D&D - it is actually Atari/Infogrames (see Ranger REG posts above). I think your time estimate is good and in line with other games. Whether someone has the resources or an interested to put out a new NWN game is anyones guess. ;)

Does someone know how a 4E PC game would interact with the GSL? After all at will contain a majority of the rules.
Electronic rights are not linked to the GSL. The GSL itself forbids computer games, IIRC, but the video game license is not based on the GSL, and neither was Neverwinter Nights dependent on the OGL or the d20 SRD.

Derren

Hero
Wasn't Neverwinter Nights 1 also a real mass market game?

I probably should have placed a "," in there. What I meant was
The first real, mass market, 3E game was Neverwinter Nights (1) (which appeared) 2 years after the (3rd) edition was released.
Well, somehow they managed to make the Metamagic Feats work, after all.

Yes, but by creating new powers with that feat. For example you had a fireball spell, a maximized fireball spell and a empowered fireball spell.

For 4E that would mean that every power would have as many versions as there would be permutations of feat usages. A lot of feats might be doable as they are permanent/always active, but some are not.

For example you would have twin strike, power attack twin strike, axe mastery twin strike, axe mastery power attack irresistible flame twin strike, etc.
A huge mess.
Electronic rights are not linked to the GSL. The GSL itself forbids computer games, IIRC, but the video game license is not based on the GSL, and neither was Neverwinter Nights dependent on the OGL or the d20 SRD.
(off topic)
So what about electronic DM aids like DM Genie? How will they be handled?

D.Shaffer

First Post
A D&D 4E game will likely work like Neverwinter Nights, meaning real time. Everything else doesn't sell enough anymore.
DS and PSP turn based games have done fairly well, actually, and we're getting more all the time. There's been a few turn based strategy games that have done well on the PC too.

Which is why I expect the first turn based 4th ed game to be a portable title.

So what about electronic DM aids like DM Genie? How will they be handled?
1) Not
2) DDI
3) Special License.

;)

As far as I understand, WotC itself must be careful with the electronic stuff - if they make something "video-gamey" (e.g., doesn't require a DM and adjudicates game rules), they break their contract with Atari.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads