D&D 5E 5/30 Q&A: Charm, Chases, and Combat Free

Quickleaf

Legend
Dausuul said:
The possibility of combat may not create tension here, but it still exists.
Right, I agree that's self-evident. What I'm advocating is that the principal conflict and tension in a chase isn't combat-focused; therefore what the rules/guidelines should focus on to resolve a chase scene isn't combat, but *something else.*

To be clear, I'll repeat that I'm not advocating a complex mini-game as the only solution. Chases can be sufficiently addressed with guidelines akin to what the playtest has done for Exploration and, apparently, Interaction. I would describe these more as guidelines/toolkits than hard-and-fast rules.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
For me, it's simple. Of course there should be some simple chase rules. During a chase, one party is trying to get away, the other is trying to catch them. The rules simply provide a framework to determine if one side or the other is doing better, if players are able to take additional actions, or if obstacles have to be overcome.

As always, I have to look at Savage Worlds for inspiration. They have an entire chapter of situational rules, including chases, dramatic tasks, hazards, interludes, etc. They're there to help when you need a framework. D&D Next, with its modular natures, needs a similar chapter. Use what you want. Ignore what you don't need.

Remove ads