• By the book

Votes: 104 79.4%
  • Limited to 1 concentration spell in effect, but I forget to ask for checks

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • We just track spell durations

Votes: 4 3.1%

Arilyn

Hero
I don't like the concentration rules. I don't mind if casters stack spells, as it just means they're using up their slots more rapidly, and frankly, in 5e, there aren't that many buff spells anyway. I don't like the scatter shot approach the designers used in determining which spells have concentration and which don't. How come mirror image doesn't require it and blur does? I find the extra rolling annoying and easy to forget. When we used concentration, casters spent a lot of time trying to avoid them, and low level clerics were really annoyed having their protective spells drop before they actually did anything. And low level clerics were annoyed that they had more concentration spells than wizards.

I axed the rules. It has freed things up, and my casters aren't actually feeling overpowered. Course, at our tables, casters share around their spells, not just casting on themselves.

Anyway, it hasn't altered our game in any meaningful way. I'm not advocating vehemently for this change, as I realize concentration is widely liked. I'm not going to argue that what we are doing is better for the game. For our particular group, however, axing the rules has been a relief.

One note: haven't totally killed concentration. Left it for a few spells, like Hunter's Mark and Hex. And spells can be disrupted if caster is hit or injured in some way.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sadly, I had to vote that I keep forgetting to call for a concentration check on damage... :rolleyes:

I have my theory on why it is more difficult to remember than in previous editions. For example in 3rd edition concentration was not about preventing stacking spells but only about losing the spell if you got damaged (or similar) either while casting or also during the spell's effect, if the spell had a duration = concentration. However, those spells with duration = concentration actually required the caster to keep using a standard action to concentrate, and this meant you could not cast another spell (except corner cases such as 3.0 haste). The mere fact that on your turn you had to "waste" your standard action to keep concentrating was a strong reminder that you were, in fact, concentrating all the time!

In 5e when you cast a concentration spell you can move on to casting another spell on each of your subsequent turns, and this makes it easier to forget you are concentrating on a previous one.

All in all, I am VERY glad that 5e concentration rules prevent stacking buffs, but I almost wish it required to use your main action to keep concentrating, even if that would be very harsh.

I agree with what you are saying from a balance and psychological perspective. However, from playing games where you need to wait 10-15 minutes for your action to come up, to then do a "I continue to concentrate" isn't satisfying in general to play. Sure, some concentration spells may allow you to do something directly so you are "doing something", and those should be fine. But to Concentrate on a buff or a static debuff like Hypnotic Pattern might be both a good use of your action, well balanced mechanically, but also just not fun.

Nebulous

Legend
One of these days I really should just do a full pass through the spell list to house rule concentration off some of the lesser used spells.

I think this would a worthy thread of its own. Maybe it's done before, probably has. Revamp the Concentration spells in 5e. Or maybe a big poll so people can vote and comment on which are most eligible for tweaking.

In general I would say that I have been disappointed with concentration as a mechanic. I think it's much too limiting. Rather, I think spells in general have been poorly or unevenly designed.

Take Ray of Enfeeblement. It takes an attack roll, requires concentration, and grants a saving throw at the end of every combat round. There's like 3 ways for the spell to fail or last less than a full round. The effect? Half damage on attacks made using Strength. That's it. Like... Just make the spell only last for 3 rounds.

Why is Elemental Weapon concentration? Why is it 3rd level? It's a spell that adds +1 to hit and 1d4 extra damage to one nonmagical weapon. Is it the hour duration?

It's like the exact opposite problem that Johnathan Tweet was talking about with quadratic scaling of spellcasters. It's so easy for spells to do nothing of relevance.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think the PF2 three action system would handle that well, using one of those to keep maintaining a spell. And I see the wizard ready spells a good bit, but it's usually very simple stuff "I firebolt when the first person comes through that door" so it's rarely something that could get interrupted.

You just described the proverbial scenario where you should NOT use the Ready action :D

I really like the concentration mechanic in terms of limiting simultaneous spells. I also like the mechanic of being able to lose a spell, especially anything that disables enemies without some sort of ongoing save. It both reigns in spellcasters and seems lore appropriate.

What I don't like is being able to lose a spell the round you cast it, potentially before it does anything, which not only is a bummer but also makes spell choices hang more on initiative order. I think if it needs a fix it would be to give some sort of boost to concentration checks until you cast another spell (presumably it is easier to concentrate before you have to focus on other things).

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I think this would a worthy thread of its own. Maybe it's done before, probably has. Revamp the Concentration spells in 5e. Or maybe a big poll so people can vote and comment on which are most eligible for tweaking.
It is done. I was thinking about it after I posted and this is something I want to pursue further. I've started a thread here. For now I'm just starting with creating guidelines about which spells should be eligible for concentration removal to make a first pass easier.

Remove ads