D&D 4E 4E WotC Tools dead?

dave2008

Legend
It has died down, but depending on where you are at, it comes up. From what I've seen, most of the conversations here been pretty decent. Although I would not bring up 4E on any of the YouTube channels. It can get quite ugly over there.

Well YouTube is not my thing, so I guess I am fine then :)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Is there still a lot of rage around 4e? I've really haven't noticed a lot of it on these forums anymore. I spend most of my time on the 5e forum now and I see about as much support for 4e as I do angst. There is even a whole thread about how Mike Mearls is bringing the Nentir Vale to 5e in his home campaign.
I dunno. Start a thread about 4e. See how long it takes before it gets derailed by trolls. Not worth the trouble, IME.

It has died down, but depending on where you are at, it comes up. From what I've seen, most of the conversations here been pretty decent. Although I would not bring up 4E on any of the YouTube channels. It can get quite ugly over there.
Youtube is a dumpster fire at the best of times.

dave2008

Legend
I dunno. Start a thread about 4e. See how long it takes before it gets derailed by trolls. Not worth the trouble, IME.

I guess that is my point, I have seen a few threads in the 5e forum about bringing some 4e elements to 5e (or something similar) and they generally seem well received. Unfortunately we have moved on to 5e so I don't have much to post about 4e anymore, though I still go back to to 4e monsters when I need to add some spice to my 5e monsters.

Personally, I think my ideal would be something between 4e-5e with a dash of some new as well.

thanson02

Explorer
I guess that is my point, I have seen a few threads in the 5e forum about bringing some 4e elements to 5e (or something similar) and they generally seem well received. Unfortunately we have moved on to 5e so I don't have much to post about 4e anymore, though I still go back to to 4e monsters when I need to add some spice to my 5e monsters.

Personally, I think my ideal would be something between 4e-5e with a dash of some new as well.
Importing 4E elements in your 5E game is real simple. The biggest thing is just understanding how to do it without offsetting the core elements of 5e combat mechanics. Actually just watch this video last night. I really enjoyed it and I think he really gets to the heart of what makes 4E such an enjoyable RPG.

https://youtu.be/QoELQ7px9ws

Zardnaar

Legend

4E mechanics were not bad as such but most of the hate directed towards 4E basically boil down to the 4E powers and the playstyle that it supported. Combine that with 4E taking away "ye olde D&D" and the 4E Realms I think that was the main problem. Xanathars for example basically outright added 4E encounter powers back into the game no one seemed to care that much. If you were gonna clone any of the other D&D's you could do a lot worse than steal the 4E combat chapter and rewrite the classes for example. Add to the game don't subtract.

The big fracture point IMHO is the 4E play style and things that enabled it like powers, class/role design and healing surges and its why you will never get a 4E clone, 4.5, or an evolution of 4E but they will borrow mechanics from it for 5E (and probably 6E).

Nentir Vale is also suitably generic so you can easily add it to any of the other editions over something like Spelljammer which requires new subsystems vs something like a page of domains in the 5E DMG.

dave2008

Legend
The big fracture point IMHO is the 4E play style and things that enabled it like powers, class/role design and healing surges and its why you will never get a 4E clone, 4.5, or an evolution of 4E but they will borrow mechanics from it for 5E (and probably 6E).

What is the 4e playstyle? This has always confused me. I played 4e like I played 1e and I play 5e like a played 4e. I realize a certain rule set might suggest a certain style of play, but I found that "my" style of play trumps whatever the system nudges you towards. I learned to play one way and built on it over the years, and that is the way I play pretty much regardless of edition.

Zardnaar

Legend
What is the 4e playstyle? This has always confused me. I played 4e like I played 1e and I play 5e like a played 4e. I realize a certain rule set might suggest a certain style of play, but I found that "my" style of play trumps whatever the system nudges you towards. I learned to play one way and built on it over the years, and that is the way I play pretty much regardless of edition.

The tactical powers based system that took half an hour to an hour to run a battle. Took a similar amount of time to the D&D minis game which was around at the time.

thanson02

Explorer
Same here. Although I will admit, I've always had more of a "cinematic style" when it comes to my DMing and the way they explained the abilities in 4E made visualising the cinematic elements to be easier than they were in 3rd Edition and in some cases even 5th edition.

Also, I look at class abilities more as plot-point devices for characters to express the story that is their character and the option to do additional things you normally wouldn't be able to do is a secondary element. Page 42 in the DMG really seem to express that this was okay and encouraged it.

At least that's how I read it......

Remove ads